No announcement yet.

My latest GTR ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do a build with SSP. I'm looking for a Canadian GTR R35 to promote SSP here.

Comment

Interesting Jason! Pm'd.

Misspelled from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

Congrats! There are many modding options out there - if you want to chat let me know!

I also organize GTA GTR meets (all R versions welcome) - so I hope to see you out!

Comment

Originally posted by vtknight View Post
          Congrats! There are many modding options out there - if you want to chat let me know!

I also organize GTA GTR meets (all R versions welcome) - so I hope to see you out!
          I've reviewed what's out there in my budget and performance goals and have settled on the HKS GT570 kit and Cobb AP. Just picked up the kit last week actually and plan to slowly go about the install with a friend over the winter or early spring, depending on how our schedule work out Pretty pumped up about this.

Comment

Originally posted by JZ View Post
            I've reviewed what's out there in my budget and performance goals and have settled on the HKS GT570 kit and Cobb AP. Just picked up the kit last week actually and plan to slowly go about the install with a friend over the winter or early spring, depending on how our schedule work out Pretty pumped up about this.
            Okay - well on the Cobb side - as there is a night and day difference between stock and Cobb (beware as you will never go back to stock as it will feel like a bus) - there is also a night and day difference between an e-tune from a qualified shop and the Cobb canned tunes.

I would suggest Switzer, Boost Logic, Jack Cecil, Forged or AMS to do one for you. They send the tune via email to you - you upload it - and then make some runs with it while datalogging and then you send it back for some tweaks and voila - you have a tune specific for your car. They usually run between 500-1000 bucks.

I would also suggest you come over to Nagtroc as there is a wealth of information for you to go through - specifically for the R35 - before buying any other major packages or purchases.

Good luck and I hope to see you out next year - my car has gone to sleep until the Spring.

Cheers!

Comment

I am on nagtroc/gtr-life: username J_Z

Good advice on the tune. Personally I'd like to bring it somewhere for a dyno tune. RS tuning?

Comment

I am on nagtroc/gtr-life: username J_Z

Good advice on the tune. Personally I'd like to bring it somewhere for a dyno tune. RS tuning?
                I don't think there are too many awd dyno's around. I know Magnus has one.

Again - I personally don't think that is necessary as the e-tunes are very effective - especially at the tune and exhaust level.

One shop I didn't put in my original response was IveyTune - they are more local than AMS and also have a bunch of 8 second cars.

Switzer, AMS and Ivey are the top three locally. There us also SPE - but they are on the west coast.

I can see you want to do this on your own - which I can respect - that said - there are so many shops that have done the R&D and gone through the hiccups - that it makes sense (in my opinion) to use someone.

The R35 - as I'm sure you know - isn't like most imports. No one uses Meth for example on an R35 car - although almost every other car can and does use it.

The HKS kit is fine - and was very popular when the GTR first came out.

IF you stay at the tune and exhaust level - and that is a big IF - as I said - you really just need a solid tune. Once you start modding your injectors, downpipes etc - especially on stock turbos you can run into issues. Switzer for example is not a fan of downpipes on stocks turbo cars as the additional pressure will spool the turbos faster and therefore create alot of additional heat. The stock turbos are very small - and I have seen cars with injectors and DP's go into limp mode time and again when they are racing due to the heat issue.

I am a big believer of two stages of power - tune and exhaust (no injectors or DP's) and then big/bigger builds which involve after market or modified turbos. My Switzer P600 was a 10.8's car at about 130 MPH. I have seen injector and DP cars ET the same and sometimes have a 1-3 MPH difference on their trap speed. That said - I beat many cars with much more power than mine - who did have DP's and injectors (I actually had the lowest dyno'd numbers of about 500 to the wheels). It's all about the tune.

Here is my P600 vs an AAM 750 build - which should have smoked me;

The AAM GT-R has substantial mods beyond my tune and exhaust - he just had traction issues.Besides the fact it's his first time to the drag strip (he's an aw...

To me - putting your stock internals to that much more abuse for an additional tenth - or worse if you road course - that much more temp/limp mode issues - just isn't worth it on an expensive car. I am not a rich guy and was sponsored by Switzer in order to get my R1K - so I went with safety first. I was originally going to the P800 level - which for 1/4 mile is all I would have needed (about 10.1-3's at 138-140 MPH). That level is the limit for stock internals.

The rule of thumb is 600 lbs ft at the wheels is the most the stock internals (especially rods) can take.

Good luck J_Z!
                Last edited by vtknight; 11-24-2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input man, appreciate it.

To be honest I'm so busy with work and all, wading through the wealth of info on nagtroc is something I plan to do over the Xmas holidays. I got an incredible offer on the HKS kit, trust the quality and R&D behind their stuff (based largely on my past R32-R33 GTRS) and pulled the trigger. I won't disclose what I paid here but HKS having dropped out of the North American market recently has produced some crazy close out prices.

I want this car to be a 90% street car, 10% circuit car. I have tracked a lot of my past cars but like you I'm not made of money and don't want to hurt this thing . (I'll pick up another R32 for track duty next year). I'm quite sure I'll be pleased with just the 570 kit as is, with stock intake and exhaust, and a good tune for that extra oomph.

Comment

Thanks for the input man, appreciate it.

To be honest I'm so busy with work and all, wading through the wealth of info on nagtroc is something I plan to do over the Xmas holidays. I got an incredible offer on the HKS kit, trust the quality and R&D behind their stuff (based largely on my past R32-R33 GTRS) and pulled the trigger. I won't disclose what I paid here but HKS having dropped out of the North American market recently has produced some crazy close out prices.

I want this car to be a 90% street car, 10% circuit car. I have tracked a lot of my past cars but like you I'm not made of money and don't want to hurt this thing . (I'll pick up another R32 for track duty next year). I'm quite sure I'll be pleased with just the 570 kit as is, with stock intake and exhaust, and a good tune for that extra oomph.
                    I think that's a good plan J_Z...Again - a good tune and exhaust is good for a high 10 car with about 600+ crank HP. That should be fast enough for you...

Good luck and I hope to see you out in 2013!

Comment

(I'll pick up another R32 for track duty next year)
                      super duper like
                      Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Whats an "R version" ?
                        Real Skyline owners have lost at least one to a freakish accident (*- ω -) = #dungive'a

Comment

Originally posted by RABBIT View Post
                          Whats an "R version" ?
                          I'm not sure if you are joking - but...

I believe he means all R versions of the GTR...R30, R31, R32, R33, R34 and R35 are welcome.

Cheers!

Comment

Wow thats rad as **** man, wish i could afford one, or even a r32

Comment

I'm not sure if you are joking - but...

I believe he means all R versions of the GTR...R30, R31, R32, R33, R34 and R35 are welcome.

Cheers!
                              There was an R30 and R31 GTR? Are they new or somthing?
                              Real Skyline owners have lost at least one to a freakish accident (*- ω -) = #dungive'a

Comment

Originally posted by RABBIT View Post
                                There was an R30 and R31 GTR? Are they new or somthing?

...not sure if he's referring to the GT-R name only being implemented for R32s onward
                                Last edited by MarusGTR; 01-30-2013, 10:28 PM.
                                1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Working...
                                X