GTR sandbagging it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTR sandbagging it?

Saw this neat dyno of the GTR. Stock...460whp!

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

hum that's nice

but they should change their marking cause it says BHP at both places
    Marc-André
    _________
    2.2L RB20 GTS-T
    ECU modification enabled - PM me for details

Comment

Sorry but a stock GTR can't have 460 whp ....me its stock ( exhaust and Apexi power intake ) with a tuning on the dyno at 12 psi and I got 340 Whp ! ( and its very good ) 460 WHP its the power I will have with my new turbo and new injector at 18-20 psi of boost ...
      Nissan Skyline GTR 1989 " Mint Condition "

340 Whp and 300 pound of torque

12.83 sec at 110.408 Mph

Comment

Originally posted by SkylineGTR89 View Post
        Sorry but a stock GTR can't have 460 whp ....me its stock ( exhaust and Apexi power intake ) with a tuning on the dyno at 12 psi and I got 340 Whp ! ( and its very good ) 460 WHP its the power I will have with my new turbo and new injector at 18-20 psi of boost ...
        Ummm, this would be the new GTR, as the forum topic would indicate ^^^.

but on topic, thats cool, its nice to see them under-rating their cars. Its funny when so many manufacturers like to fudge numbers, Nissan still has class.
        My Garage Sale -

Comment

i think its part of the GTR's reputation

example 1989 GTR 287 hp from factory.. ( we all know that some have dyno'd over 300 whp, with factory specs..

also it my have something to do with the "gentelmen's agrment" from the days of old..? back then 300 hp, was the "limit"..

so perhaps todays "limit" 500 hp??

Comment

In Japan and many other countries, cars with over 500 hp automatically go into a much higher tax bracket, and have significantly higher insurance in any country. 500hp seems to be where the current line is for "a wicked excess of power", whereas given the weight of vehicles today, anything under that number could still be considered "reasonable".
            Watch this space...

Comment

Did no one take into account what sort of dump this was on, there can be as big as 20% difference between read outs. Need to compare apples to apples

Comment

Is that the 550hp 2012+ R35 GTR or earlier model with less hp???

The turbo's, intercooler size were slightly bigger on each model (R32, R32, R34).

From memory they were (stock) -

R32 GTR 310hp at engine
                R33 GTR 320hp at engine
                R34 GTR 330hp at engine (there's a dynochart floating around the internet somewhere showing this difference).

R34 GTR stock turbo's were closer to N1 spec turbo's and noticed some big hp gains with correct size exhaust, breathing mods to suit (magazine article). One I know of produced around 460hp at engine with stock turbo's, boost up mods. With boost up mods, R32 GTR stock RB26 is capable of 430ps at engine (can get more hp with drop in cams, adjustable camgears, N1 turbo's, etc, which is what I noticed some tuners do in Japan).

They found a 13hp difference (magazine test in Japan) from highest to lowest (usually due to internal wastegates being at slightly different psi, etc) when 10 or so cars were tested back to back on same dyno.

Also N1 GTR was the same (seen some dyno charts of R33 N1, R34 N1 engines, showing the hp differences with basic breathing mods, ECU tune, etc).

R33 N1 engine 440ps
                R34 N1 engine 455ps

R32 N1 GTR was around 400ps, which like said above, is easily achievable with stock turbo's, boost up mods. As far as I know, it was the only GTR to win the Nurburgring 24 hour race in it's class.

Also had the Group-A turbo's, but only fitted to Nismo spec R32 GTR (rare), Group-A models.
                Last edited by Skym; 04-08-2013, 08:27 AM.
                RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Some of these old threads are priceless.....so many names that had only a few posts........

Turbo cars are VERY hard to keep consistant from area to area and car to car. So many things can throw the readings off.....some high, some low.

Although.....I totally think that the cars are being sandbagged from the factory (I think alot of "high performance" cars nowadays are). I have a feeling this all stems from the rediculously embarrasing situation that Ford was in back in the late '90s with the 4 cam Cobra Mustangs that were, lets just say, underwhelmingly powerfull for the $20k premium over a stock Mustang.....to the tune of a good 25hp LESS than advertized (tested at a whopping 15hp more than a stock 2 cam). They wore ALOT of egg on their face over that and EVERY other manufacturer (here and overseas) saw that.

Jon.
                  Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

I'm not sure where you found this info, but it is completely untrue. Japan has no HP limit for tax or insurance whatsoever.
                    The agreement in Japan to not produce cars developing over 280hp however is true.
                    In terms of taxation, shaken (vehicle inspection) costs and annual vehicle tax are based on engine size. A 2.6L GT-R would have cheaper taxation than, for example, a 3.5L Murano.

Originally posted by Cruiserdude View Post
                    In Japan and many other countries, cars with over 500 hp automatically go into a much higher tax bracket, and have significantly higher insurance in any country. 500hp seems to be where the current line is for "a wicked excess of power", whereas given the weighti of vehicles today, anything under that number could still be considered "reasonable".
                    RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
                    http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
                    1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl @ RightDrive View Post
                      The agreement in Japan to not produce cars developing over 280hp however is true.
                      It was abandonned in 2005 (originally from 1989). The point was to avoid an horsepower war amongs Japanese manufacturers in a country where the speed limit is 100km/h.
                      2009 R35 GT-R
                      1990 R32 GT-R

Comment

Way to revive an OLD thread as your 3 post new comer....
                        No build thread.
                        1991 nissan
                        El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Ha!! Priceless indeed. Most speed limits on the freeways are 80km/h in japan. A few are 90km/h in really open rural areas but that is not the norm. Not to say that anyone actually goes that slow, on the Tomei FRWY if you dont do 140km/h in the fast lane ...your ass is gonna get plowed into. The limit is more of a guideline....

Jon.
                          Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Working...
                          X