Putting a meter on your internet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting a meter on your internet!

The CRTC just decided to let your Internet Service Provider put a meter on the Internet!

Bell Canada and other big telecom companies can now freely impose usage-based billing on independent Internet Service Providers (indie ISPs) and YOU. Big Telecom companies are obviously trying to gouge consumers, control the Internet market, and ensure that consumers continue to subscribe to their television services.

This means we’re looking at a future where ISPs will charge per byte, the way they do with smart phones. If we allow this to happen Canadians will have no choice but to pay more for less Internet.

This will crush innovative services, Canada’s digital competitiveness, and your wallet.

We need to stand up for the Internet. sign the petition! we need to try to stop this...

if this happens im cancelling my internet and ill just go to my local library where it is free.

CUTE CUTE

ill just cancel my interwebs and go back to living in my cave.

Comment

Wow, thats sad. I've already been shocked at how Rogers traffic shapes. What is the point of having 50mbps internet if they only allow you 10mbps? Beyond me....
      Internet should be free, or at least MUCH cheaper and faster than it is now, not more expensive.
      Last edited by Daryl @ RightDrive; 01-08-2011, 02:01 PM.
      RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
      http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
      1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

if this happens my gf would be so happy since i will no longer be playing online games...

i dont see this happening though...

i could see them having this as an option for customers... kind of like a pay as you go type of internet...

this would be good for people like my mom, if she were to have a computer.... people who dont use the internet very often could benefit from this type of service. instead of paying $50 per month they could pay alot less...

the worst part of this though is how in my area the internet provider is only using about 30% of the capacity of what they can do... i say open up the flood gates and let us have fast internet
        How many kids with A.D.D. does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Wanna go ride bikes...

R.I.P \'87 4cyl Rustang
        \'03 Dodge SX2.0
        \'90 GTR32

Comment

That's ridiculous. If they do that, then bye bye internet...
          Originally posted by kengeroo
          that's what I thought when I opened the package..
          ...don't drink and ebay
          '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

I noticed Shaw lowered their caps and now we gotta pay an extra $1-2 per GB over the cap. I remember the days of a phone call to tell you to d/l less...

Comment

I do not see this happening as the big business in Canada (if not most relies to fast internet services)

Changing this to per byte usage will not benefit big corporations like my work

Our offices relies on internet to share data throughout its offices

Comment

Rogers and Bell has been fukcing everyone over for a while, contrary to what they say, 60GB for four people who use a computer regularly just isn't enough, we have to pay the maximum overage fee of $50 each month, bunch of scam artists.

Comment

Shaw is the same. 60gb for high speed i think. I wouldn't be surprised if they all got together and made some kind of agreement

Comment

petition signed!
                    Originally posted by victoriaGTR
                    tire smoke makes my wiener tingle.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl @ TunerLab.jp View Post
                      What is the point of having 50mbps internet if they only allow you 10mbps? Beyond me....
                      Videotron does what they call "traffic management". They say its to prevent one specific user from sucking all the juice from the area (since the overall connection is shared with multiple users).

Every 15 minutes, the systems scans usage rates to see if congestion is reaching their threshold level, and if it is, they identify the modem that was using the most bandwith and they limit its bandwith usage.
                      R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
                      http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

Conveniently we get free unlimited interwebz at school and the library. Good thing the only thing I do on the internet is GTRC.
                        Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Yeah i don't think manitoba has an over usage problem, because i've never heard of any of the fee's/ penalties that everyone is talking about. I'm using free wifi at the college on my lap top as i write this.

I don't know if winnipeg being an energy hub has anything to do with it...like we have lots of water running to our city, and manitoba hydro takes advantage of it, i believe it's one of our provinces main exports!

Regardless i signed that mother!
                          Originally posted by Paradis
                          ^^ hows not being rich going? ...haters be hatin

Comment

Signed.. Im not a fan of pay per Data..

here is my data usage for the past couple months:

Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

^ what do you download... lol
                              2009 Mercedes C63 AMG. Daily
                              1969 Cooper S. Restored
                              1994 Rover Mini 1460cc, 134whp, 7 port fuel injected w/ITB's, & straight cuts w/ 4.67 gearing

Comment

Working...
                              X