No announcement yet.

Need a good point-and-shoot under $200.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a good point-and-shoot under $200.

My crappy 4 year old Olympus has been retired, and I want to buy a nice point-and-shoot before the Revscene meet next week.

I'd like something with at least 10MP, and a li-ion battery, not AA batteries. Most importantly, it must take photos quickly. My old camera couldn't handle capturing motion at all, and it took forever to focus and take the photo..even then, most would come out blurry - incredibly frustrating.

If I could get a decent and ready to use DSLR in the 400 or less range, I'd rather do that. Used is fine.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
    03 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT "Valerie"

pick up a Nikon D40,,,

one of the best starter DSLR on the market,,,

Comment

Contact the guys at bigboymedia.net, they are more than capable at taking motion shots. Their main goal is covering drifting around the Pacific NW. You can message Canadianjoker on GTRC, he is Josh from BigBoyMedia.
      Last edited by mfroese; 03-10-2011, 10:14 PM.
      sigpic
      89 Nissan Skyline GTS-t sports limited sedan
      4 door love.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies.

mfroese, I'm actually looking for a camera to take my own shots with, I'm not looking for a shoot by another photographer, but thanks.

What does everyone think about the Canon XS? I'm finding quite a few of these on CL for low prices.

Comment

i picked up a fujifilm s1500 has 10 mp and 12 optical zoom for only 130 and take quick shots pretty well
          Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

^Apparently, that model is discontinued, so I probably won't be able to find it in stores. Also, I think it uses AA batteries, does it not?

Thanks

Comment

ya it does thats the only bad thing but you could get the next model up which is the s1800 12mp and 15 op zoom i think and its under 200 aswell
              Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
              http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

i guess it all really depends on what you want out of the camera. if you want to start learning photography and really get into it, finding a used d40 w/ kit lens would be a good start. you can grow into the camera and pick up newer lenses. (btw you can use nikon lenses all the way back to the 70's on that camera, nikon never changed their mounts. tho af might not always work)

if you looking to just throw something in your pocket and go, any of the newer canon's are a good way to go. seen some pretty good images come out of them, you just dont have the same control as a dsrl.
                Automotive photos from around the Pacific North West.
                www. BigBoyMedia.net

Comment

It's asking a lot, but I want something practical that shoots quickly, and if it has image stabilization, all the better. I don't know if it's at all possible, but it would be nice to be able to replicate the low depth of field effect of a DSLR with a p&s. Going through the photo and editing it to achieve the effect afterwards is quite time consuming.

Again, I really just want something that can capture motion and won't take blurry photos. Right now, I'm looking at a used Canon XS DSLR package.

Thanks canadianjoker, I'll check out the newer Canons.

Comment

Originally posted by QuietChaos View Post
                    Again, I really just want something that can capture motion and won't take blurry photos. Right now, I'm looking at a used Canon XS DSLR package.

Thanks canadianjoker, I'll check out the newer Canons.
                    if you want to capture motion you need something (whether it be a dslr or p.s.) that you can control its settings with. the reason a P.S. is hard to capture motion with is that you can't really choose your shutter speed.

what kinda motion are you talking about? a car racing around a track or?
                    if you can get your shutter speed down to 1/125 or lower you will get that really nice blur behind the car, wheels spinning, but you have to pan with the camera.

the DOF is going to be a little harder to achive with a P.S. just because of the glass. A longer lens/ lower f-stop will give you some awesome bokeh, but that is a bit more pricey then your standard kit lens on a dslr.
                    Last edited by canadianjoker; 03-11-2011, 12:44 AM.
                    www. BigBoyMedia.net

Comment

If i were you I'd grab a cheaper used canon rebel like an xsi or xti, if you can find one priced that low with a kit lens (xsi for sure, xti is a bit nicer and genearlly a little bit more expensive). The next 100 bucks you get spend it on a Canon 50mm 1.8 and you can achieve those shallower D.O.F. shots you are after with the faster glass. Its an outstanding lens for the cost.

If you have any photography questions do not hesitate to PM me.

Comment

Also a 50mm lens on a crop sensor body is actually a 80mm focal length. which would be pretty ideal captureing a car on a track at a safe distance.

just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by xkylex View Post
                          Also a 50mm lens on a crop sensor body is actually a 80mm focal length. which would be pretty ideal captureing a car on a track at a safe distance.

just my 2 cents.
                          I rarely use my 50mm f1.8 on the track any more, just not enough reach from behind the walls/barriers. find your self a decent 70-300 f4.6-5.6 and you will be good for a long time. im not saying dont get the 50mm, they are cheap and awesome lenses, just grab your self something a little bigger if you want to shoot on the track.
                          www. BigBoyMedia.net

Comment

D40X, or the new D3100. I'm looking at grabbing the latter. Quite nice DSLR's
                            Originally posted by kengeroo
                            that's what I thought when I opened the package..
                            ...don't drink and ebay
                            '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Maybe I'll move up to a DSLR when I get more serious.

I have a $100 gift card for Sears, and was looking at their P&S cameras. Thoughts on this Canon?

I was surprised that it's actually priced lower than at Future Shop. It does use AAs though, and doesn't take HD video.

Comment

Working...
                              X