Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$1 a month pledge per person to help 12 enthusiasts on GTRC buy parts or Skylines

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1 a month pledge per person to help 12 enthusiasts on GTRC buy parts or Skylines

I have an interesting idea that I had when I was thinking about how much many of us struggle with buying quality parts and how badly I want to have a Skyline again. I know that I am not alone in that.

This is the idea:

We have over 6000 active members on GTRC. Imagine if each member just pledged $1 a month towards a central account, we would have $6000 every month. And each month, we can give that money to a fellow GTRCer for either buying a Skyline or towards mods. The trick is to get at least the 6000 active members to pledge a dollar or whatever amount each can.

There is a reason I propose this: A dollar a month is NOTHING for most of us. We lose more change than that inside our cars. But it all adds up. And this can be OUR way to actually make a concrete difference towards the passion of our fellow Skyline enthusiasts. I think it is a great idea. $1 a month is something that even a jobless guy like me can pledge.

How to select the successful recipient can be based on a popular vote in terms of adding value to GTRC or Skyline community, iTrader feedback score, the level of passion, or simply a luck of the draw with the condition that once a member wins it, she/he doesnt qualify for another prize for the next 12 months. That way this money will be circulated within our community and will benefit people who are passionate about this car, but find themselves challenged financially. I mean why not help each other out for a dollar a month?

I request the mods or site owner to kindly start this on GTRC. Ask members to pledge certain amounts just for a month at a time or for 6 months or a year, let someone who is respected in the community and is trustworthy (like Dan - GTRDad, Dave -ZTuned, Nick - gtrtt, or anyone else who is a bit experienced) manage the fund and then disburse it every month.

It is an idea that I believe is very practical, possible, valuable and would strengthen our brotherhood.

If people agree with me, and the officials dont have a problem with it, I seek like-minded people to join me in it. Let's do it. Lets really make a BIG difference to our fellow members.
    (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

Cheap, Reliable, Fast.....PICK TWO
    SERENITY NOW!!!!!!
    HEAVY METAL IS THE LAW........EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST CRIME

In fact, we dont have to fix a minimum or max amount. We create a bank fund and every month have a pledge drive for it. Whatever the fund balance, it goes to one lucky winner.
    (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

this is very idealistic.. but i do like the idea... Perhaps you have to register and have certain criteria be filled to be considered for the money. Examples:
      "everybody in family just died, and looking for a skyline as distraction"
      "saved up for 4 years to buy car and it blew up in a week"
      "trying to get into racing competitively but need more funds"
      "thinks judasentinel is a sexy beast"
      something such as that.... so that way somebody with a 800awhp GTR doesn't get funds that could have gone to helping out an 18 y/o get their car rolling
      ----------------------------------------------
      widebody rb25 r32
      Built by Fraser Valley Imports not Bought
      We aren't just Importers, We are Owners
      friends of:
      genetic tuning!!!

Originally posted by Muss
      Now why would two best friends fight? I'd say they'd just make a cookie pie, tell each other bed time stories and have a sleepover.

Comment

Good point!! Yes, it is an idealistic conept but it is a practical and workable one, with potential to make a positive difference to the community. That's what I want to do. And for starters, I will not even be part of the group that qualifies, so people dont think I want this for myself.

I am going to put this out there......let's come up with 5 robust criteria for selection. Once we have that basic yardstick in place, we will need to have people come onboard. I am even willing to make a financial deal with GTRC owners for this - they can get a small cut for it too, as long as we can all benefit from this. My whole point is that we waste a lot of money on things that we dont even use in life. We lose mroe than a dollar a month. If all of us are willing to commit $12 ($1 a month), imagine how long this would go towards helping a fellow GTRCer.

That's all.

If there is a general agreement on the idea, then I will get cracking on the mechanics and logistics of it. Right now, I want feedback and opinions, as well as support. So come on guys....lets show our community we are ONE together.
        (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

Its a noble idea...however skylines are so inexpensive now that if you cant afford one then you cant afford the maintenance, insurance, and gasoline costs associated with owning a vehicle. Guy wins a free car, sells it in two months because he can only afford the bus. Vehicles are a luxury, give your dollar to someone who cant afford to eat.
          Regards,
          Ken.

Bayside Blue '89 HCR32 RB22 "MORE POWA"
          http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/49160-kens-1989-babyzilla.html
          Blue '14 Mazda CX-5 - GF's Grocery Getter
          White '10 Mazda 3 - Daily Driver

Comment

No. 1 criteria....All funds gained or awarded must be used solely for the winning members skyline.

I could use money to help pay for school, but it would be wrong if I was fortunate enough to get the money generously donated by the gtrc community and used it for tuition.
            Originally posted by Paradis
            ^^ hows not being rich going? ...haters be hatin

Comment

Originally posted by TheyKilledKenny View Post
              Its a noble idea...however skylines are so inexpensive now that if you cant afford one then you cant afford the maintenance, insurance, and gasoline costs associated with owning a vehicle. Guy wins a free car, sells it in two months because he can only afford the bus. Vehicles are a luxury, give your dollar to someone who cant afford to eat.
              I compleatly agree with you. For many people such as myself, its not the cost of buying the car it is maintaining it and the other costs that follow. Don't get me wrong I love the idea its just there are many issues with it.
              I drive a Honda...

Comment

Ken, I respect your point of view. Yes, it would be a great idea to help those who dont have the money to eat. But the point is not about what to do with an extra dollar that we have. If we approach it from the side of the hand that is giving the money, then yes by all means give it to charity.

I am approaching it from the other side - the side that is sacred and close to our hearts, a fellow Skyline owner/enthusiast. If we were to give everything to charity, then there will be no sweepstakes, no pledge drives for any purpose other than to feed the needy. See this is my personal opinion - that for some people food is more important and for others, it is clothing or shelter or a car or anything else. It is a judgement call as to whether you think one thing is RIGHT and the other is WRONG. It doesnt have to be an either/or situation - that you eithe rgive a dollar to the hungry, OR give it to a fellow GTRCer to fix his car or buy one. Why cant it be both? And honestly, how many of us actually do give a dollar to charity every month? Many do, but perhaps not all do.

My point is simply that I am approaching it from the standpoint of the good of our passion. It is ONE way we can contribute to a positive cause. You give a dollar to a homeless person to buy food. He goes and buys drugs. Will you stop giving the money? NO!! Even morally, its not your responsibility as to what he does with it. Your good deed starts from your act to give and it ends at his receiving the money. The rest is up to the other individual. FEAR of what people do with our money can prevent us from doing a lot of good. Do the good deed and leave the result alone. Its called detachment.

I honor and respect your opinions. But I do see merit and value in doing this kind of thing for people in our community.
                (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

Rule 1: All money must go to skyline.. garage beer does not count... then build thread and pix must be posted with a breakdown of money spent
                  Rule 2: Skyline may not be in good running condition and solving the issue must be some serious money (coilpacks, toasted tranny, whatever) not a loose vacuum hose. Money must be spent towards getting it running, not buying 2000 dollar turbos.
                  Rule 3: Owner may not have any other vehicles in their name... cos they could just sell that and get the skyline running :P
                  Rule 4: Minimum post count.. make sure they're an active member in the community.
                  Rule 5: No bans in the past 6 months
                  Rule 6: Must express extreme circumstances as to why you deserve the funds
                  Last edited by supguyex; 07-22-2011, 11:15 PM.
                  widebody rb25 r32
                  Built by Fraser Valley Imports not Bought
                  We aren't just Importers, We are Owners
                  friends of:
                  genetic tuning!!!

Originally posted by Muss
                  Now why would two best friends fight? I'd say they'd just make a cookie pie, tell each other bed time stories and have a sleepover.

Comment

we don't have 6000 members that post on a regular basis...

this will never work.

those people with unfortunate circumstances will just have to:

1. sell car and adjust life
                    2. make more money

not being a pessimist, but a REALIST.

Comment

more realistic to throw the cash into a GTRC lottery and lucky recipients can select upgrades for their cars from one of the vendors .

Comment

Add an extra 87 cents on to that dollar and you have an extra large double double. Sorry, I'm being greedy and getting a coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by cortexx View Post
                          more realistic to throw the cash into a GTRC lottery and lucky recipients can select upgrades for their cars from one of the vendors .
                          The idea is similar, except that I would rather not have that as a random CHANCE event. My goal is to have a focused effort. That's all.
                          (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

I like the idea, because I'm new in my career paying off student loans/buying my first house and gettin married next august. I have been wanting a skyline since highschool, just other life events arise and I have to spend my money elsewhere.

But I do agree with other members about it being an idea and nothing else, it would cause more headaches and arguments then help with the community.

I'm just gonna have to just keep saving and hopefully one day find my GTR!

Good idea tho, I would pay a dollar a month if it ever started!
                            Come on lotto!!! Daddy needs a whole lotta stuff!

Comment

Alright, it seems there is no consensus here. Then I will do this on my own and invite everyone to participate if they want to. Those friends who say this wont work, I will make it work .

I have no idea HOW it will work and Im not concerned with it either. I just know it is a good cause with a noble intent and the HOW part is something that will manifest itself out of thin air.

If there are some who would like to work with me on this, please let me know. PM or on here. Let us make this thing happen.....
                              (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X