Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$1 a month pledge per person to help 12 enthusiasts on GTRC buy parts or Skylines

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the record, I give to the food bank one or two times a year. Ive also donated a couple of my old winter beaters (2x '87 ford excort gt's) to the kidney foundation. I really dont see a benefit of giving somebody cash when you know that theres a very good chance that they will spend it on things to effect their life negatively...thats why I give to the food bank. I dont see a point of giving money to people overseas when we have people in Canada in dire need of the basics to sustain life.

I do like the lottery idea better, but how can we insure its fair? If a guy has a dollar to his name, then he has a chance to win $2k. Good start for the car fund, or a turbo
    Regards,
    Ken.

Bayside Blue '89 HCR32 RB22 "MORE POWA"
    http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/49160-kens-1989-babyzilla.html
    Blue '14 Mazda CX-5 - GF's Grocery Getter
    White '10 Mazda 3 - Daily Driver

Comment

If it was set up that the money was banked and only payed out directly to the vendors for parts and/or service it would be best.

I also think it would be a bonus if the winner upgraded any good working parts on their car, the old part should be given* to a member in the parts needed thread.

* Recipient of the good will part would be responsible for shipping costs!
      Originally posted by Snow
      Sure a condom holds water but you don't see me drinking from one.

Comment

For once I agree with M13 and think this will not fly.

The car hobby is an expensive one, and I hate to say this but you need to pay to play.

If you are so hard up that you need handouts to buy/fix/mod your ride, you need to re-align your priorities and get yourself in a better financial position first.

I've always believed in sacrificing now for a better later.

Cars will always be around, get your act together first.

To the OP, I do admire your sense of charity, but it would be better served applied to people who really need the money (there's a famine in Somalia right now), as opposed to giving it to guys to throw into a depreciating, expensive, self-indulgent plaything.

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

maybe the cash could be used to sponsor one of the many kids in foregn countries that are starving to death ? I have done it before , its around $35 a month .

The cash pays for things like medical vaccinations , food , clothes and most importantly - schooling.

With the size of this community we should be able to sponsor an entire village , seriously ! Sometimes when i drop large amounts of cash on things like my car I feel somewhat guilty knowing whats going on abroad

Check this out :-

http://www.worldvision.ca/Pages/welcome.aspx

spend 10-15 minutes looking through that and then come back and discuss what to spend the cash on !
          Last edited by cortexx; 07-23-2011, 11:03 AM.

Comment

....another reason this is a bad idea

not too sure how most young people are able to afford to go down the skyline road,,, hell my first car was 82 toyota corolla,

car's are expensive, JDM's even more, I am 40+ now, good job, good coin, and now I am able to afford to get my dream car.

...giving someone a momentary moment of wealth to put towards a vehicle that'll probably demand expensive ongoing maintenance/upgrades is a BAD idea.
            It will only pollute the pool of JDM's with poorly maintained vehicles (POS) with a couple of really nice parts that were supplied by the GTRC lottery...

if you can't afford a skyline, get yourself a 82 corolla...

Comment

I vote we buy Rabbit a new skyline gtr.
              I've been brushing my teeth with jack but it's resulted in terrible amounts of tooth decay.

Comment

got to say i agree with jz, if you cant afford to play you need to re-align your life priorities. the only way this would be fair and not cause arguments throughout the community is to do it lottery style. if you do it with conditions whats the motivation for the rest of the people that dont meet the criteria to even care? i work too hard for every doller i earn to give it away to someone who works at maccas for 8 bucks an hour and dreams of buying a skyline. bottom line if you cant afford it on your current income, find another hobby.

Comment

My first car didnt even have 4 wheels lol, it had 3

Comment

All great points. Good to know John finally agreeing with M13 on something, hehehe.......

Thanks, guys. The idea is good and yes, unless the criteria for selecting the winning member are robust enough and unbiased, while making sure that they do not create any resentments in others, this wont fly. For this reason, I believe that a lottery-styled operation is the way to go, but with a few conditions. I am working on that and will put them up here for feedback.

In the mean time, if lottery-styled thing were to happen, would you all be interested in pitching in a dollar a month? Just to see how it goes?
                    (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

Cheap, Reliable, Fast.....PICK TWO
                    SERENITY NOW!!!!!!
                    HEAVY METAL IS THE LAW........EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST CRIME

Comment

I do applaud your idea and motivation, however I cannot see how this would possibly ever work. Even if you could get 6,000 people to donate $1 a month, it would take 500 years for everyone to actually get something back. And no one is going to throw away nearly $6,000 over the next 500 years for that.

I'm not trying to be rude or condescending in any way whatsoever, and I do not know much about your situation, but I'd suggest putting this amount of effort and thinking into finding employment or ways of creating your own business, it would far better serve you in the long run rather than trying to drum up support for your current situation. We must all take responsibility for ourselves first before turning to others for help.

If you want to run a lottery-style pool of money, please do it off of GTRC, as we are not going to be involved with this type of thing.
                      It will no doubt end in bickering and negativity, so please do not further this discussion here.

If anyone is interested in doing real charity work such as donating to worthy causes to benefit humanity, I am all for that.
                      Sign up for GTRC Premium Membership and get 2 of the new GT-R Canada stickers!
                      http://forums.gtrcanada.com/general-skyline-discussion/45662-gtrc-premium-membership.html#post437410

Comment

Sounds like that Skyline auction in the States a while back that no one in the public ever won!
                        aww crap, did you see that!

Comment

Thanks for your comments.

The idea was only as a result of me realizing how hard it is to get a Skyline and parts for it. It has nothing at all to do with me wanting this money. In fact, I did mention earlier that if this flies, I wont even be part of it. I dont want money for myself at all. I just wanted to help others. I hope you change that perception about me. I want NONE of it for myself. My motivation is simply born out of the realization as to how hard it is.

And thanks for suggesting what I should do about my life and situation, whose only relevance to this idea was to serve as an eye-opener.

Anyway, since there is little support for it from the GTRC admin, I respectfully request you to kindly close this thread.

All the same, I still appreciate the feedback and comments....

End of discussion.
                          (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

Cheap, Reliable, Fast.....PICK TWO
                          SERENITY NOW!!!!!!
                          HEAVY METAL IS THE LAW........EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST CRIME

Comment

Originally posted by cortexx View Post
                            My first car didnt even have 4 wheels lol, it had 3
                            No way...don't tell me you had a Reliant
                            1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Working...
                            X