Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$32 an hour for working in a car factory ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $32 an hour for working in a car factory ?

check this out , 1500 losing their jobs in Oshawa because the CAW union will not budge on their pay at $32 for line workers MEANWHILE in Tenessee the UAW has just allowed them to work for $14 an hour to get the work .

Absolutely nuts - who here gets $32 an hour for unskilled work ?

I'm in the wrong business...
    Originally posted by kengeroo
    that's what I thought when I opened the package..
    ...don't drink and ebay
    '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

I better call them up and tell them I'll make them a deal and work for 30$ an hour and I don't call in sick and I'll work damn hard too!
      Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

*rubs temples*

Meanwhile in NB: M.App.Sc, B.Mech Eng and no job/life.
        1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

move to Ontario , plenty of work here

I guess what really bugs me about GM moving their plant work back to the US is that they just got a huge bailout from the ontario government to help keep these people in their jobs , a few years down the road they can them anyway .

I think GM should have been left to go bankrupt in the first place - there are over 100,000 ex employees that have retired on a pension and the company cannot sustain that kind of expenditure.

The government would have been better off spending that cash on retraining for other trades instead of handing it to gm for large bonus payouts at the top .

Comment

About 2000 people will be laid off....but guess what, this was announced in 2005! They were supposed to have closed the plant by 2008. Canada is a shareholder in GM, and that sucks. Why is our country investing money in GM, and bailing them out in bankruptcy when they know it will close anyway? They should have let GM die.

This is shocking:
            Mr. Buckley of the CAW said workers should not be losing their jobs after the concessions they made during the 2008-2009 auto crisis, which helped keep the Canadian unit out of creditor protection and win approval for federal and Ontario taxpayer contributions of more than $10-billion to the bailout of General Motors Co.
            $10 billion dollars and they knew that plant was doomed to begin with?!?!
            Wow, now this is a major conflict of interest, the Canadian Government pouring billions of taxpayer funds into a public company in which the Canadian Government has shares of, and they know it is scheduled to close and lay off thousands of people.
            Ridiculous.

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle2449283/
            Last edited by Daryl @ RightDrive; 06-02-2012, 12:19 PM.
            RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
            http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
            1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

It's hard to imagine how much money 10 billion dollars is , I think (although i could be wrong so please don't quote me) there are around 40000 GM employees in Canada .

1 billion is 1 million million , divide that by 40000 gm employees and it about 25 million per employee ... WTH!

please someone tell me that our Government didnt sacrifice 10 Billion for that .....

Comment

Unfortunately the government will NEVER learn! They take our tax dollars and spend it on rediculous things. If they spent it properly I could see us having a better environment to live in. Our roads in Ontario are crap along with alot of other things. Wish they would spend 10 billion on other things than a falling business that will die sooner rather than later.
                Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

Used to be 40000 employees in the early 90's, after these lay off the article says there will be about 8000. I like the last comment in the article made by caw "If the Canadian union agreed to such cuts, it would soon be asked to match the $6 an hour Mexican workers are being paid, Mr. Buckley argued Friday." *Facepalm*
                  I love Skylines! My jackstands never get stolen...

Comment

You math is a little off. 10 billion divided by 40000 would be 25k. 10 billion is actually 10 million thousand not million million. Still lots of dough.

Originally posted by cortexx View Post
                    It's hard to imagine how much money 10 billion dollars is , I think (although i could be wrong so please don't quote me) there are around 40000 GM employees in Canada .

1 billion is 1 million million , divide that by 40000 gm employees and it about 25 million per employee ... WTH!

please someone tell me that our Government didnt sacrifice 10 Billion for that .....

Comment

sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

Now the debate of short and long scale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales
                        Last edited by bizzle; 06-02-2012, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Oh god... Debates

Originally posted by kengeroo
                          that's what I thought when I opened the package..
                          ...don't drink and ebay
                          '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

depends which scale you chose , I guess i chose longscale because i'm british and thats what we were taught , using short scale it different .

Comment

doh i swear frankies post and the 2 after it were not there a sec ago lol ...

must type faster

Comment

Working...
                              X