Which truck would you buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which truck would you buy?

So I've been doing some truck shopping. I'm looking to use it to tow my Skyline to different tracks, most being 14-21 hours away hopefully 3 or 4 times/year. The rest of the time will be goin back and forth to work and the usual driving around.
    Right now the Ford F-150 XLT with EcoBoost looks like the best value and the motor rocks.
    I'd love some input from any experienced truck owners on here.
    Thanks!

I bought a f150 in 03, had it for 9 yrs, really gave me no trouble at all, had to replace the ac pump once, that was it, I miss it, I " upgraded " to a f350 , the desil is nice but it's a pig on fuel. I'd go with the ecoboost for sure.

Comment

Duramax all the way. Smoothest riding 2500 you can buy and they have no troubles.
      95 R33 Gtr

RICE - Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement

Comment

Depends...do you want gas or diesel for a truck?
        gtr garage queen...anybody seen my wallet?

Comment

I would really like a diesel and I agree the Duramax would be awesome but as I had said the truck will primarily be used as a commuter and only towing a few times a year. I think a 2500 series would be overkill plus the additional cost is substantial. I'll only be towing about 6500lbs and the F-150 is capable of up to 11,200.

Comment

Dont get the eco boost. you will regret it. My dad is always working on those trucks as something is wrong. My father in law who tows trailers daily had a ram 1500 and now has a f150. He said the ram had more get up and go but both trucks pulled the trailer well
            Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
            http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

I am aware they had an ecu problem (fuelling related) in the first generation. Do you have any insight as to what the problems were?
              The problem with buying a truck seems to be no matter who you ask there is always something wrong with every truck.
              Dodge front ends, Ecoboost is horrible on fuel, Toyota is too expensive, GM is out dated ect ect ect.
              I do prefer the looks of the Ram but haven't driven one in awhile but plan to in the next couple of days.
              If Subaru made a truck I'd be done by now

Comment

F150. I've heard tons of good things about the mid 2000's. the ecoboost I would shy away from.
                “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

I have a Tundra CrewMax Limited. Its an awesome truck. Zero issues with it. Definatly the fastest truck on the market. Tows like a boss. It does like to drink a little fuel but if your buying a brand new truck your not gunna lose 20 grand as soon as you drive over the curb from the dealership. They hold their value the best and in my opinion the best half ton truck to buy.
                  gtr garage queen...anybody seen my wallet?

Comment

I've heard the Tundra doesn't offer very good value for the money. The Nissan is almost $10g more for roughly the same kit.
                    I'm going to look at the Toyota tomorrow or Saturday.
                    Dodge can't touch Ford for value.
                    Truck shopping sucks!

Comment

Are you looking for brand new of the dealer floor or are you willing to look at used with low mileage.
                      Do you need 4 doors, what budget, have you considered a SUV ?

I say if you want trucks that's:
                      Fun, get a Dodge cummins 6spd std. (with a couple mods they can rip like you wouldn't believe)
                      comfy (newer Ford, the inside is really nice, but can depend on the model. Some model feel really cheap)
                      Fuel economy (buy yourself a cheap truck just to tow car car when needed, sell when done, repeat next season)

Best advise: don't waste to much time look in NB (you might find a deal here and there but generally overprice), You have better price in NS, and if you look out of province (check Quebec or Maine).
                      14 VW Jetta TDI
                      05 Sentra SpecV - winter beater -
                      95 240sx (RB25DET powered)
                      95 240sx ( powered)
                      89 GTR - Money Pit -

Comment

This is obviously my opinion but is based of first hand facts and second hand (close buddies/family) experience, Alberta is a truck province.

I've owned a Tacoma sport: gutless, small but ok on gas. Weak towing capacity.

I drove a GM 1500 and 2500 for about 6 years. Ok power but garbage If you get stuck as it bogs down to save the truck maybe? Ok towing, horribad mileage around 21mpg in town when not trying to drive like a granny.

Currently Have an Eco boost f-150 4 door. Horrible on gas if you drive it normally (20mpg+ and around 16 mpg if driving very gently (never boosting). Towing capacity is 11,000 (as per warranty, in writing) and when I tow I feel little of the weight. Never had issues but it is the newer ecoboost. Runs on regular 87 octane, doesn't need premium. Price tag unfortunately was $55k after taxes and rebates (loaded with towing package). You can't hear it run so its quieter than the others I've had.

I've had a few buddies with the tundras. It was one of the worst for mileage, good towing (10,000 i think?) but was consistently slower than the ecoboost of the same price but better mileage and much more techology (nav, ford touch, so on). One of the buddies went and got the TRD supercharger kit which dyno'd 530hp and was fast but cost $17k install (warranty approved). Still couldn't tow as smoothly as the stock ecoboost for some reason.

Titan is as bad or worse on gas than the tundra but I don't know how it tows or runs. The guy I knew with one had drivetrain problems a few times a year and ended up trading for an ecoboost after 2 years. Seems happy.

Most of my buddies own diesels. If you can afford $60-80k, go diesel. As good as the ecoboost on gas (12-16L/100) but 2x the torque. As for which make is better, tough call. The dodge cummins appears to be the best but the truck often has electrical gremlins as failing front end (more common with lift or leveling kits), ford power stroke is questionable as I've know 3 people blow up their engine with no mods (work truck) all under 50k km but the truck itself is solid, the GM/chev is good but te tranny is not happy with mods making more Power (2 family members broke their trannies and or flex plates). Pick your poison.

If you don't have $30k+ you won't find a new truck that will happily tow a 3,300 pound car and trailer, have great features and not burn gas like mad doing it. Maybe get a used Chevy 3/4 diesel. Or a used dodge 3/4 if you find a clean one.
                        No build thread.
                        1991 nissan
                        El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Thanks for your great input!
                          I've got a '13 F150 EcoBoost in the driveway for the weekend. XTR with tow package for $34k (~$11k off) after rebates. Seems ok on fuel, and its certainly the best value on the new truck market.
                          My wife is getting nervous about buying a new vehicle so I may have bigger issues to deal with.
                          Last edited by bobbo; 08-24-2013, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Nothing a night out and some wine won't fix.

BTW, buy a two-car length trailer so that I can hitch a ride to the track, will ya? :P
                            1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

I'm DIE-HARD wouldn't trade my Chevy for the anything other than a '67-'71 C10... New trucks are nice but whats the old saying? "I'd rather push a Chevy than drive a Ford"
                              Dang! You got shocks, pegs... Lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Comment

Working...
                              X