Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need exhaust suggestions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need exhaust suggestions

    Yes, another exhaust thread. I'm considering trying to quiet down my exhaust, attract less attention.

    My current setup is full 3.5" with cat (prob gutted lol, haven't taken it off) and straight through auxiliary muffler (twin tip). I really love the sound, but it's somewhat a bit loud, as it's almost just a straight exhaust.

    I'm looking at my choices, and here's what I brought it down to:

    1) Add a resonator
    2) Add an Apexi ATS
    3) Change the whole cat-back

    Now my question is, will a resonator make that much of a difference? since resonators are usually also pretty much straight through. Which one should I go for? Magnaflow? I couldn't even find a 3.5" resonator on their website. Any other good universal resonator brand/types I should be looking for?

    And the ATS? does it really make that much of a difference? Some people say yes, some say no, so I really dont know. I don't really care about WOT noise level, it's more the cruising level I'm trying to bring down.

    Or should I go with a resonator + ATS type of combo, to bring it down even more.

    Just looking for insights, or people with past experience, as I know it can be a bitch trying out a bunch of different stuff, or different resonator types.

    Thanks!
    R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
    http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

  • #2
    Follow the stock configuration and placement of exhaust baffles i.e cat, square baffle box near rear wheels, big baffle at end of exhaust. Substitute the cat for a 3.5" coby with flanges on each end. A similar setup (3" exhaust) on RB20DET is roughly around 84DB.

    Flowmaster sell 3.5 mufflers, but not sure if it would fit under a GTR -



    From what I can remember, you can buy 3.5" Coby's. But can't remember where I saw them.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

    The most epic signature ever "epic".

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Skym View Post
      Follow the stock configuration and placement of exhaust baffles i.e cat, square baffle box near rear wheels, big baffle at end of exhaust. Substitute the cat for a 3.5" coby with flanges on each end. A similar setup (3" exhaust) on RB20DET is roughly around 84DB.

      Flowmaster sell 3.5 mufflers, but not sure if it would fit under a GTR -



      From what I can remember, you can buy 3.5" Coby's. But can't remember where I saw them.
      Flowmaster has a 3.5" resonator too, part number 15126.

      http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/accessories.html

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Skym View Post
        Follow the stock configuration and placement of exhaust baffles i.e cat, square baffle box near rear wheels, big baffle at end of exhaust. Substitute the cat for a 3.5" coby with flanges on each end. A similar setup (3" exhaust) on RB20DET is roughly around 84DB.
        The thing is with the current setup, I have to find something to replace the sound reduction of the square baffle box (I'm guessing you meant the small one between the cat and the end muffler). I doubt that box would fit now, so that's why I was thinking resonator, but I'm not so sure it will be enough.

        As for the cat, I'd prefer to keep that one on. Even though the likelyhood of them finding out the cat is gone is next to none, I'd prefer to stay within the limits of the law.

        What do you mean 3.5" Coby? I'm thinking you mean the brand? Like resonator or muffler?

        The flowmaster 3.5" 15126 looks pretty decent, I'd just have to check for clearance though. I think my current ground clearance is about 4-5" on my exhaust (around where the resonator would be), I just don't want to go add too much "thickness" with the resonator and have it hitting the ground.
        R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
        http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

        Comment


        • #5
          I have the HKS Silent Hi Power, it is pretty quiet at idle. Many exhausts in Japan come with silencers as well (basically plugs with a hole that fit into the tip of the muffler to reduce sound). Silencers can be taken out to open up the exhaust for track days etc. It takes about 3 minutes to take out a silencer, very easy.
          RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
          http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
          1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220



          Comment


          • #6
            DarkCaporaL, Coby is the brand name of cannon like muffler that welds into or bolts into exhaust.

            Coby is not much bigger than exhaust diameter, so provides heaps of clearance but muffles exhaust at the same time. The more Coby's you add, the quieter the exhaust gets.

            As far as I know Flowmaster is commonly used on V8's that are loud, so should work with a Import exhaust. It was suggested to me to fit one on my car.
            RESPONSE MONSTER

            The most epic signature ever "epic".

            Comment


            • #7
              On my 3.5" (90mm) exhaust I have 2 resinators and a baffle (silencer) in my tail pipe and it's quite livable (not so much with the baffle out). It`s a Trust system. I substituted a CAT for the front resinator for the VI and it made it even quieter. Power was noticably off though, (cheap ass Vibrant CAT) with a quality CAT like a MetalCat (best) or MagnaFlow (only marginaly better than Vibrant) it shouldn`t be as bad. Nobody makes a cheap CAT in 90mm so I took mine to a muffler shop and they blew up the ends from 3inch to 3.5inch with their bender for free.

              If you really care about the law and the enviroment (I don`t, but some do) then a 90mm (3.5inch) MetalCat will last as long as an OEM CAT and flow twice as much. The MetalCats aren`t cheap, but are worth it if you want the best of both worlds.


              Jon.
              Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

              1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

              Comment


              • #8
                If you could find a used Mines VX Silencer cat back system I think it would solve your problem. I'm currently running with this exhaust system and I would say its sleeper in front of the cops :-).

                Good luck

                Comment


                • #9
                  screw the quite man...3.5 inch DP to 4 inch exhaust...test pipe no resonator...sounds like a rocket ship...after a long cruse your ears ring....my house trembles when it idles...

                  hands down all about the sound
                  Fraser Valley Imports.ca
                  (The Detailer)
                  We aren't just Importers, we are Owners

                  Bike Project: Susie - 05 Suzuki GSXR 600
                  Car Project: In The Making

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DeviantRebel442 View Post
                    screw the quite man...3.5 inch DP to 4 inch exhaust...test pipe no resonator...sounds like a rocket ship...after a long cruse your ears ring....my house trembles when it idles...

                    hands down all about the sound
                    My car also makes everything tremble lol. Dont get me wrong, like I said in my first post, I love the sound, but it attracts way too much attention. I already got stopped once last year for it. And I dont want to prive myself from driving it.

                    Can't find those damn Coby's anywhere!
                    R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
                    http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I think Coby are a NZ company that makes the Coby resonators -



                      It looks like they can make exhaust mufflers to your requirements.

                      A Coby resonator looks like this round cylinder looking muffler -



                      Coby resonator -



                      or



                      Coby resonators supposedly don't restrict flow too much, but provide extra sound deadening on a straight through exhaust design without mufflers.
                      RESPONSE MONSTER

                      The most epic signature ever "epic".

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks for the replies guys, I'll keep you updated on what I decide to do.
                        R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
                        http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I've got a veilside exhaust on mine, not too loud at all, but with a 4 inch outlet it still attracts unwanted attention.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've installed a Fujitsubo Super Legalis R last summer and its pretty good (compare to my old 4" straight, no resonator exhaust!). I went through the same process as you last year. I see you are in Gatineau and so am I. If you want to hear it in real, let me know.
                            1990 Veilside Edition Skyline GT-R

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ladou View Post
                              I've installed a Fujitsubo Super Legalis R last summer and its pretty good (compare to my old 4" straight, no resonator exhaust!). I went through the same process as you last year. I see you are in Gatineau and so am I. If you want to hear it in real, let me know.
                              That would be awesome. I didn't know anyone in Gatineau was on these boards, never seen anyone before :P. I'll send you a PM.
                              R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
                              http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X