question bout engine oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question bout engine oil

doing my first oil change since I bought my GTR. asked the previous owner what he put, he said 15W50 motul. I was thinkin it was too thick, but i also cant find 15w50 anywhere, and i thought the 300zx tt oil filter would fit, but its too big, also fitted with oil cooler and relocated, I could go to the owner but he charges $45 for 2 litres and the car needs 5.5L. any suggestions?

not sure about a gtr but a gts the oil filter i use is from a s13 240sx and 45$ FOR 2 LITRES holy **** overpriced much?
    Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

what relocation kit do you have? my grex kit i used a s13 filter (91 nissan 240sx.) also i run 10w40 royal purple in my r32! 15w50 is kinda thick but if you wana run it im sure some of the sponsers on here could help you out. throw braden at jns imports a pm.
      1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

i use 300zx tt on my gts. no issues. odd.
        - Adam

:
        http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/44846-project-nashzilla-r32-gt-t-neo.html

Comment

im pretty sure its a trust relocation kit, does bradon @jns imports have hook ups in vancouver? cuase hes in alberta

Comment

I have the Trust/Grex relocation kit and use 95-97 240sx filter, fits like a charm.
            (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ 1990 BNR32

Comment

thanks man ill try it out, what type of oil do you use?

Comment

15w50 motul is what i run on my dirtbike...
                If you're not first you're last

Comment

Nismo competition oil for RB26DETT is 15w50....

and I believe its made by MOTUL as well

http://www.nismo.co.jp/products/comp...eup/15w50.html

Comment

Look at oil temp gauge and cst rating of oil to choose correct oil. Look at Opie Oil (oil experts) 10w60 PDF, as they explain how to choose the correct oil based on looking at oiltemp for your engine, cst rating -

The UK's largest independent supplier of automotive oils, fluid and parts. We've products to suit any vehicle, from full blown Race / Track weapons, to Daily Drivers looking to save money. Plus FREE expert advice & recommendations - OPIE KNOW OILS

Most can get away with 10W40, as is good for 100-120 degrees that most Skylines run at on the motorway (RB20DET in my car ran 5w30 at factory and they mention cst rating for 30 at 100 degrees in above link). w50 is racetrack use where your oiltemps are constantly at 100-120. Just intake, exhaust on RB20DET without engine oilcooler sits around 93 degrees after a drive on the street. Also I think that's degrees celcius (UK, Canada, etc), not degrees fahrenheit (US, etc)

The first number is cold start and 5-10 is what most Skylines run.

I ran 10W60 that was recommended and found out it was the cause of rough running engine (engine fighting to idle because oil was too thick), noisy lifters, less responsive engine, etc. Switched to 10W40 and solved those problems and starts better when cold. Wouldn't think oil makes that much difference, but it does.
                    Last edited by Skym; 04-14-2011, 01:52 AM.
                    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Originally posted by gtrte37 View Post
                      im pretty sure its a trust relocation kit, does bradon @jns imports have hook ups in vancouver? cuase hes in alberta
                      Trust/Greddy uses Toyota AE86 filter and it is the same thread as Nissan, the OD is smaller but the seat (seal) diameter may be small enough to work as Micho have suggested. 92 Camry filter will work too if you can't find AE86 filter.

Comment

Originally posted by Nismo_line View Post
                        not sure about a gtr but a gts the oil filter i use is from a s13 240sx and 45$ FOR 2 LITRES holy **** overpriced much?
                        clearly, you've never bought Motul 300V before..

Comment

Love the Motul 300V I picked some up from Cam at lightspeed , i did alot of research on the 300v and its amazing ! the tests that they put the oil through are second to none. If it will handle the 24hours of lemans with 0 viscosity breakdown it will handle the daily driving of my gtr with ease

it is costly though, I am running 10w40
                          "LAG is the time the guy beside you thought he won"

Comment

There is no way you'll need to run 15w50 for street use. The manual says 7.5w30 so you can use obviously 5 or 10w30 for street use.
                            Under extreme conditions some use 10w50 which will give you additional oil pressure.
                            For very extensive information on this check out...

Comment

10w30 Mobil1 is what i use for daily driving...more than sufficient.
                              Originally posted by Paradis
                              ^^ hows not being rich going? ...haters be hatin

Comment

Working...
                              X