Rb26 Transmission rebuild kit???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gtrjerry73 View Post
    Wow good find. Is this a job that a mechanically inclined person (but not a mechanic) could tackle? Or is it pretty complicated?
    If you haven't done one before it would be best for somebody experienced to watch over your shoulder while doing it. That said its not rocket surgery either.

Comment

Originally posted by gtrjerry73 View Post
      Wow good find. Is this a job that a mechanically inclined person (but not a mechanic) could tackle? Or is it pretty complicated?
      If you can build and engine you can rebuild this, i'd say its on the same level of difficulty.
      “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Originally posted by caliber676 View Post
        unfortunately the tranny wont be running until the engine is back in the car, but i cant see a problem with it, it works fine on the bench.

As for some advice, getting the mainshaft and countershaft out of the centerplate is probably the hardest part as you have to alternate between the two when pressing them out doing 1cm or so at a time so the gears don't mesh with eachother. Support the plate as much as you can with wood (keep in mind its aluminum) so you don't bend it while in the press. A few of the gears/bearings for the reverse and 5th are a pain to get off with claw-type pullers as there is little room for the claws to grip, so you'll need a variety of claws to get the job done. Other than that its pretty straight forward, make sure you take your time taking it apart and how the synchros go cuz they can be a bit confusing. Oh and make sure you dont lose the check ball on the mainshaft when pressing it out of the housing, have a magnet ready, its a small little bugger.
        Hey, is this what you are talking about? (...^ "gears mesh with each other"... did you mean that they mesh INTO each other, and spreading them apart!?)

I know personally one guy who did exactly the same, this is the picture from the thread of one guy from here! (I don't think hes participating in this thread)
        Here is his build thread

Anywhay, this thing makes me pretty scary, lucky i have one in the car and one extra tranny that should be good as well!)))

So why R33 trannys are better (Synchrowise)??? They used diff material synchros? or different design? AND what if i want to just replace synchros, will the R33s fit in my R32 tranny?
        Last edited by tryingtobebest; 05-28-2011, 03:44 PM.
        TTBB is a true ACN member

Comment

That looks like he broke the bearing shoulder out of the housing. What I mean by the gears meshing is kinda hard to explain. If you look on the service manual and see the procedure for pressing the main and countershafts out you will have a better understanding. They are done together at the same time (pressing one a cm or 2 down, then pressing the other shaft and back and forth) rather than pressing one shaft out entirely and then the other. The reason for this is the gears of the counter and main can only move a few cm before they would touch the next speed gear or synchro set.

i would say look at the service manual and see what your getting yourself into. Its a rather tedious job without the specialty tools, you will need a number of different sized hollow and solid bearing drivers as well as pullers and claws. You will also need a full sized press and a friend to help. Its definitely a more difficult tranny, but you know best if you are able to rebuild it and the service manual will direct you more thoroughly than I can
          “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

BTW which service manual are you using? The only one i found and using is the R33 GTR Service Manual (RB20 and RB25 and RB26 engines, drivetrain), but there is nothing about the tranny! Can you throw me a link if possibly or an idea where to look for!?
            TTBB is a true ACN member

Comment

Send me your email and I will email you the PDF.

Comment

Updates?

Jon.
                Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

The 300zx twin turbo kit will work, parts are exactly the same except for 1 extra roller bearing. My tranny is back together and working fine. Heres a picture of all it back together with the new parts.

I have the housing and everything back on but it looks the same as any gtr transmission so no need to take a picture.

Comment

Has anyone else tried this with success? I'm thinking of possibly attempting the same thing.

Comment

caliber676 tks for the info! I believe this is super helpful to everyone!

Any info where we can obtain it for $300? is that US or CAD dollars?

I need to rebuild my RB25DET trans that has a notchy 2nd and 5th.. basically i took the trans apart and gears look pretty decent however its either syncros that are bad (bearings were making noise) so if I throw it back together its bound to be even worse! But my forks may be damaged as well 1-2 and 5-reverse.. forks I can obtain ata decent price at Nissan dealer for Z32 apprx $50 each, however gears are $200 each which quite pricy..

This is of course riding the card that Z32 TT internals are identical to RB25/26 and that parts will swap right over.. nobody has confirmed this in stone yet anywhere I have looked..

I'm most likely not going to replace gears 2 and 5 as they look ok but definitely syncros and shift forks.. i looked up the part number you offered online and it appears autozone in USA (local autostore chain) carries it but its 560usd!!

Any advice gents? I'm ready to put the motor together but without these parts I cant start.. motor is going back to my s13 but once the trans is on its not coming out unless we yank the motor out again.. spun a rod bearing last year and a year later finally getting her back up and running, sadly this rebuild had cost an arm and a leg.. all because of a newbie mistake of not checking oil level..

Tks everyone!!!!

Originally posted by caliber676 View Post
                      The 300zx twin turbo kit will work, parts are exactly the same except for 1 extra roller bearing. My tranny is back together and working fine. Heres a picture of all it back together with the new parts.

I have the housing and everything back on but it looks the same as any gtr transmission so no need to take a picture.

Comment

Hey man, I can't give you an answer on if the internals will fit the rb25 tranny. As for a kit, just find your local transmission shop and ask them to get you a rebuild kit for a z32 300zx Twin turbo. They will source it out and get it for you. I paid approx 340cad all in.

Comment

Hey Caliber676,

Just curious how well this worked out fro you. Are you driving the car now with the rebuilt synchros?

Comment

Not in the car yet, won't be for at least another 6-8 months. It bench tests fine, so I'm sure it'll work. The parts are exactly the same, the only cause for something not working is improper installation, although I trust my work.

Comment

Anyone else have done it ??

I'm on my second rebuilt.. and I would like to be last f*ckin time. Anyone have recommandation for a stronger than oem gearbox except those 10 000$ box.. just maybe stronger parts like N1 internal.
                              Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

Os giken 1-3 is less than $10k. If you're killing stock boxes so easily, maybe fix the cheapest problem first, your driving techniques lol, power shift much?
                                Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
                                Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
                                Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
                                Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
                                Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
                                White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
                                lol

Comment

Working...
                                X