No announcement yet.

RB26 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the hks only bypasses the oil cooler until 86 degrees i wanted to hit 100 degrees thats where oil temps should be for 10w40.

everything i purchased was from summit racing, accusump, epc valve, cm billet filter, oil thermostat, lines and fittings probably over 1k, more after shipping, taxes & exchange rate etc...

Comment

• update from last weekend, ive been away at a camp on lake of the woods with no cell service or internet, I've been cut off from the world every week which is somewhat nice to be honest... anyways last week we concentrated on installing the vibrant boost couplers and hardpiping which we mostly got done. Ended up being short 1 or 2 T-bolt style clamps so we are going to napa to pick up a couple more today. Started messing around with drawing holes on the ornamental coil pack cover trying to see what would look nice... nothing to show yet but i'll snap some photos later today to give you an idea of what we are looking at doing. Still gotta dig out the drill press from storage and get it hooked up in the shop so we can test drill some holes...

Comment

• update pics

Parts arrival... yay

ceramic coated everything... so puuuurdy

rear turbo with new CHRA coated hot side

front turbo taken apart and cleaned and coated hot side

welded and coated tomei manifolds

dump pipe... suffered a little ding on it either from shipping or whatever

other dump pipe

All in all it was a good experience and price from cherry turbos, it took a little longer then expected but i gave him a lot to do... only thing missed was removing a bolt that broke on me out of the dump pipe... the brace from the engine to the dump pipe bolt broke on me and i couldnt get it out for the life of me... so now i may have to send that one part back to him not to sure...

Last edited by curtisgoodman; 05-29-2015, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• Look too cool man! Congrats!

Comment

• So I got a little done on my one day off this weekend, did lots of fluid changes, front diff, rear diff with royal purple, transmission with redline heavy shock oil, t-case with mobil 1 synthetic ATF, was about to bleed the brake system clean with motul RBF 600 then got to having some beers in the sun so next weekend I'll have that all done. Repacked up my turbo dump pipe with the broken bolt and will be sending it back to cherry turbos he said he'll sort it out for free cause he missed it which was nice of him... besides that just gotta change the engine oil with redline 10w40 and bleed brake system out... then when the turbo pipe comes back its go time. Also I'll be sending out my twin turbo pipe to be divided and I'm working on a layout for my coil cover to be water cut hopefully get around to sending those pieces out.

Stay tuned,

Curt

Comment

• I had the same stubborn sheared bolt issue on one of mine as well. I drilled right through it then used a bolt extractor and it came out with some controlled persuasion. Not sure if you have already gone down this route... http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...ws/reviews.htm

Comment

• we tried heat and screw extractors two different kinds and couldn't get it out

Comment

• Finally got the brakes bled yesterday after work with motul rbf600, the rears looked clean when done but wow the fronts were dirty took quite a bit of fluid get get all the black out... then finished it off with the rear and front abs nipples and done... cant wait to see the difference in braking power now... the brakes felt pretty weak last time i had it out. The tomei turbo dump pipe got sent to cherry turbos so he could fix the broken bolt he missed, he already had that done on wednesday and it was sent to get re-ceramic coated all on his dime. When those turbos show up its go time get them in there and go for a rip WOOT!

Comment

• Did a quick oil change on the weekend on the car now it has nice new 10w40 red line synthetic in it yay... didn't get much else done but spent some time planning a pattern on my coil pack cover to be cut out with a water jet system... so yea you'll have to wait to see the finished product on that

Comment

• I have a 88' Buick LeSabre T-Type, it's a 2 door with the 3.8L in it, been working on it occasionally for the past 3 years, has electrical gremlins and is a headache to even think about it... after I got my buddy over to open the door with his break-in kit (locked keys in last year when parked doh) I proceed to remove the sony deck in it (car has 4 channel xplode amp and xplode speakers). My sony deck is an oldy been on there since i bought the car in 2007 its a 2002 model no mp3 the one in the buick is a 2004 model with mp3 capabilities so i figured the plug would be the same... and it was! Just plugged it in and boom fired up... so now i can enjoy burning mp3 cds and have more music on hand yay!!

On another ICE note i have a MRV-1000 alpine amp and 2 10" type-r alpine subs sitting in an old speaker box that will no longer fit under my rear strut tower bar... gonna make a plan for some fibreglass box that clips in underneath the tower bar so i can remount my bass. It'll be a fun project once the turbos are back in and the car is running, cant wait for that day lol.

Comment

• the dump pipe showed up yesterday afternoon i wasnt sure if it was gonna make it so i ended up taking a job helping a friend by replacing his master cylinder and bleeding his brakes today... its an 87 dodge dakota POS so i hope nothing else brakes so i can get it done and get onto the skyline...

Comment

• Only got one thing done on the gtr yesterday before tons of company showed up to hangout... we drilled and tapped the front turbo oil return pipe and installed a 1/2" barbed to pipe thread fitting and sealed it with RTV Black, this will be the return line for the catch can... we couldnt remove the pipe off the block cause the engine mount bracket was in the way so we cleaned the pipe really good to get the oil outta it and taped the shop vac to the end and slowly drilled it out with suction to keep the metal outta my oil pan... kinda stressful doing that... but we took our time and i feel good about it.

After this coffee I'm having I'll be grinding the rust off the crash bar and priming it, then reinstalling the exhaust side on the gtr... cant wait to fire it up and hear it running again... we have done lots of oil lines and such, fingers crossed we have no leaks. I'll snap some photos as we go for your viewing pleasure

Comment

• got the rear manifold, turbo and dump pipe installed last weekend and this weekend the front will be done and then everything else above put back together... then fire her up and look for leaks... then test drive

Comment

• got the turbos done, everything torqued down... just have to install the top turbo piping then I can fire her up and check for leaks and whatnot... tomorrow morning it'll be running for sure...

Comment

• couple pics

Turbos in on Saturday

Car running Sunday afternoon

On first start up, before assembling the front end and putting her down on all 4 wheels, we checked for oil leaks and we had one of the old stainless steel braided lines going from the thermostat to the oil cooler leak. I luckily purchased extra braided hose from summit on my fittings and hose order so we whipped up a new one and installed it, topped up the coolant and added red line water wetter, bled the coolant from the bolt on the drivers side front of the motor, then dropped her down torqued the wheel nuts and proceed for the test drive.

Test drive was good but did have a couple problems but nothing huge... the first pull with boost I hit 2 bar when my controller was set to 1.4 bar which scared the sh1t outta me i also lost traction and hit the rev limiter which never happens in third normally, then after the spike I was missing on a cylinder which also again worried me... it ended up that when I ripped apart the coil pack wiring to inspect the plugs and coil harness started falling apart which i somehow didnt notice... pieces of the yellow plastic separator inside the harness plug where breaking and falling apart on multiple cylinders so i have it rigged up to not short out or arc but a new one will be ordered today. Besides that the accusump works great i get 2.5 bar oil pressure before start up and i'm normally sitting around 4 bar oil pressure now with the new oil pressure sensor i installed. the fuel gauge also reads to full now after i moved some wires blocking the float rod.

The one new issue i'm having it the passenger side headlight doesn't come on anymore (low and high beam) but the side marker works, DS is fine... it worked before and I've never had a problem with my lights ever so what the heck... where is the headlight control module located? Any one have a similar problem that can shed some light on it?

Comment

Working...
                                X