No announcement yet.

Frankiman's street/track GTR project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow that's a really good surprise.The first dyno screen picture of the sr20 ae86 is my buddy's ,he uses it mostly for drift it's barely on the street ,but it is street legal and man can you say traction problems ?lol
    My car keeps on stealing my money .

Comment

wow nice numbers!
      did you ever get a surprise lol, i like how he just had to listen to the exhuast and he knew haha

Comment

Thats awesome. I love this build sooo much
        sigpic

Originally posted by m_melen
        ...it woulda been safer if his harness were made of jello

Comment

Originally posted by RHDskyline View Post
          Thats awesome. I love this build sooo much
          x2, I'm always looking forward to the next chapter in Frankimans story!
          Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

I like.

High pressure Nismo radiator cap is for thicker Nismo radiator only. Not a good idea to use on stock radiator, as it creates higher pressure than normal, which creates leaks in cooling system.
            RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Originally posted by Skym View Post
              I like.

High pressure Nismo radiator cap is for thicker Nismo radiator only. Not a good idea to use on stock radiator, as it creates higher pressure than normal, which creates leaks in cooling system.
              i'll be taking care of that next year :wink:
              sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

How long did they(turbos) spin for after you turned it off? Because my stock turbos ony gtr, (when they were good) kept spinning for about 15 seconds. After the engine was turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapier46 View Post
                  How long did they(turbos) spin for after you turned it off? Because my stock turbos ony gtr, (when they were good) kept spinning for about 15 seconds. After the engine was turned off.
                  oem turbos have roller ceramic bearings which stop spining almost as soon as the engine stop

ball bearings turbos keep spining for about 4 seconds (depending on turbos)

what you heard for 15 seconds must have a been a pressure relieve valve or something
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by frankiman View Post
                    oem turbos have roller ceramic bearings which stop spining almost as soon as the engine stop

ball bearings turbos keep spining for about 4 seconds (depending on turbos)

what you heard for 15 seconds must have a been a pressure relieve valve or something
                    No that's wrong.... Look at some vids man bb turbos spin for a while. Sometimes 30 seconds. It was 100% turbo wheels spinning. I'm not some backyard mechanic. Most of the time I know my **** haha

Comment

• I think stock R32GTR turbo's are 270 degree sleeve bearing.

Could be stock R34GTR turbo's which are ballbearing and capable of around 460hp at engine with basic breathing mods, etc on a R34GTR RB26.

If you do use car on racetrack, I would suggest you fit a air separation bottle (removes bubbles from cooling system) that comes with a higher pressure radiator cap -

Also add a N1 waterpump if engine hasn't got one, to reduce cavitation (creation of air bubbles) at higher rpm's.
                      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

• Originally posted by Rapier46 View Post
                        No that's wrong.... Look at some vids man bb turbos spin for a while. Sometimes 30 seconds. It was 100% turbo wheels spinning. I'm not some backyard mechanic. Most of the time I know my **** haha
                        thats why i said
                        Originally posted by frankiman View Post
                        (depending on turbos)
                        sigpic

Comment

• Oh. Haha sorry I didn't see that

Comment

• adjustable intake cam gear, effective?

check my dyno tune for reference

this is the situation,

for twins, i have alot of lag see chart;

full boost, which is ONLY ~13psi is at 4500rpm, pretty high

i'll be getting a new tune next year, with only a couple new mods, but most importantly it will be a much more aggressive tune

i have stock cams, and will keep stock cams

but ive heard that using adjustable cams gears, to advance or retard cam timing just a bit, can drastically change the caracteristics of the power curve (power delivery)

and tuning cam timing can also reduce spool-up time

but heres the thing, ive talked a bit about it to Robin Almasi who tuned my car in the first place, he said that adjusting cam timing while on the dyno is a PITA

for every adjustment, you have to let the engine cool a bit, to take the cam gear cover off (and CAS), make the adjustment, put everything back on and align th CAS correctly, which at 100$+ /hour on the dyno is not financially feasable

and from what he told me, hes done it on a couple R32s already, and the peak power increase is always negligeable

heres what i'm getting at;

a used adjustable cam gear is cheap (ish)
                            and if i were to get on the dyno with a similar setup (pic only for reference)

by similar setup i mean, fabricating some CAS spacers, and only using a INTAKE cam gear, it could be extremely easy and quick to make adjustments on the spot while on the dyno

my question is

would it be worth it to do this, to get quicker spool
                            i can probly get a cam gear for less than 140$, spacers i don't know, and the actual tuning wouldn't cost much more
                            sigpic

Comment

• Is the cas really importat to return to the same spot? What happened if you turn it a little bit either way?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rapier46 View Post
                                Is the cas really importat to return to the same spot? What happened if you turn it a little bit either way?
                                I wqould belive so since CAS is the Cam Angle Sensor dun wanna **** around with that!
                                1992 BNR32 Skyline GT-R

Originally posted by bignate
                                If you are too lazy to search the site for info you are certainly too lazy maintain a 15+yr old JDM car.
                                Ass, grass or cash Nobody Rides for free!!

Comment

Working...
                                X