Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mitch32 rebuild/winter project

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mitch32
    replied
    Nice, I'll definitely take you up on that offer frankiman, I'll be needing some help forsure. When do you start installing the parts in your car?

    It's bad luck forsure just its unbelievable that it happened to 3 out of my 4 pacakges. And the 4th package hasn't even left yet, so its more 3 out of 3. Anyways I have insurance on everything, and I'll still be optomistic about the crank, it shows up in the Canadapost software as Canadapost receiving it on Sunday the 13th (when packages ship via USPS after Canadapost gets the package from USPS, Canadapost has the tracking number in their system).

    Leave a comment:


  • frankiman
    replied
    ^^ wow mitch, really not blessed by the gods of shipping are you,
    i ordered pretty much all my stuff at the same time as you, and 2/3 of it came in this week, the rest is coming in next week, im only missing a swaybar on back order

    at least you have a car to work on, i don't, so basically i'm stockpilling boxes of parts like a warehouse and i'll be installing them in a 2month timeline, like a madman

    call me up if you need some help, i won't have any morning classes next trimester

    Leave a comment:


  • archaeic_bloke
    replied
    geez buddy, im gonna assume its nismoparts.com using the USPS one... great price on the crank for them! they're not usually burdened with issues, id call them up if i were you and ask what they're doing

    make a fuss about how everyday the package is late its costing you money etc...

    and they should have at it with the USPS for losing the package! they send you another one.. and tell USPS to send the other one back when they find it.. and then they can make a claim for lost package if they need to.

    simple as that
    best of luck

    Leave a comment:


  • mitch32
    replied
    Quick Update and Rant:

    So today slowed down my build hardcore, basically I have 4 different packages ordered from 3 different sources. One package was lost by greyhound (it was a mines downpipe and nismo strut bar, so not a big deal), another package was a r34 gtr gasket kit which some how the shipper shipped to Bulgaria by mistake (thats sorted out but now they have to get a new gasket kit from Nissan and express ship it to me), another package was a new r34 crank and a new r34 coil cover which should of been here by now USPS told me its most probably lost, and lastly I had a package from a sponsor on this board that was supposed to ship mid last week and didnt ship cause they were waiting on Tomei and Koyo (which I wasn't told until yesterday night, the sponsor is a super nice guy and he seems to be a one man operation so its ok but I would of been happy if I was given a heads up). So basically I paid in full close to 8k$ and I have 0, at least the big package was only delayed because of backorders not cause it was lost in the mail.

    Leave a comment:


  • frankiman
    replied
    Originally posted by archaeic_bloke View Post
    mitch im dieing to see what you've got going on there!
    ive seen the parts list, you won't be diasppointed, this car will have some serious grunt

    Leave a comment:


  • archaeic_bloke
    replied
    mitch im dieing to see what you've got going on there!

    Leave a comment:


  • mitch32
    replied
    TK race heads is a machine shop, I know the owner there though someone I went to school with. He's basically doing all the maching, he's porting the head (its his speciality but $$$$, its not something you can do, it takes a pro). I'll balance it at work probably or at his shop not sure yet. Blueprinting is matching everything to be perfect, basically proper machine work, balancing, etc.... The crank/clutch/flywheel balancing TK race heads has the proper tool to do it, so they'll be doing that. TK race heads so far has been my best experience so far on my build, they're probably the most expensive machine shop I've found but you get what you pay for.

    I'm building the engine at work.

    Leave a comment:


  • archaeic_bloke
    replied
    mitch, will you be building the engine by yourself? or you brought it to TK race heads for them to build it for you? or are they just balancing everything for you and you will assemble it at home?

    what is involved in the "Blueprinting" process? is that when they match things to the pieces that weigh more and less?

    Leave a comment:


  • mitch32
    replied
    Yea, its exam season so the project is on pause (I'm graduating though so hopefully no more ******* exams!!).

    As far as updates go, I ordered pretty much everything minus a clutch and a water pump. Everything is taking a while to get shipped, and even one package got lost already (stupid greyhound). The block/head is at TK Race Heads waiting for me to bring bearings/pistons/rods/crank. Everything will be properly balanced/blueprinted including the clutch and flywheel. Head is going to be ported.

    Hopefully come January I'll get the ball rolling, it took a total of ~4-5 days to remove the engine and strip it down. I'm sure I can have the engine back in the car within two weeks come January (I hope!!). Then a quick base tune maybe (quick break in on the dyno), then I'll lock her down until spring time.

    I'm starting to regret getting the N1 Oil Pump, it may actually end up in the for sale section and I'll maybe go Nismo (I'd do Tomei but I don't want to extend the sump).

    Another thing is I'm amazed at how my bills added up so quickly. It's a bit more then I expected, hopefully it'll be worth it.

    Leave a comment:


  • frankiman
    replied
    more updates *****! jk

    Leave a comment:


  • SxyBeast
    replied
    Nice stuff man.

    Leave a comment:


  • kgoeres
    replied
    wow great thread!!!! keep the pics coming

    Leave a comment:


  • mitch32
    replied
    So finished up the complete engine teardown today. As expect there was some of the Philips screws on the back of the oil pump loose, two to be exact.

    If you want to read about the oil pump screws issue I made a post here, click here, and someone replied saying he also had the same issue.

    This is the oil pump, you can see the two screws that are loose




    Now the good stuff, if any one needs I have somewhere around 150-200 photos of the whole block in detail (aka where all the bolts,hoses, etc... are attached, there not pretty but I have a lot).




    Leave a comment:


  • archaeic_bloke
    replied
    thats sounding good then bud!

    please post up more about the oil pump situation when you know more, its the first ive ever heard of that problem and it sounds VERY interesting, can you describe what exactly you were seeing while driving on the oil pressure gauges?

    and did you have any oil leaking from around the block because of that?

    Leave a comment:


  • mitch32
    replied
    That '83' is very mysterious cause to have written it the motor had to be out of the car and also the lines on the back of the motor had to off. Or I guess it could of been written if the headgasket was done.

    I haven't gotten to the oil pump yet, I think I'm through the big stuff so hopefully one more day and I'll get to the oil pump. I have to just remove the head and then oil pan, the oil pump..... Its pretty crazy, most of my time is spent taking pictures of hoses/wires and labeling stuff. There so much stuff on this motor its unbelievable.

    One thing that was interesting is my old turbos are in mint condition, theres less shaft play then on my new turbos. It's around .001" shaft play on the old turbos (amazing for 20 year old turbos). Also, so far everything looks stock, even the clutch is OEM and in good shape.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X