I didn't document this thread as good as I wanted to but my engine was finally dyno tuned yesterday. Everything went super well. I'm extremely happy with the results. My complete setup has changed (I'll update it shortly). I'm also running 1000cc injector dynamic injectors, which are amazing, it idles like stock.
The finally tune on the dyno yielded 470whp @ 7000rpm (the dyno was a mustang chassis dyno which is known to read low numbers, the car feels extremely fast). I never experienced a car so fast in my life (faster then a z06 I drove, faster then an e90 m5, faster then a f430). At around 5500rpm the car just goes into hyper speed and all 4 wheels start to spin even on the highway (I'm running 245width tires all around, they won't last too long).
Now the shitty thing is my coilpacks are fried they have 2ohms and they are supposed to be 0.6-0.9ohms, also the coilpack wires are finished. So because of this I know get misfires over 6000rpm (no always but sometimes). I'm suppoed to pick up some coilpacks tonight and new wires.
Thanks to GTRCanada, AVFAB, TK Race Heads, Autoworx, and many others my car is running great (minus the weak GTR coilpacks). I built this car mostly with AVFAB and TK Race Heads, they are both the most professional people I have ever dealt with. When my head screwed up because of the old valves (initially TK told me to change them but I refused since no one seems to run aftermarket valves), TK still took my head and took it apart and found out the issue and didn't ask for a dime, and even redid the valve job eventhough it wasn't his fault it broke.
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
mitch32 rebuild/winter project
Collapse
X
-
Hey Mitch, sucks to hear that! Hopefully it's the last problem you get with the build...
Call me once the car is running, I want a ride in the monster!
Frank
Leave a comment:
-
It wasn't valve float, think more now it was the old valves just failing cause they were old.
So for now I've ordered new super stiff Valve Springs (good for 10,000rpm), Ferrea Valves Competition Plus on the Intakes and Exhausts, and a New Greddy Timing Belt. Ran out of money so I will probably be running stock injectors for a month or two. A memeber on this board is buying my SARD 700cc injectors.
Hopefully no more issues!!!!
Leave a comment:
-
Well it happened when the tuner let go of the throttle around 7900rpm. It may of happened at 8000rpm when he was on the gas but the car was really loud so we don't know if it was when he was on the gas or not. AFR's were around 12 so it was rich not lean, and engine was running at a good temperature. The guides were reamed to allow 2 thou of play which on most cars is excessive play but on a turbo/nitro car its normal (according to supertech and ferrea). The guides are changed on the exhaust side to Supertech with Manganese Bronze material which actually is self lubricating (but assembly lube was used anyways). The Manganese Bronze is a pretty cool material and as friction increases so does lubrication. One of the valves was cracked so that may of caused it to jam (it may also be cracked because the piston hit it, not sure). And your 1000% right the Tomei Springs should not cause valve float they are good for 8500rpm and even more, sr20gt30r is doing 8800rpm on his stock springs.
And as for how I found the failure, well the engine made some claking noises like a valve touched a piston and then I removed the valve covers and saw that two buckets were lower then the rest. Then I removed the head and saw three valves sticking out, then the builder disassembled the head and we found 3 bent valves.
Leave a comment:
-
the valves guides seizing.. could it be du to bad head lubrification? or just the vavle springs weren't stiff enough, because the tomei type A shouldn't float up to 8200rpm at the very least
what exactly happened during failure, how did you first discover that there was a failure?
Leave a comment:
-
Yea, I'm probably the guy Pat told you about, heh. Thanks for the comment.Originally posted by Gza36chambers View PostHoly Sh*t you are the dude pat has been telling me about? Damn man your GTR is really sexy. The R34s look sweet.
Hopefully my car will be done next week, took the head off, a few bent valves. Why, I dunno I have to figure that out.
Leave a comment:
-
Holy Sh*t you are the dude pat has been telling me about? Damn man your GTR is really sexy. The R34s look sweet.
Leave a comment:
-
hope you can find out the problem soon, and that its not too bad
and have this beast up and running before the really good weather sets in
GL
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks, I'm hopeing by tuesday I'll have the head off and then diagnose the problem. The person who built the head guarantees his work, he's been extremely professional up until this point. I can't figure out what happened, so far it only looks like I need 2 exhaust valves and a timing belt, just have to figure out what happened first. And the 5 hours I paid for dyno tuning is kinda lost!!
Leave a comment:
-
Hey Mitch, nice numbers, sorry to hear something went wrong
Hopefully you'll be able to get it back together soon.
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks, I keep everyone updated. Just a quick update though on the dyno I did ~405rwhp at 15psi on a mustang dyno @ 8000rpm. So not all is bad, had amazing numbers for a low-mount twin setup @ 15psi (at 20psi or more I'll hopefully do around 500rwhp).
Leave a comment:
-
Bad s**t went down, had a failure on the dyno. I don't want to point the finger at anyone so I'm not posting here what happened or why it happened until I figure it out. It was a sad day yesterday. It wasn't too bad, just I need to remove the head and find out what happened. I might have a defective part somewhere.
Josh you know what happened, but don't post it here please. I will post what happened and what the cause was as soon as I know. I don't want to say this happened and it happened because of this, and then someone ask who built the motor or head. Its no ones fault as far as I can tell right now. The head will be off and I'll inspect it on monday/tuesday.
Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: