No announcement yet.

Caliber's R32 GTR Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow really nice restoration job! cant wait to start mine this winter! Can't wait to see more updates! As well as yours Frankie!
    "Syntax with a steering wheel."
    Volkswagen R32 Daily
    Nissan R32 Skyline Summer Car

Comment

• Thanks for all the kind words, it's good to hear positive feedback on my labor of love.

Originally posted by cobrAA View Post
      did you put some sort of deadening flex agent while you were there?

the finish look very good by the way.
      I opted to do it without, I've been told by most guys I've talked to that there is a decent amount of flex additives in the clear coat and the paint has the means to flex as well. As for undercoating/sound deadening, there isn't any left except for the wheel arches.
      “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

• is this POR15 paint?

Comment

• No , por15 does not look like that . por15 is a resin that is formulated to bond directly with the metals crystal structure making it all but impervious. If you spray por15 with a gun like that you might just as well throw the gun away after lol .

That is regular base and clear over an epoxy primer i think .

I wouldn't do that to mine becuase i would then not drive it incase i chipped it. I was bad enough with my last project - it stayed garaged after i finished it for similar reasons .....

Make sure you drive it no matter how clean and nice it is !

Comment

• ohhh

personally I plan to do a restoration like this in the future aswell. if you had the underbody stripped down to the metal, i would of POR15'd it and be done with rust forever. and they also have a product to spray on the top layer for flexibility and chip resistance.

Comment

• I went into it thinking that I'm gonna keep it immaculate but in reality I know it'll get chipped and scrapped. All I can do is try to prevent it by certain means and stay ontop of cleaning. I used some por15 in areas where there was some surface rust, cleaned the area, por-15 and then sanded. It was 2 coats SPI epoxy primer, 3 coats base coat quantum silver and 3 coats clear. I also used solvent based paint that I had to get from the states as BC only uses waterborne which cannot be applied in a garage and also not in heat.
              Last edited by caliber676; 09-22-2012, 02:30 PM.
              “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

• Originally posted by GODSPEED View Post
                ohhh

personally I plan to do a restoration like this in the future aswell. if you had the underbody stripped down to the metal, i would of POR15'd it and be done with rust forever. and they also have a product to spray on the top layer for flexibility and chip resistance.
                The only problem with por-15 is it isn't compatible with a lot of primers, builders so I did it where it needed it and the spi epoxy is top notch. The clear already had a decent flex agent, most supply shops will say its pointless to get it.

I would say if you can handle the grueling removal of undercoating, and prepping the surface it's a great project. It would be cool to see how other people would go about it and see more car showing off the underbody

Comment

• Just farted in my coveralls...about 2 minutes later it smelt horrendous. Almost got sick but held it down. Speaking of sick....holy f'n tits batman that looks amazing. 60% of the time i'm pretty much retarded 100% of the time. Random?
                  gtr garage queen...anybody seen my wallet?

Comment

• Haha awesome post, thought I'd share what it looks like unmasked, now onto piecing it back together "where the hell is that part?!?"

Comment

• Amazing read, and ubber informative, i think ive seen you role around burnaby before

epic restoration
                      Its not just a car, Its a Life style
                      O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

• anybody ever thought about Rhino lining or LineX for underbody coating?

Comment

• As long as you prep the surface you could do that. The only thing I can say is even when you look at the factory undercoating and it looks sound and clean, there's spots of surface rust and places where water and dirt has got through so I would advise removing the factory coating THEN rhino lining or lineX

Comment

• thanks for reassuring me! i was planing on sanding everything down and repairing it then the coating

Comment

• Hey Caliber
                              any chance you can write up a step by step guide how you repainted the engine bay and underbody.
                              pm me if you need a hand with something, im just over in Coquitlam
                              Its not just a car, Its a Life style
                              O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

• ^ sure ill try to make something up when I got some spare time in the next couple days, and I'll keep your offer in mind if I need a hand in the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X