No announcement yet.

Dr. Marus or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the RB26DETT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ... and the Hard Luck Award nominees are... Marus92...

Comment

• I don't how or why you have issues with the bkre7s. I've never had an issue at 27psi 710whp and 8200rpms
      1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

• ^ They're ISO plugs; their contact tip 3mm shorter than what the engine was built for, JIS plugs. You have new coilpacks I assume? Your springs have a sharper spring rate and better contact patch than I have with my old coilpacks and their tired springs.

Lemme put it this way. Young and taut vs old and "experienced".

This is also in the same vein to why people jump the gun and blame their oil coilpacks and issues dissapear when they replace them. I think I'd feel a good change in HP with new coilpacks and proper plugs, I definitely feel like damage was done.

PS: They were BKR6s, should have been even easier to fire than the colder 7s.
        Last edited by MarusGTR; 03-03-2014, 02:29 PM.
        1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

• Hmm very interesting. I haven't researched this to check your facts so I'll just assume you're correct. I just find it really hard to believe that what I consider to be the generally accepted plug that 90% of rbs run is wrong and has a contact tip that is 3mm too short. Yes I am running new coil packs (yellow jackets) but you would think the issue would be exacerbated even further at the boost and power levels I and many others are running yet there are no issues
          1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

• ^ The issue was raised on SAU a couple times. The problem is that BKRs are the perfect plug for RB25s, but not RB26s or RB20s. The FSM calls for JIS plugs for the RB26, black on white. I assume that the earlier design of the RB20 and RB26 were more japan-centric, but the later RB25 of the 90s used ISO components, such as the spark plugs, e.g. the BKR.

I think too much generalization brought at lot of misconceptions to the Skyline community.

As for your reservations, yeah I get that I'm rocking the boat a bit. But keep in mind that the spring isn't supposed to be at length, its supposed to be longer so that it'll be compressed and increase the contact. This is where the 3mm is being more easily taken up by new coilpacks. I think people are just lucking out that they're springs and not socket contacts.

EDIT: What I'm really saying here, is that BKRs can be used with new coilpacks. They're easier to find and you, and Bobbo for that matter, are running them great. But for people like me, trying to maintain the original engine, these plugs can lead to damage. Caveat emptor, sadly, and I payed for it.
            Last edited by MarusGTR; 03-03-2014, 03:06 PM.
            1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

• Sick build thread, I will be watching for updates in the future.

+1 for attention to detail!
              1992 Gts-t, BPU. (SOLD)
              1990 Gts-t, BPU. (SOLD)

Comment

• Just finished reading this ( and to be honest, I actually don't remember why I started or how I got here) and it was awesome. Big ups to you for such an awesome build thread. I'll be sub'ing for future updates!
                Kevin S.

Current: 1992 Skyline GT-R (on the way!)
                EX - 1995 BMW E36 M3
                EX - 1993 Silvia S14 w/S15 Front
                EX - 1990 Skyline GTS-T Type M

Comment

• Thanks guys, but sadly, there won't be an update, not this year. It's been a hard decision but I'm extending her storage until 2015, as I've just moved into Quebec and I'll be too financially insecure to cover the running costs. Right now she needs new RUCAS, coilpacks, front CV shafts... and that's only what I'm aware of. A silver lining can still be found though. If my predoc goes well and I start saving enough cash, I'll be able to find a suitable garage to rent and start buying tools as they go on sale. Major savings should be found that way.

Also, I might do some little upgrades next year, including an idea for custom (tasteful) bodywork I've been toying with since some rust patch up work is necessary with the cracking floorpan sealant. Another (embarassingly small) stepping stone to my eventual magnum opus, if you will.

But its still all up in the air. Right now I can only hope of being smart enough to be able to go through the daunting task ahead of me. So, I probably won't be around much this summer as I don't want to remind myself of what I'm missing out on.
                  Last edited by MarusGTR; 06-11-2014, 04:36 PM.
                  1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

• Love this, car looks sweet stock bodied.
                    91'- GTR - SOLD
                    94'- GTR

Comment

• love all your hard work!
                      Heart rate 160, I'm goin 260, RB26 run me past you in a jiffy

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

• Just spent the last couple hours reading through this. Awesome build thread. I love your attention to detail with everything, and I like how well you document your story in this thread. Hope to see some more updates this summer!

Comment

• If you don't like rust be careful playing around with custom bodywork. Plus would you take a supermodel to get collagen inplants?
                          Just kidding.
                          Best of luck Marc. Hard work and sacrifice will pay off in the end.

Comment

• Just read all your build, nice work man!

Where are you in Quebec ?

Comment

• Again, thank you for the kind words guys! I'm still not sure if she'll come out this year. Money's tight, I'm expected to move out during the summer, plus conferences, predoc exams... God knows I need her company, though.

Here's a gift! I took this picture while changing her fluids, went for an illegal 5 minute drive to splash the oil. That means I only got to drive her 5 minutes in all of 2014.

Originally posted by bobbo View Post
                              If you don't like rust be careful playing around with custom bodywork. Plus would you take a supermodel to get collagen inplants?
                              Just kidding.
                              All natural for me, please.

If I do end up doing something, it'll probably be minor or just changing the QPs to new ones. The problem is that the whole QPs are a write off, they're a mess. And if I do get something a bit more creative done, it'll be tasteful and era-correct. Or I'll just do nothing, hope no one gets too close to the problem areas and that the rust wont destroy what's left. Another problem is if I -do- get the custom QPs I want, they'll only match with LMGT1s :P.

Originally posted by bobbo View Post
                              Best of luck Marc. Hard work and sacrifice will pay off in the end.
                              And Rob, I can only hope so.

Originally posted by Yann View Post
                              Just read all your build, nice work man!

Where are you in Quebec ?
                              Thanks, and Sherbrooke.

Edit: Aaaaaaaaaaaand I'll need a garage that I can rent for cheap. Yeah that's important too.
                              Last edited by MarusGTR; 01-24-2015, 03:11 AM.
                              1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

• Hey Marus!

I just found a YouTube video of yours, and like the exhaust sound!

Is it decat and Kakimoto Full mega N1? And is it too loud to your neighbours' liking?

I am choosing an exhaust and personally like the kakimoto mega n1 premium single but worry if it's too loud for daily driver.

Comment

Working...
                                X