3 Years, 3 Motors and finally in the 700whp club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Years, 3 Motors and finally in the 700whp club

So this is going to be a bit of a story and there wont be many updates as the project is near its end as far as progression is concerned but I hope you enjoy my little tale.

The story starts off 3 summers ago when I picked up my stock bnr32 for less than most people pay for their shells due to having a undiagnosed maf issue. Anyway I picked it up for dirt cheap swapped in a new maf and she was off to the races. At this point she was stock with the basic breather upgrades and boost controller. I daily drover her for about a year and even delivered pizzas in her for one summer. I took her to the drag strip 3 times and did a respectable 13.01 @ 105mph. As the following summer ended I decided I wanted more power. I decided I wanted to go big single so I thought I would throw a quality turbo kit on and see what the stock short block could do, however a compression test revealed low comp in cyl 5 and 6. This is where the money pit began. It was one thing after another and when it was all said and done I found myself $35,000 into my motor. After taking a year to finally get the motor together I broke it in and got on the dyno with a power fc d jetro running map sensors. Had my fair share of bugs to work out with the firs t set up but finally got it all settled in and put down a measly 521awhp @18 psi on pump and water meth. I had less than 3k km on the motor when I made it out to my first drag night with the new motor. First pass of the night the meth failed and I blew out the piston rings in cyl 4 and 6. I was devastated as I literally saw my $$ go up in a cloud of blew smoke. I was beaten but i was not finished. We tore her apart yet again and found the rings fried so i decided to order a new set of pistons, bearings, and a hg set. We threw her back together again this being my 3rd motor. I had made a few upgrades the biggest of which was swapping out the old tired power fc for a much more current vipec v44 ecu. I was then off to a different tuner to see what she could do. Bill at independent speed shop lived up to his reputation as he got the car all settled in and gave me a nice base tune just running off waste-gate pressure at 13psi and making a decent 460whp. I did this so i could at least enjoy the car for a few months as I was afraid to blow the motor again without getting to drive it. So these last few months I drove the car a few times a month and it didn't take me long to get mored of the lack of power. So it was off to independent speed shop again to let bill work his magic. I dropped off the car with bill on thursday morning and literally told him i was tired of ***** footing around with the car and I just wanted him to push it to 30psi regardless of what little issues were to arise. I got a call later on in the afternoon with him informing me he made it up to 555whp @17psi on pump gas and he was about to start my race fuel tune (Shell URT advance 110 oct unleaded) I was ecstatic and couldn't wait for the results. A few hours later he told me he got to 650whp and the plugs **** the bed so he was going to get back at it in the morning. I showed up at ISS today to see him wrenching away on the car. I was glad to figure out he was just repositioning a charge pipe that had blown and it was quickly back making some steam on the dyno. I told Bill my goal was 700whp or 30psi whatever came first. The numbers started climbing 660, 676, 689, and finally he brings me over and asks me if i was happy and points to the screen which reads 710.6whp 520 ft/lbs @28 psi. i couldn't be happier as i drove the car home. My first pull I let off at 6k simply because the car scared the **** out of me. I did a few small pulls on the way home half scared and half thrilled. So after 3 long years 3 motors and enough money for a down payment on a house I am finally happy with the end result of the motors and the car that I had built when I reached my goal. For the future I will simply be adding small aesthetic upgrades and regular maintenance. I plan to just enjoy the car and take her out to the strip as I chase down my 10 second pass. If anyone made it this far and read the story enjoy the pictures. I skipped out on a lot on the journey in this brief synopsis but I would really like to thank a few people. First of all Evolution Automotive in New westminster has been the cars home for the better part of 3 years and has helped in every aspect of the car. Also the Independent speed shop and specially Bill for always doing great work and helping to get the car to where she sits now. Thats all for tonight guys let me know what you think.

1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

click on last image to play video

Comment

thats awesome dude extremely happy for you man i hope i will get there soon my car is making 435 right now, still have to ask after all this money, time spend and headache if yo women still around shes the one lol..

Comment

congrats jon. after feeling over 740whp yesterday as a passenger, i can see how f*cking scary these things can be on the street.
        97' R33 GT-R Vspec
        Sonic Silver

www.arnejatrading.com

Comment

Congrats! Hope she'll give you a lot more years of service this time
          1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Good to see its back up and running stronger than ever!
            “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Good job Jon, on your project and you finally post a thread in the Buld section. Now, can you briefly post your set up details!? Things like:
              Cams/Springs/HG,
              Cranck/BRGS/Pistons/Rods,
              Turbo (BW S366?)/Ex AR, ECU/INJ size/ Fule pump(s)/ fuel lines,
              Methanol? Or Racing gas only?
              Also, the car made 710 hp in the RWD form, what would you calculated HP be in AWD set up?
              TTBB is a true ACN member

Comment

Here ya go

Bottom end
                Wesico 86.5mm pistons
                Tomei H beam rods
                acl race bearings
                ati 1000hp damper
                Tomei hi flow oil pump
                Greddy trust sump extension
                Arp Main studs
                Brand New oem nissan r34 crankshaft
                custom crank collar to give .02 clearance on oil pump inner gear
                N1 water pump

Head:
                Tomei procams 270 duration 10.25mm lift
                Supertech dual valve springs with titanium retainers
                supertech valve guides/seals
                Greddy Timing belt
                Arp Head studs
                tomei 87mm 1.2mm head gasket (and full tomei metal gasket kit)
                Oem nissan gasket kit
                tomei adj cam gears
                5 angle valve grind!

Turbo Kit:
                Borg Warner S300x 91-79 t4 turbo with a .91ar twin scroll exhaust housing
                Tial 60mm wastegate
                Twin HKS ssqv3 limited black edition bovs
                6boost true t4 twin scroll equal length manifold!

Fuel:
                tomei 11mm fuel rail
                Id1000 1000cc injectors
                Custom swirl pot fed by stock gtr fuel pump
                Inline aeromotive a1000 fuel pump
                All stainless steel braided fuel feed and return lines from the pump to the rail
                aeromotive a1000 fuel pressure regulator

Drive train/suspensionweakest link of build)
                Tranny will remain stock for the time being
                clutch is a hks gd pro triple plate
                Nismo slave cylinder
                nismo tension rods
                ams upper control arms
                larger front and rear sway bars
                nismo engine/tranny mounts
                solid rear subframe bushings

Cooling:
                Trust 30 row oil cooler with oil filter relocation with all ss braided lines
                koyo aluminum rad

All controlled through a vipec v44

Difference between rwhp and awhp is negligible especially on a not true awd car like a bnr32 but anyway you assume 15-18% drivetrain loss on rwd and 17-25% on awd

Comment

How's the solid subframe bushings for city driving? I got my full rear end done and would like to hear some first hand accounts.
                  “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

What's your base fuel pressure and what's your injector duty cycle?
                    Last edited by Black BNR32; 08-03-2013, 11:17 PM.
                    oh hai!

Comment

Originally posted by caliber676 View Post
                      How's the solid subframe bushings for city driving? I got my full rear end done and would like to hear some first hand accounts.
                      It's not the best to be honest if I cared enough I would probably swap them out but oh we'll. if you have an aftermarket rear diff then the noise of the diff bothers me more than the solid bushings.

Comment

Originally posted by Black BNR32 View Post
                        What's your base fuel pressure and what's your injector duty cycle?
                        Base fuel pressure is 42 psi and duty at redline is 82%

Comment

Thanks. You just saved me a few hundred bucks by going with the id1000s instead of the 1300s.
                          oh hai!

Comment

Yea well at 82% at red line I'm pretty much maxed out for fuel so if I wanted any more id go with the id1300s

Comment

IMO, you're fine. The 1000s are safe to 95% as per the website.
                              oh hai!

Comment

Working...
                              X