Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yann's BNR32 build/project

Hey!
    first of all, let me introduce myself, I’m 24 years old, I live in Quebec (English is not my native language so don’t by shy to correct me and be indulgent haha) and I’m still student at university.

It may not be a crazy 70k build thread but figured I would write one so I could keep track of everything I’ve done on the car.

Before my GTR I had a Fairlady Z 2+2 Twin turbo (rhd), 2 Turbo AWD Eagle Talon's and a Camaro Z/28 (father's muscle cars influence).

That being said, I got my car back in december 2011, after the sale of my Fairlady. It's a 1990 BNR32 with some goodies. The car needed some love because the front had been hooked. But other than that he was in immaculate condition.

It was owned by a guy who lives about 20 minutes from my home, on the road up to my parent's campground. He bought the car in 2004 (one of the first GTR imported in Quebec) so, since I was 15, I watched the car every time I went to my parents campground, I was dreaming of that BNR32. But when you're 15, buying a car like that seems so far away.
    When the owner finally put it up for sale after 7 years of ownership, I had just sold my Fairlady (perfect timing) so I jumped on it.

Here is a picture of the car back in 2006/7

He bought the car with 37,000 kilometres; I bought it at 62k.

Here are the pictures when I purchased the car (don’t mind the snow, the car was garage stored but he let the car outside the day I picked it up because he was not at home.)

Me, really happy with my redneck camo/jogging suit. Note that my Fairlady stayed in my garage until spring so I’ve bought a ?canva shelter? for the remaining 3 months of winter.

The engine bay needed love (chipped valve cover/intake paint, and dirty in general)

Here's a list of the parts that was on the car when I bought it (keep in mind that some of these parts are no longer on the car since then)

Mechanic;
    - R34 N1 twin turbo's
    - Apex'i power intakes
    - Veilside 3,5po downpipe
    - Apex'I GT hybrid front mount intercooler
    - ORC 559 twin plate clutch
    - Apex'i RS evolution 3 3/4 catback
    - Blitz Access ECU (found later)
    - Braided turbo oil feed lines

Wheels, handling & brakes
    - Cusco front strut bar
    - Cusco rear strut bar
    - Cusco brake master cylinder stopper
    - Work emotion XD9 18x10 +18 bronzes
    - Work wheel nuts
    - Falken Azenis RT615 265/35R18 all around
    - R33 GTR V SPEC 324mm AMS two-pieces front discs
    - AMS front caliper spacers
    - unknow slutted rear discs
    - Tein coilovers
    - EBC green stuff brake pads all around
    - GAB rear sway bar (not installed)

Esthetic
    - N1 front bumper
    - TBO carbon wing
    - TBO front grill

Interior
    - Key!s suede steering wheel
    - Veilside cluster
    - Défi black face water temps, boost, oil pressure
    - HKS turbo timer
    - Nismo 400R driver seat
    - Recaro SR2 helper seat
    - Bride floormats
    - Nismo carbon shift knob
    - Nismo short shifter

A lot of work have been done since 2011, stay tuned!
    Last edited by Yann; 12-03-2015, 03:12 AM.

February 2012

Back then, I was full of projects, I started by fixing the exterior of the car since there was no front lip, ducts, bumper had some scratches and was not correctly attached to the fenders.

We we’re in February and I had been selected to expose my GTR in an interior car show by the end of march so I had a lot of job to do before showing up there.

Sourced an OEM front lip here on GTRC.

bumper/lip freshly painted

Back on the car

I also sold my TBO front grill (rare!) I sold it in 20 minutes to a guy here on GTRC. I prefer the look of the OEM grill.

Sourced an OEM grill in a JDM shop in Montreal, painted it, voila!

Finally, the only part that was missing to complete my front end was the N1 ducts (hard to find as nobody sold them without selling the complete bumper and really expensive at Nissan dealership) and I was looking for OEM, no FRP rip-offs.
    Last edited by Yann; 12-25-2013, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Lookin good! She has it where it counts. Up next: change out that hideous TBO wing!

Comment

+1 for loosing the wing. Great car to start with though. Great find!
        Under the hood of my car looked the same (same colour too). I highly recommend two bottles of Castrol Super Clean and various soft brushes. It will come out as good as new. Don't scrub too hard as there is no clear coat under the hood and the paint comes off easily.
        I love the wheels btw.

Comment

Thank you for the remarks, the wing is long gone now as you will read in the next chapter.

February 2012; part 2

I had a serious clean up to do in the engine bay before showing up at the “salon de l’auto sport antique et modifié”. So with the help of tons of rags, simple green, blue magic and patience I cleaned all the old dirt. I also bought lots of bolts, nuts, clips to replace the “no more shiny” old one. Don't forget that my car was in a canvas (I really dont know how to translate ''garage de toile'') and we we're in february so it was VERY cold to work outside.

Before; (clean up already started, I do not take enough pictures.)

Painted some parts;

Polished my Cusco type OH front strut tower bar;

Painted the valve cover silver and bought a rip-off Nismo oil cap (no more on the car)

Started the clean-up of my Bride floor mats;

Got my divided charge pipe done;

Good progression since the day 1;

At the end of February, the weather began to be warmer, so I took the car out and washed it the first time. This also allowed me to do a good cleaning of the inside of my shelter;

I removed the TBO wing; (for sell, PM me if interested)

Nismo/Recaro seats;

another interior shot;

Got my trim wrapped in carbon to match my Nismo carbon shift knob;

to be continued

Comment

March 2012

Early march, my ex Fairlady finally left my garage so I could start doing more serious work (at least not work 20 minutes, go warm up in my house 15 minutes and so on).

I had with the car a set of Defi BF gauges that was not connected, so I decided it was time to make them work;

I’m not a fan of stuff scattered everywhere in the car and with all the electronics we have/need (boost controller, turbo timer, gauges, gauges control unit, AWD/2WD switch, etc) it’s hard to make it look proper.

So, as you probably know, Defi gauges come with a control unit, to keep the sleek look of the interior I decided to install it in the center console.

I simply cut the bottom of the glove box;

The size is perfect;

And ran the wiring through the console;

Bingo!

I also bought some bling bling red stitched shift/e-brake boots;

When I bought the car, the oil pan bolt was stripped so there was a small oil leak. My friend Raphael, owner of MR fab came to help me. He’s the guy who “fabricated” this twin 4-AGE turbo echo.
            This is a clip from a French Canadian TV Show EPR. This clip shows a 500+ hp Twin Engine Toyota Echo Hatchback. Carl Nadeau (profession race car drive) takes...

So, when I got problems, something didn’t work, something seems not possible, I give him a call and it’s always an easy fix for him, haha.

Oil change at the same time;

At that time, the snow was starting to melt and temperature was warmer (has you can NOT see in the picture below, haha);

I was almost ready for the car show, we we’re the 19 march and the show started the 30.
            Last edited by Yann; 12-25-2013, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Love that Nismo Seat. Did you ever end out selling it?
              Jordie Lewis
              1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

Originally posted by S13Jordie View Post
                Love that Nismo Seat. Did you ever end out selling it?
                Yeah man I sold it last summer to a guy with a type X 180sx, he was really happy especially at this price!

Comment

Spring/summer 2012

The car show was a real success, lot of nice comments about my car, good discussions, met many interesting peoples and took a bit of alcohol as the show is in a hotel and we had a room.

Also a good pub for my website www.prayfrjapan.com, we organize meets, track days, rides and we feature cars.

Some random shots of the first day my car came out officially of storage

Someone backed up in my car, yay! Again my friend at MR fab helped me.

GT Hybrid;

Before;

After;

PrayFRjapan opening meet of the 2012 season;

I daily driven the car all the summer, adding 15,000 kilometres to the odometer, the car ran like a charm without any big issues. I've enjoyed drivin it and I didnt bought any big parts or done big changes during the summer.

Tires, OEM Key, link kits, OEM rear wing

With a friend

Little footage by Ladd Photography;

http://vimeo.com/47949543

Comment

Real nice Yann....keep it up buddy
                    Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Originally posted by Oakville View Post
                      Real nice Yann....keep it up buddy
                      Thank you man!

Comment

Autumn 2012

Since I bought the car, high beams have always malfunctionned. I take a look a the wiring and he was in bad shape. With the help of a friend good in car wiring, we repaired everything that was damaged.

I also decided to clean the surface rust under the battery tray;

Before;

After;

Not my best paint job but..haha, better than rust.

New diff fluid;

Polished charge pipe;

No more tinted windows;

Bought a new coilpack harness, very fast shipping and good service at right drive;

My friend who is a student in engeeniring designed me a custom cooling plate;

I have not yet taken the time to make it laser-cutted.

Mega-custom floormat hook, haha. (was missing the driver side one)

I had missfire issue, quickly found the problem, ass-ploded coilpack

Sold my Recaro & Nismo seats and bought two Bride Ergo;

with the floormats;

Work + Bride = sexy *****;
                        Last edited by Yann; 07-27-2014, 10:27 PM.

Comment

edit*

Comment

Hey didn't pay attention when i was reading your thread, but, do you have any spacers on the wheels? And if a guy would get a set of XD9s would you still stick with +18 offset or would you go lower and make your wheel stick out a bit more?
                            TTBB is a true ACN member

Comment

Belle ride ! Je suis de québec moi aussi tes de quel coin ?

Comment

Working...
                              X