No announcement yet.

Zero_wheeler's BNR32!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to be actually doing what you've been trained to do! I was posted to AETE from 2011 to 2013. Still in Cold Lake but working at Wing Ops for the time being.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Apparently it's a good spot to work. My brother was posted there probably 6-8 years ago and it appears he may be going back as CO next posting season.
      Ok. No more thread jacking. Sorry.

Comment

LOL sorry zero_wheeler! You know how talking shop can sometimes get carried away. Great build!

Comment

Ahaha, no worries guys. I think it's pretty ironic we've all got military backgrounds. I enjoy working on these old jets.. I get my name on the side of my jet, plus I get to do a lot of traveling. Then again, I work a ton of hours..

Speaking of which, I just got back from dropping my car off at the Military port here in Naha, Japan. I'm changing bases here soon and they're shipping my car for me. Here in a couple months It'll show up to a port in the UK and i'll be waiting with a big stupid smile.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

I've got a few more minor updates i'll get around to posting here soon. Nothing too serious, not yet anyways :P

Comment

Where is your next posting? Still in Japan?

Comment

Before I get too ahead of myself, I need to finish documenting what changes have been recently made.

I traded my OEM seat with a few bucks for Sparco Rev. This thing is a bucket seat if I've ever sat in one. I've never owned a full bucket seat, let alone try to daily drive a car with one. As much of an inconvenience it may sound like, I absolutely love the thing. I feel so much more secure and safe during spirited and daily driving with the bucket and 4pt than i'd imagine. The seat has minimal wear on the drivers side bolster from previous owners, but other than that it's flawless. Came with the rail and everything

Ignore the crap in the back. I'm not usually that messy in the car, my dorm is small and i'm not allowed to store car parts in the dorm.. I'll get back to that later.

Next, I was fortunate enough to help a friend part out his GTR.
              As sad as it was tearing into a fellow GTR, I learned a lot about removing certain components that never really get talked about or brought up. Plus, I'm always willing to help a friend and I remember seeing some pretty nice parts on his car he was talking about selling.

I left that day with an aluminum radiator, Samco upper hose, stainless braided clutch line, a few misc fuses, Nardi Personal steering wheel, and a 15 row HKS oil cooler with mounting ducts, braided lines and fittings, sandwich plate, and all hardware.

Man, I love part outs. All those goodies for just over 300.

The next couple days I decided to make an attempt at swapping my oem manifolds to some Off brand tubular style manifolds, swap the oem dump housings to off brand tubular style, fix my oil leaks, and install my radiator.

Believe it or not, I was able to get it all done within around 13 hours.

HOWEVER..

I would NOT recommend using those manifolds to anyone. It was a STRUGGLE to say the least getting them mounted. I ended up having to bore out one of the manifolds mount holes and in the end I still had a minor exhaust leak. When the time and money situation is right, I will be upgrading to a set of HKS or Tomei manifolds. The dump housings we're a little different. With a little finagling they we're not hard to mount outside the car, however, I could not get the thread adapters out of the old housings for the oxygen sensors, so they didn't end up getting used.

Needless to say i'm pretty much done wasting time with cheap parts. I thought I learned my lesson in the past with other parts for other cars, I didn't think exhaust could really be that difficult to manufacture.

Anyways, he'res the part you're looking for.. Pics or it didn't happen right?

After purchasing the radiator, I decided I wanted to knock my whole cooling setup out at once. Which lead to the purchase of a Billion 65*C Thermostat.

It ended up being quite a struggle changing the thermostat, but well worth it. With the new radiator, thermostat, and hoses, the car now runs around 73-74*C in traffic.

Best of all, if you remember my Head Gasket Fiasco, When the gasket originally blew, I was about 2 hours from home. Lucky for me there was a water spout very close to where I broke down. My savior came with a cost. The straight hose water rusted out the OEM radiator pretty fast. So I essentially knocked out two birds with one stone.

I've now have the proper cooling system, along with replacing a faulty part.

I love it, fix the broken part with something stronger right?
              It's pretty much the basis of my build.

For those still following, You probably noticed the catch can finally got the correct hose as well.

Still a few small things to come, then it's moving time!

Comment

Originally posted by bobbo View Post
                Where is your next posting? Still in Japan?
                RAF Lakenheath in the UK!

Comment

Tire Update! Plus negotiating some future plans?

The old Dunlops had seen better days. They were a decent all around tire with decent grip just about everywhere. Showing wear bars and threads, It was time to place an order.

While working in Singapore for a month, I placed an order on a set of 255/40/ZR17 Nitto NT05's

Then of course, I had to break them in. Even thought it was a short run, Had a second to take some pictures..

Even gave the panoramic app a shot..

Not bad for an Iphone right?

Anyways, the tires are amazing. So much grip just about everywhere. Even in the wet, its surprising how much grip they make for a performance street tire. I can't compare them the Direzza ZII's or anything in that nature. Quite frankly because i've never driven on a set, but i'm more than happy with my Nitto's.

As you probably already know, I'm currently in the middle of a move.

Before too long, I'll be moving from my small dorm room here in Japan, to a place in the UK. I'm more than exited for the change, mostly because they're shipping my car for me. But most importantly, I should be getting my own place, with an actual garage!

Living and building a car out of a dorm room that constantly gets inspected it quite hard. Basically any car parts at all inside your room are prohibited. So moving a bare RB26 block in and out becomes quite a challenge..

That's the temporary parts corner of my current room. The closet is full of parts.

The bare block I got for next to nothing with an oil pan and front diff.

They're coming with me and are part of my long term build plans

As for now,it's getting cleaned up for shipment. Then when the time and money are right, it'll get machined.

That's pretty much it for now.

Once i'm reunited with the car in the UK I'll be sure to post an update!

Comment

Hahah! Nice work on the shadow garage you're running in your shack. Car is coming along very nicely.

Also, you guys have some really gucci postings!

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X