Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCNR33 V-Spec - Beginner build

deleted.
    Last edited by leung23c; 05-31-2015, 08:24 PM.

Few questions I have in mind:

1. I have Jun valve springs and Titanium valve retainers, 10,000km old used parts. The valve springs can be tested for spring pressure to verify its reliability but what about the Ti retainers? I have heard people saying they are completely sales pitch with no particular use at all, and others say they increase valvetrain durability. However one thing I seem to agree (more like following internet thing) is they wear out quicker than the stock steel retainer counterpart. One way to address this issue is WPC treat the Ti retainers, like how Jun offers it as an option

2. Should I worry about front diff? It looks like it cannot be changed unless engine is out, and If they fail, or explode in some cases, part of it will fly through the oil pan, thus toasting the entire engine.

3. What is the best piston I should get? Mahle makes Ferrari F1 engine piston so for sure they know their ****, yet some members from SAU complain they have the smallest piston skirt and rattle the worst when cold. CP piston is good **** but they expand more than Tomei, hence more rattle at cold, though not the end of the world. N1 piston is a nice choice for 550~600hp range but they are, afterall, CASTED, not bulletproof. For the price I prefer to go with CP, and I have NOTHING against any other brands besides monetary reason.

Comment

deleted.

Comment

deleted.

Comment

im excited to see how that block turns out!! crazy
          - Adam

:
          http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/44846-project-nashzilla-r32-gt-t-neo.html

Comment

You mention monetary restrictions but some of your parts don't fit that guideline.
            Don't forget it's all as weak as the weakest part don't worry about the front diff, there are no reports on such failures.
            Forget any WPC process, won't fit your budget well.

CP pistons and carrillo rods are a good combo. or cp/eagle if you're tight which are fine.

Wait... you have crazy parts in your head, you need more parts to support that thing! What are you doing for oiling and drivetrain?

I've been where you are with the engine, same situation (newly built engine, failed at the same place too) but I'm to blame. Hence why I'm trying to go back to mustangs! hahaha No unreliable gtr woes.
            Last edited by Bruizer; 12-13-2014, 03:32 AM.
            No build thread.
            1991 nissan
            El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

deleted.

Comment

yeah go all out for sure, none of that half ass stuff
                No build thread.
                1991 nissan
                El terror

Comment

For the money, may as well go for drysump.

No matter what, you also need a better crank damper, ROSS or ATi.

Originally posted by leung23c View Post
                  My money is spent of examination and testing of each components and the best possible machining and assembly. BEL is excellent at their work and I will take my chances. Since every single part is disassembled and tested and measured I realized I may as well just go all out....

As for oiling:
                  Tomei pump
                  Mine's cam baffles
                  Hi-octane extended sump
                  Breather-to-catch can-to-exhaust pipe
                  Accusump oil surge tank with manual valve

Okay back to waiting haha~
                  Last edited by xcye; 12-14-2014, 12:45 PM.

Comment

My money is spent of examination and testing of each components and the best possible machining and assembly. BEL is excellent at their work and I will take my chances. Since every single part is disassembled and tested and measured I realized I may as well just go all out....

As for oiling:
                    Tomei pump
                    Mine's cam baffles
                    Hi-octane extended sump
                    Breather-to-catch can-to-exhaust pipe
                    Accusump oil surge tank with manual valve

Okay back to waiting haha~
                    what about ur oil pump drive? Il be doing the spool RB spline drive set up. But you should do something, it would be a shame to do all this and then skip ur pump and pop goes the RB
                    1992 BNR32 Skyline
                    285hp / 220tq @ 15.5PSI On Mustang Dyno 2014-09-22

Current Build:
                    Precision 6264 Turbo 1.00A/R
                    Tomei PonCam Type B
                    Manley Titanium Valvetrain
                    CP Pistons / Manley Rods
                    Supertec Spline Drive Oil Gears/Drive
                    N1 water pump / N1 Oil Pump
                    Haltech Platnium Pro
                    AEM Water/Menthanol
                    Tomei FPR
                    Exedy Hyper Twin Clutch

May 9th, 2015 made 408whp @ 9PSI

Build Thread
                    http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gt-r-project-cars/62483-project-modworks-monster-r32-gtr-16.html

Comment

deleted.
                      Last edited by leung23c; 05-31-2015, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I have a race ATI damper for sale. It's the "up to 1000hp" version not the 500 hp.

Without the drysump the oiling system is always questionable.

Oh, are they blue printing your engine? Or just building it for you? I had a "professional" engine built by a bc shop that did what bel is doing and it lasted 1200 km. Just curious what assurance you have that you won't have another failure.
                        Last edited by Bruizer; 12-15-2014, 11:35 PM.
                        No build thread.
                        1991 nissan
                        El terror

Comment

deleted.
                          Last edited by leung23c; 05-31-2015, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Tune, bedding the engine in properly (would suggest this be done on a engine dyno, just like how the V6 R35 GTR engines are bed in at factory) plays a role in the engine staying together.

But with higher hp engines, race engines you would only expect 3000km from them before a routine rebuild is needed (doesn't matter if it's a V8 or straight 6) if driven hard all the time. If driven conservatively (occasional trackday but mainly road use), 100,000km is possible.

If the clearances are digitially set, bottomend weighed, balanced, crack tested, etc, then shouldn't have problems.

Upgrading the girdle setup to custom CNC crank caps, girdle plate, etc helps with harmonics that crack the block and strengthens the bottom of the block (also upgrading engine mounts which I think contribute to this failure). I believe this custom girdle setup idea is taken from the V6 (look at the V6 in the R35 GTR), V8 engines that have the lower half of the engine that's one piece. So it's nothing new, just adapted to another engine.
                            RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

They build my engine using all of their knowledge and skills and shop's capability. That's enough for me. They guarantee all of my clearances and machining and assembly will be absolutely perfect. They also have good reputation around the block.

But cant know for sure until it's built

Oh and they have one condition: I "must" tune the car at RCTS. So I won't inadverdently have someone cook my engine.
                              honestly, people get way to caught up in the most guaranteed and advanced way of building engines anyways. im building mine myself, honed it myself, checked clearances myself. only thing the machine shop has done is crank gears and a plain, because i dont have a lathe unfortunately.
                              1992 BNR32 Skyline
                              285hp / 220tq @ 15.5PSI On Mustang Dyno 2014-09-22

Current Build:
                              Precision 6264 Turbo 1.00A/R
                              Tomei PonCam Type B
                              Manley Titanium Valvetrain
                              CP Pistons / Manley Rods
                              Supertec Spline Drive Oil Gears/Drive
                              N1 water pump / N1 Oil Pump
                              Haltech Platnium Pro
                              AEM Water/Menthanol
                              Tomei FPR
                              Exedy Hyper Twin Clutch

May 9th, 2015 made 408whp @ 9PSI

Build Thread
                              http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gt-r-project-cars/62483-project-modworks-monster-r32-gtr-16.html

Comment

Working...
                              X