Modworks R32 Round 2. Beauty/Beast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modworks R32 Round 2. Beauty/Beast

So its pretty ugly out and the Miss' is out with friends, figured I'd start a build thread.

So after having some tough luck with my Rx7 Fd (fire loss... effin rotary) I decided to find myself another R32, #5 to be exact. After searching and searching, checking auctions, looking at cars from vancouver to halifax I was undecided on what to go with and wanted something already built, something I could just turn the key and enjoy, have lots of time for other stuff and not worry about having a project. Obviously my good friends at modworks wouldn't let that stand and they convinced me to buy a project.

So I've picked up a 1992 R32 GT-R. After looking for a while and debating between a few in montreal/toronto i decided to go with a oddly coloured blue one. (came with the following goodies)

Garret GT2860R -5's
    Haltec Platinum Pro
    Denso 285L pump
    Sumens 780cc injectors
    3 Bar Map sensor
    Tomei Expreme exhaust manifolds
    Mishimoto Rad
    Aem Wideband
    Apexi Exhaust with custom Ypipe from Rawtec montreal
    apexi intakes
    HKS turbo timer
    Spec stage 2+ clutch
    project M brake pads
    cusco adjustable pillow ball tension rods
    and a full sound system (not like thats important)

Pulled the trigger and loaded it on the trailer for the trip back to New Brunswick. The original plan with this car was to pull the motor, mild tuck, redo engine bay keep the twins and do an overall refresh on the motor. Body wise on the other hand was a complete restoration, this car has practically 0 rust, slight surface rust around back glass where it was not sealed correctly will be an easy sand blast fix.

After pulling it off the trailer a few ugly things were discovered, 3rd to 4th grinds awfully so a new tranny is in need, and the u joint is toast. all said and done this is a great starting project for an unreal car so now onto the build plans.

Completion Date Goal : September 25th 2015.

Body:

Complete restoration, every rubber, window seal, exterior piece will be replaced or refinished to a factory state with a show quality paint job.

Engine:

Full build, will update as the parts come in. this has turned into enough of a novel haha. pics to come soon!
    1989 Gts-T Sold

1992 GT-R Sold

1991 Gts-T Sold

1989 Gts-T Sold

1992 GT-R What did i get myself into again...

Congrats on the new car!
    Welcome to the best way to empty a bank account second to an airplane

Comment

Haha yea it's rapidly depleted my savings!

So a quick update, the motor has been pulled, stripped down and sent to the machine shop for a bore and cleaning, engine bay cleaned up and as much deleted/relocated as I could. When I get the block/head back from the engine shop I'll do a proper write up about everything done to it and what will be going back in (the fun stuff hehe).

As for now: Over the last couple weeks we tackled the body work. When going over the plans for this car we debated heavily on pulling all the glass to paint, after going back and forth I made the decision that I'm doing this car as if I will be keeping it for a long long time so we may as well do it 100% proper. After pulling the glass we noticed that there was a slight amount of surface rust from a previous window change that wasn't treated. Sand blasted every spec, treated with acid and than etch primer to be positive it won't be an issue going forward. Turns out it was a damn good thing we pulled the glass before it became a serious issue.

Aside from that small hick up the body work has gone quite well and the car is now in the paint booth! Just going over the final blocking and making sure there are no missed blemishes and we'll be going back to a beautiful BL0 (pewter blue). The engine bay has had some minor filling and clean up (mostly just spot welds) and will be going the same colour.

I'll post some nice update pics and a proper chronological order of pictures when I have some time, likely when there is snow on the ground and the work is done. For now it's off to bed and then to the shop!!

Cheers
      1989 Gts-T Sold

1992 GT-R Sold

1991 Gts-T Sold

1989 Gts-T Sold

1992 GT-R What did i get myself into again...

Comment

Working...
      X