This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simple 10 min clutch slave cyl. swap

this took 10 mins including lifting the car and dropping it. I had installed a nismo Clutch slave cylinder when I installed a new nismo twin clutch however I found out from a good source that it would be better to stay with the factory operating cylinder. anyways, the bleeding took only 2 tries since I didn't have to replace the nismo clutch line. As usual don't start work until it's cooled down, though I did it after 20 mins of driving and no warm spots or hot oil.
    The only tools you will need is a Jack, 2 jackstands for safety, 14mm combo wrench, 12 mm combo wrench and 8mm combo wrench.

Here's a pic of what it looks like for those that do not know. I removed the line before the unit so I could easily remove the line and not have to hold the unit as it was bolted tightly. It should only drip an ounce or so which you'll need a pan or something (forgot the pan in the pic!).

As a good reminder, always check what comes out for damage or unusual wear, and make sure it's the new part going in is the proper one. The only difference between the nismo unit and the OEM unit is the size. Nismo was 13/16th and OEM was 3/4. Word is the nismo unit is designed for Metal clutchs, so I didnt' not need it as mine was organic/copper.

It goes back in the same way. After wards you can pump the clutch to get the fluid moving, and get someone to hold it in while you bleed at the unit. Also you should bleed at the splitter afterwards if needed. Should take long since you won't lose much fluid. I used Penzoil DOT3 brake fluid.
    No build thread.
    1991 nissan
    El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Thanks for the 'How to' Bruizer.

Stickied!

Dan
    sigpic
    The Beaumont Connection

Comment

Hey bro is the nismo unit longer or just bigger. Im running an hks twin plate and it has an undisireable release point right in the middle of the pedal. Need to change my slave also.Thanx

Comment

Clutch operating cylinder

Originally posted by nismo-152 View Post
        Hey bro is the nismo unit longer or just bigger. Im running an hks twin plate and it has an undisireable release point right in the middle of the pedal. Need to change my slave also.Thanx

Well, I'm back to an OEM slave cylinder now and to be honnest there was no difference, just a bit heavier. The cylinder is bigger not longer. only by 1/16th bigger too. I know in my 5L rustang the clutch was cable operated so you could easily set the stiffness, height and what not. In a hydrolic system I'm not exactly sure. I do know there's adjustment screws above the pedal but I have yet to play with them. My pedal used to engage as soon as I lifted an inch off the floor, after 500km of the new clutch it now engages about halfway closer to further out. I don't mind it too much. You could ask Wingnut how he feels about his single plate puck type vs mine/his new set up. He would know something else?
        No build thread.
        1991 nissan
        El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Thanks bruiser. I apolagize for the for the severe delay on my reply.
          Im finding the clutch easier to regulate now. I do preffer a release point closer to the floor though. I've heard a longer slave will cure this on a twin.

Comment

if you want to change the feel of how heavy the clutch is, go from a 3/16" line to a 1/4", it will be softer, a trick commonly used in rally racing when using stupid heavy clutches and rediculously overkill brakes, the adapter can be picked up almost anywhere, so can the steel line

Comment

Thanks for the DIY, Just changed mine and the clutch feels great again!
              Heart rate 160, I'm goin 260, RB26 run me past you in a jiffy

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

Bump! I went with a Os giken twin plate and I wanted to swap my old cylinder for a new one. Can't make my mind between nismo or OEM. some peoples says the nismo will make the pedal softer, somes says it doesn't make any difference and finally some says that the pedal is as stiff but it's only the friction point that changes.

I don't want to waste 100$ for no reason.
                Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

Originally posted by cobrAA View Post
                  I don't want to waste 100$ for no reason.
                  Then the decision is made, don't do it. The benefits are minimal till you get a triple or quad metal clutch.
                  Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
                  Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
                  Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
                  Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
                  Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
                  White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
                  lol

Comment

Working...
                  X