R32 GTR brake rotor upgrade, FAIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R32 GTR brake rotor upgrade, FAIL

Ok, so have you seen the 350z track rotor upgrades for the 300zx and the 240sx?
    includes
    - 350z track rotors (12.75")
    - Adapter bracket for the caliper to accept the larger rotor.
    - Hardware.

Well I assumed this would fit my r32 gtr with out a problem, well i was wrong.
    Equipped w/ the bracket and 350z rotor the caliper will require about 5mm MORE offset to fit around the rotor.

does anyone else have experience with this?

I took the easy road and bought R32 specific brake kit but at the point you're at, talk to a machinist and maybe get the brackets modified or some type of spacer made up. What's you're into now isn't completely fail but some work needs to be done. Maybe check good skyline sites like SAU or GTROC and they may already have adapters for sale from 15 years ago lol.
    Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
    Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
    Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
    Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
    Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
    White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
    lol

Comment

what rotors are you using? who made your kit? any pics of your adapters?

this upgrade was a small investment. cost me about 250 dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer View Post
        what rotors are you using? who made your kit? any pics of your adapters?

this upgrade was a small investment. cost me about 250 dollars.
        Doesn't matter what I'm using, it's slows as good as stock but is read. As for the $250, that's cheap, you could probably fabricated something for less that $100 more.
        Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

Originally posted by NismoS-tune View Post
          Doesn't matter what I'm using, it's slows as good as stock but is read.
          It matters what you use, because it would help me. Please tell me what you used ?

If you have a larger rotor and the caliper is grabbing from farther away your brake force will be stronger, its like using a short wrench then upgrading to a longer wrench (you'll have more torque).
          obviously this upgrade will not be HUGE, but should be substantial in-conjunction with a better pad and rotor

Comment

Sadly, I don't know much about brakes however with larger diameter rotors but same calipers and pads, I can't see too much gain. Have you thought about some really good OEM sized rotors with Hawk pads? I'm sure you wouldn't notice too much difference with the 1" more/same rotor size..
            Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

Originally posted by NismoS-tune View Post
              Sadly, I don't know much about brakes however with larger diameter rotors but same calipers and pads, I can't see too much gain.
              ... Wut? its the same principal as using a larger wrench on a bolt... more torque
              did you really upgrade your brakes or are you just blabbering

Comment

Blabbering. But ya maybe talk with a machine/fab shop.
                Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

Lol,

Had the same problem when I upgraded my 240sx brake with 300zx brakes.
                  The stock 15" rims came in 2 versions, one with a small spacing in the
                  spoke that cleared the bigger caliper and the version that didn't, guess
                  wich one I had. Fortunitly I live about 2 steps from a home hardware, and
                  I don't give up easy. I wouldn't recommend it, but because I was stuck.
                  I basically used washers. lol Needed something to keep the car on the road
                  for a couple of day, till my next day off.

But you can buy spacers from a lot of different places, you can even buy
                  some at Canadian Tire. lol Can't remember if they where 25mm or 50 mm,
                  last time I checked in the back, but they had them in 4 and 5 bolts multi fit.
                  Can't remember the price, but it was pretty cheap too.

If you want to check at canadian tire, and the guy at the counter don't
                  know what your talking about, don't worry, it happen's. Just PM me and I can
                  give you a part # they can look up, and even the price. I work in the office
                  in a Canadian Tire, but I use to work at the parts counter.

Hope it helps.
                  J-F
                  14 VW Jetta TDI
                  05 Sentra SpecV - winter beater -
                  95 240sx (RB25DET powered)
                  95 240sx ( powered)
                  89 GTR - Money Pit -

Comment

Originally posted by collector240sx View Post
                    Lol,

Had the same problem when I upgraded my 240sx brake with 300zx brakes.
                    The stock 15" rims came in 2 versions, one with a small spacing in the
                    spoke that cleared the bigger caliper and the version that didn't, guess
                    wich one I had. Fortunitly I live about 2 steps from a home hardware, and
                    I don't give up easy. I wouldn't recommend it, but because I was stuck.
                    I basically used washers. lol Needed something to keep the car on the road
                    for a couple of day, till my next day off.

But you can buy spacers from a lot of different places, you can even buy
                    some at Canadian Tire. lol Can't remember if they where 25mm or 50 mm,
                    last time I checked in the back, but they had them in 4 and 5 bolts multi fit.
                    Can't remember the price, but it was pretty cheap too.

If you want to check at canadian tire, and the guy at the counter don't
                    know what your talking about, don't worry, it happen's. Just PM me and I can
                    give you a part # they can look up, and even the price. I work in the office
                    in a Canadian Tire, but I use to work at the parts counter.

Hope it helps.
                    J-F
                    WWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTT!!!!!!?!?!?!?! ?!?

I'm talking about a larger rotor, your talking about some whack OEM wheel

This thread SUCKS, you guys have no info and no idea what your talking about... its pretty frustrating,

Comment

... Wut? its the same principal as using a larger wrench on a bolt... more torque
                      did you really upgrade your brakes or are you just blabbering

Larger rotors dont really increase stopping power. They increase the ability to shed heat and there for resist fade better.

Leverage is very negligible due to the pressures the braking system is using on the rotor.

Comment

i preformed this on my 240 with ecr33 calipers.. the increase in stopping power was substantial, and i was using stock warn rotors and old pads. wasn't HUGE, but enough that I'm not hesitating to do it with my r32

Comment

This thread SUCKS, you guys have no info and no idea what your talking about... its pretty frustrating,
                          I agree. I hang out on GTRC, but I go to SAU or GTROC for serious knowledge since I have not memorized the car manual or all the threads. check one of those 2 and I'm pretty sure you'll find what your after. People are pretty nice there too
                          Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

People may be more inclined to help you if you are polite and respectful. Insulting the community here won't get you very far.

Comment

Ok, so have you seen the 350z track rotor upgrades for the 300zx and the 240sx?
                              includes
                              - 350z track rotors (12.75")
                              - Adapter bracket for the caliper to accept the larger rotor.
                              - Hardware.

Well I assumed this would fit my r32 gtr with out a problem, well i was wrong.
                              Equipped w/ the bracket and 350z rotor the caliper will require about 5mm MORE offset to fit around the rotor.

does anyone else have experience with this?
                              GTR brakes aren't the same as 300zx brakes. Sounds like the kit is meant for 300ZX brakes and you're using GTR calipers, I bet 300ZX calipers would line up correctly with the kit.
                              Brendan : Union Autoclub
                              '01 Audi A4 quattro - daily
                              '90 240SX Coupe - RB25
                              I had a Skyline once.

Comment

Working...
                              X