induction box vs intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• induction box vs intake

hey all i searched the forums and couldnt find much on what is better between an intake or the induction box. in fact to include all the options what about the shrooms from hks. im currently using apexi intakes but wondering about the arc super induction box. pros, cons? what do you recommend and anyone have experience with both?
    We produced with spartan air.

The HKS shroom filters don't filter very well. They're a pretty cheezy design. Your Apexi filters are prob one of the better "intakes". I really like those arc box's as well, its just filter replacement can be a problem. Would be nice to find one and mod it to fit a K&N (something I wanted to do a while back). I have one of the boxes and couldn't find the right size filter to drop right in without modification and I never really looked into buying a replacement from ARC. Def a baller status item to run the ARC box imo. But might be an idea to keep your Apexi pods and fab up a divider and bring in an air duct to the filter side.
    ALLEN PETERSEN
    Number (604) 961-2449
    4XTOYS/ Lower Mainland Skyline Service and aftermarket RB parts.
    RB30`s for sale!

Comment

I like your idea, Im going to put in a headlight intake with lights in it so that I can drive it on the street, think that would be enough air or should I still think about either the duct or box. Also I noticed that there wer4e two different types of boxes, one that replaces the filters and has two of its own as you were describing and another that seems to bolt on around the existing pods and channel air

Comment

Apexi or die: http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/
        My Apexi filter is at the border waiting for me, I can't believe I'm even running the HKS filter, thank god it came with the car and I didn't pay anything for it.

Best thing to do: Run cone filter->Build sheet metal box around filter to shield it from heat sink->run 4 inch hose with bellmouth from front bump up into SMIC piping hole under cone filter (Assuming you now have an fmic)

Comment

^ That's old. There a more recent test that shows 3A Racing filters are better.

I remember reading somewhere that the stock airbox is better since it doesn't suck as much hot air from the engine bay, and that gains from cone filters were only seen if the hood was open.
          R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
          http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

i have an arc induction box
            works pretty cool
            and looks baller

gotta find some filters for it
            you need 2 different filters

Comment

I switched from the HKS mushroom intakes to the ARC induction box and noticed a difference. Of course I have no data to back it up, but after switching the ARC intake felt like it provided more lower-end torque, but the HKS pods gave more upper-end power. The ARC box is also quieter than the HKS intakes (maybe an indication of better filtration?). The good thing about the HKS intakes was that it provided more space in the engine bay and is easy to install/uninstall. The ARC box was a pain in the ass to install.

Comment

The ARC box is pretty nice. I've heard some really good things on it. Honestly though, I'd keep the Apexi intakes and make an enclosure yourself. Essentially, some aluminum as a heatshield. Keeps your intake from sucking in hot engine air and gets cooler outside air instead. Or if you're super baller, make it out of Carbon Fiber like so

Originally posted by kengeroo
                that's what I thought when I opened the package..
                ...don't drink and ebay
                '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

I had the ARC box on my GTR. Pros: I powder coated it sandex black and it looked cool. Had very low air restriction. Cons: It was an older box designed for paper filter. The new sponge filters for the top didnt fit proper and would get sucked into the box. ARC sent me free of charge the old paper filters and support brackets.(Awesome Customer Service) The sponge filters do a terrible job of filtering. After a while there was tons of grit built up in the bottom of the box.

Switched to the Apexi Pods. I like them alot and they look good as well.
                  Last edited by Marke; 03-26-2011, 12:21 AM.
                  1989 Skyline GTR

"Want to Race? Save it for the track!"
                  www.victoriamotorsports.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Marke View Post
                    I had the ARC box on my GTR. Pros: I powder coated it sandex black and it looked cool. Had very low air restriction. Cons: It was an older box designed for paper filter. The new sponge filters for the top didnt fit proper and would get sucked into the box. ARC sent me free of charge the old paper filters and support brackets.(Awesome Customer Service) The sponge filters do a terrible job of filtering. After a while there was tons of grit built up in the bottom of the box.

Switched to the Apexi Pods. I like them alot and they look good as well.
                    think ill stick with the pods for now and fab up a divider if i can, theres two arc boxes, one with the two filters, and one thats basically a box but i think it would be blocking half the intake and it costs as much as the box with the filters so id prob be best with making my own that does a better job.

divider box ->

filter box ->

box named the arc super induction box for some reason, either they updated it or the named them both the same thing lol

Originally posted by Snake556 View Post
                    The ARC box is pretty nice. I've heard some really good things on it. Honestly though, I'd keep the Apexi intakes and make an enclosure yourself. Essentially, some aluminum as a heatshield. Keeps your intake from sucking in hot engine air and gets cooler outside air instead. Or if you're super baller, make it out of Carbon Fiber like so

sounds good ill see how it runs with the intake alone and possibly fab up a divider, that looks so boss

Originally posted by louis110 View Post
                    I switched from the HKS mushroom intakes to the ARC induction box and noticed a difference. Of course I have no data to back it up, but after switching the ARC intake felt like it provided more lower-end torque, but the HKS pods gave more upper-end power. The ARC box is also quieter than the HKS intakes (maybe an indication of better filtration?). The good thing about the HKS intakes was that it provided more space in the engine bay and is easy to install/uninstall. The ARC box was a pain in the ass to install.
                    worth it in the end?
                    Originally posted by MattRose View Post
                    Apexi or die: http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/
                    My Apexi filter is at the border waiting for me, I can't believe I'm even running the HKS filter, thank god it came with the car and I didn't pay anything for it.

Best thing to do: Run cone filter->Build sheet metal box around filter to shield it from heat sink->run 4 inch hose with bellmouth from front bump up into SMIC piping hole under cone filter (Assuming you now have an fmic)

Comment

and before you go saying that the chassis isnt a gtr, its listed as specifically for the gtr32.

found some gtr envy and had to post

Comment

Why is your car crying?

....lololololol
                        Originally posted by Paradis
                        ^^ hows not being rich going? ...haters be hatin

Comment

ARC has filed for bankruptcy and will not be shipping out any products. Even if you already have the ARC induction box, you won't be able to find any replacement filters for it in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by jangotat View Post
                            worth it in the end?
                            Yeah it's a nice upgrade over the HKS intakes, but aside from the bling factor, it's not very economical (replacement filters are expensive). Apex'i or 3A filters with a surround would probably be a great alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by narface View Post
                              ARC has filed for bankruptcy and will not be shipping out any products. Even if you already have the ARC induction box, you won't be able to find any replacement filters for it in the future.
                              I think he's right. Theyre going to be harder and harder to come by till they are all gone.

Id still "try" to mod it for a K&N flat filter to fit. Might not be worth the hassle.
                              ALLEN PETERSEN
                              Number (604) 961-2449
                              4XTOYS/ Lower Mainland Skyline Service and aftermarket RB parts.
                              RB30`s for sale!

Comment

Working...
                              X