AWD not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AWD not working

Just bought another GT-R to tide me over till my project one is finished.

The AWD isn't working in it.

I get code 11, 12, and 16 which all seem to be G-sensor related.

Anyone had these before and have any ideas? I think I might throw the G-sensor out of my other car into it and see if it changes anything, but I thought I'd ask on here too.
    1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag
    2000 Honda Insight - 70+mpg daily driver
    2003 Sierra 2500HD Diesel - Tow vehicle

Revival.

Is there any news to your issue? Before I left Bathurst, I took the GTR out and when I parked myself and restarted her the AWD had shut down (ABS and AWD lights on). Attesa is showing code 11 only. No clue to what happened. Just before, I was idling and I had one or two nudges from the drivetrain, like clunks coming from the middle of the chassis, as if the system was in some kind of diagnostic. I didn't check if the gauge was splitting the power right afterwards but I had no AWD warning light (until the restart).

I hadn't touched the system since I've gotten her and the fluid tank is full.
    1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

You could just check to see if the wires connecting to the g sensors are alright. it only takes like 5 mins to get to the sensor.
      NEPTUNE OPTIMUS MAXIMUS

Comment

What would of made it disconnect? Where is the "Fore and aft G sensor" and what should I look for? (edit: I'm asking because the manual's pictures are crap for those sensors, it's just black on black with shades of grey)

Could of taking a mallet to the hubs to make the old rotors give way cause this?
        Last edited by MarusGTR; 05-24-2011, 10:37 PM.
        1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

lol I doubt that hitting the hubs did anything to the g sensors, but maybe it would do something to the wheel speed sensors, the g sensor in under the center console. Just check for anything out of the ordinary. Like terrh said the problem might be the g sensor it self. But you said the abs light also came on so I would double check the ets for any other codes.

you can see a picture of the sensors here:
          NEPTUNE OPTIMUS MAXIMUS

Comment

Originally posted by NeptuneGTR View Post
            lol I doubt that hitting the hubs did anything to the g sensors, but maybe it would do something to the wheel speed sensors, the g sensor in under the center console. Just check for anything out of the ordinary. Like terrh said the problem might be the g sensor it self. But you said the abs light also came on so I would double check the ets for any other codes.

you can see a picture of the sensors here:
            http://autospeed.com/A_107753/cms/article.html
            At first I thought it was a speed sensor because those rotors were fused like a mother and the ETS and ABS use the speed sensor.

The ETS only gives a code 11 when the engine runs, with the ABS and AWD lights on. (edit, note: the manual says that you get an ABS and 4WAS light for code 11, is WAS HICAS?). If it's G sensor, I have no clue where I'm going to find one for cheap, or how it broke. I really want to know why so that it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for your tip btw. If I refer to the vague picture in the link, by center console you meant the trim between the seats?
            Last edited by MarusGTR; 05-25-2011, 08:31 AM.
            1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

BAMP.

I'm asking all these questions because I'm in Moncton and I only have a couple weeks leave in June to fix everything, so I need to be ready with parts and a game plan for when I get to her.

I was also wondering, if I can't resolve the problem in time, can I drive in 2WD for an extended period of time? Or will the AWD suffer from the 'use it or lose it' syndrome?
              1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Yea its between the front seats behind the parking brake. You can drive all day long in RWD mode, doesn't affect anything.

Does you'r car still have abs?
                NEPTUNE OPTIMUS MAXIMUS

Comment

Originally posted by NeptuneGTR View Post
                  Yea its between the front seats behind the parking brake. You can drive all day long in RWD mode, doesn't affect anything.

Does you'r car still have abs?
                  Good question, light's on but I'm not sure if the ABS is truly off. I low-speed tested the brakes while the light was on, but to test the AMS disks, not the ABS. I didn't skid with my winter tires (old wheels) which would normaly squeal all the way to third with a light blip of the throttle in RWD. I'd have to try some harder braking to be positive about the ABS.
                  1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

I haven't fixed mine. Or even driven it since my 10 day expired. Mostly, due to laziness, but partly because my DSM is faster. Sad, but true.
                    1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag
                    2000 Honda Insight - 70+mpg daily driver
                    2003 Sierra 2500HD Diesel - Tow vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by Terrh View Post
                      Sad, but true.
                      WTF LOL! Sorry that I jacked your thread btw.
                      1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

my AWD also didnt working, even ABS, well it's what my car tells me.
                        the error code is 16, so G-Sensor or Circuit, i am not sure but i guess it's ABS pump or so? everythin was fine, just let the car still run about a min be4 i turned off and next morning there was that issue, i checked G-Sensor and it seem to be allright, fuel tank is also all right, it most appear in the morning and disappear when it's gettin warmer outside, if it appear sometimes i just need to knock a lil on my abs system in the engine bay and than it seem to work (if i turn the ignition on i can hear if it's workin or not, it's louder than normal than but if it's workin and i turn ignition on it's not that loud) so what exactly could it be?
                        the turbo lag is just the anticipation of the boost pressure

Comment

Originally posted by FLYSKY View Post
                          my AWD also didnt working, even ABS, well it's what my car tells me.
                          the error code is 16, so G-Sensor or Circuit, i am not sure but i guess it's ABS pump or so? everythin was fine, just let the car still run about a min be4 i turned off and next morning there was that issue, i checked G-Sensor and it seem to be allright, fuel tank is also all right, it most appear in the morning and disappear when it's gettin warmer outside, if it appear sometimes i just need to knock a lil on my abs system in the engine bay and than it seem to work (if i turn the ignition on i can hear if it's workin or not, it's louder than normal than but if it's workin and i turn ignition on it's not that loud) so what exactly could it be?
                          If it's sometimes on, sometimes off depending on temperature, could it be electrical? If you nudge the abs module and it works, maybe there's a possiblity that there's a loose connector?
                          1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

maybe the relay? one time i've just took it out and placed it back and it worked again but that also not always helps
                            the turbo lag is just the anticipation of the boost pressure

Comment

I have to start my car twice to get my 4wd to work every time i start it anyone know why

Comment

Working...
                              X