Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomei M7655 turbo install

So just want some input here.

Just got my tomei M7655 kit and had a good read of the instructions, not the easiest to understand but i have a few questions.

The install guide instructs the removal of the water outlet on the block that has 2 outlets (one to each turbo) and replaces it with 1 fitting to run 1 line.

From what I can make out , it converts the coolant distribution from the block into the rear turbo , out and then directly into the front turbo before sending it out to the regular line route for return.

I don't mean to question Tomei's wisdom on this but isn't it bad for the front turbo to be fed hot coolant from the rear turbo ? surely the original individual feed for each turbo would seem more sensible.

Of course i may be wrong , it's been a long week , but check the pdf on tomeis website out and see what you think if you have a few minutes , i'd appreciate it

http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/manuals/pdf/arms_rb26.pdf

Cheers

I would agree with you Paul. It seems to me you would want to keep the individual coolingf or each turbo.
    1995 R33 GTR Vspec - Sold
    2004 Dodge SRT-4 Stage 3R - Sold
    2013 Subaru WRX STI - Where is the power? - Daily

Comment

Going to throw caution to the wind and install them as per tomei's info. If they over heat and screw up it'll be tomeis fault and then they can replace them for another new set

Comment

I think the primary cooling of most turbos is done by the oil, with water just as an extra measure to further enhance durability.

Here is a snippet from Garrett's site about why water cooling was introduced. Basically it is to help prevent oil coking after engine shutdown.

"To minimize the effects of heat soak-back, water-cooled center housings were introduced. These use coolant from the engine to act as a heat sink after engine shutdown, preventing the oil from coking. The water lines utilize a thermal siphon effect to reduce the peak heat soak-back temperature after engine shut down . The layout of the pipes should minimize peaks and troughs with the (cool) water inlet on the low side. To help this along, it is advantageous to tilt the turbocharger about 25° about the axis of shaft rotation."

Comment

btw how much did that kit cost? looks really nice

Comment

Very interesteing piece of info , thanks

Kit was just over $3k inc at right drive , daryl and mike gave me a great deal because they knew it would take a long time for me to install this and that means they have peace and quiet for a while before im back again bugging for more parts
            Last edited by cortexx; 06-20-2011, 12:51 PM.

Comment

lol

that sounds like a good deal, I have been thinking about getting some gt2859r (garrett 707160-9) but it would be nice to get a full bolt on kit instead of having to piece everything together, and 3k isnt that much more than the 1200 a piece for the 2859s.

Would love to hear how they work out for you once you get it all setup!
              Last edited by MikeyRHD; 06-20-2011, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I'm going to do step by step install for the kit on my build thread including the greddy suction intake kit thats going in at the same time. Depending on patience of course

Comment

Originally posted by cortexx View Post
                  I'm going to do step by step install for the kit on my build thread including the greddy suction intake kit thats going in at the same time. Depending on patience of course
                  Awesome, can't wait to see this! I just emailed Daryl about turbos roughly 30 minutes ago.

I know you haven't done much yet, but what are you feelings regarding the kit so far? Fairly well built? Good quality components? Hopefully easy(ish) to install? (as easy as turbos can be, at least).

Thanks!
                  BlackAura (Kevin)
                  1995 ZX600C8 Kawasaki Ninja 600R - FOR SALE - See Marketplace
                  2003 Wrangler Jeep TJ Rubicon
                  1991 BNR32 Nissan Skyline GT-R - Sold

Comment

Can't wait to see it all installed! These are the turbos I've been leaning towards but there doesn't seem to be too much info about them out there yet..

Comment

I have them all installed , just got back from limey land and picked up the 5/8 inch aluminium spacer i needed fabbed to install the front GReddy suction pipe and i'll be good , gotta get it running for the skymeet

Comment

Working...
                      X