TTBB R34 GTR Brembo upgrade on R32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TTBB R34 GTR Brembo upgrade on R32

Hi everyone, I was fortunate enough to get a hold of a complete set of R34 GTR Brembo V.spec brakes! My original idea was to buy an STI or an EVO caliper, adapter brackets some kinda brake line conversions (braded lines) and hope that Evo rotors will be precise fitment! I never went with that idea just because calipers alone were costing too much and I never seen them around for a good price! Im also VERY GLAD that i went with R34 GTR calipers vs other Brembo caliper and I will explain why later on in the thread. I will start from the back, just like I did on my car!

Here is few threads that I was looking at while considering my brake upgrade:

STi Brembos on GTR

Ctsv Brembos. Anyone tried?

Below is a comparison of R34 regular caliper and R34 V.spec caliper:

No matter how hard i looked i coudn't find an answer how V.spec uses 322 rotors, some say they have different spindle some that they have different caliper some people say that both of this items is different!
    You can see how the mounting holes distance is identical, along with holes diameter (I did check it on my R32 spindle and they do fit, Identical, interchangeable with no modifications) so they are all interchangeable on any "R" spindle. The difference is in the caliper "height" if you wish. Pads are the same so is the line threading on the caliper.

R34 on R32 spindle

R34 V.spec on R32 Spindle

R34 V.spec rotor dimension is 322x30mm (On the Left) and R34 Rotor is 300x30mm (On the Right). The V.spec rear rotors suppose to be almost identical to a Z33 Brembo package rear rotors, but I CANT confirm this because my rotors were in practically brand new shape so I didn't have to order new ones.

Comparison Between R32 and R34 rotor:

Comparison Between R32 and R34 V.spec rotor:

R34 and R34 V.spec calipers bolted down by 10mm bolts with 17mm head compare to 10mm with 14mm head on R32 (last one one the right)

In order to fit larger rotors (not sure if you have to do it if you are using regular R34 brakes) you have to cut dust shield edge, and to make it pretty shave all the sharp edges! Also, adjust E-Brake to a new rotors.

Here is comparison of R32 to a V.spec caliper

In order to make it fit on the stock R32 GTR lines you have to use stock R32 brake line support braket

You will have to redrill it to make it work on Brembo caliper:

Do this on both side and you will have upgraded Brembo brakes in the rear!)))
    TTBB is a true ACN member

Now to the fronts!

Front rotors were a bit worn so I decided to order some new ones. I ordered R33 GTR (Identical to R34 GTR) rotors from Daryl @ RightDrive, his prices is very good and they have Canadian stock which means there is no wait for delivery. Here is their web site - Right Drive Parts

Here is comparison of R34 to R32 GTR Calipers

In order to fit R34 calipers onto r32 you have to drill spindle caliper holes for 14mm bolts, R34 uses 14mm compare to 12mm on R32

Just like rears, you will have to cut dust shield lip around and make it pretty with no sharp edges

Now you have to mock up caliper and bend stock line to fit/work on R34 caliper, this process is very time consuming. I used channellock pliers and a rag to do this.

Here is comparison of R34 and R32 rotor

Once you do that you can put everything together.
    ***(No final project picture here, will have to make one some point in the future)

Lastly you have to bleed the system. For the brake fluid, I used BG Dot 4 fluid.

I would also like to mention that you have to have or use some kind of 17" rims, and I think not every 17" rim will work with R33/R34 Brembo caliper.
    My stock front calipers were very close to the spokes of my 17" Impul RS rims.

Im very glad I Did used R34 Calipers as a conversion, because if I did went with Sti or any other conversion i would most likely had to use spacers or get myself a set of different rims. Here is space thickness between rim and stock vs R34 Brembo caliper

You can see that R34 GTR caliper is only 1.34mm fruther out towards the spokes then R32 caliper, and im very lucky here!)))
    Last edited by tryingtobebest; 04-28-2014, 11:35 PM.

Comment

This post is taken for future references, updates, pictures and maybe a question that i might be asked in this thread. I might include final view of the project in this post!

Comment

Great write up! Its interesting though as i just did a 33 gtr brembo upgrade a few months ago and i didnt have to redrill my front spindles to accommodate the larger mounting bolts. Maybe a previous owner already did kind of doubt it though.
        1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

Does the pedal have the same feel?

Comment

Only need to drill the hub for r34 brakes, as they use larger mounting bolts.

Nice write up by the way!

Comment

^ Thanks, and pedal have same feeling but the only thing is I didn't drove the car hard yet, but did few in a row continuous racing condition/emergency stops and they DO act like a better brakes! Since didn't drove car much, I dont have feel if brake bias is right!
              Also, calipers came with BREMBO brake pads, which I never heard of and their initial/cold bite is a bit on a low side to my liking!
              Im deciding between Akebono, Hawk HP and EBC Blue pads to try next.

PS: I don't know why "FORUM" is cutting out 5 - 10 % of the right side of every picture!
              Last edited by tryingtobebest; 04-29-2014, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X