R32 RB26 engine removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R32 RB26 engine removal

I started preparations to pull my motor today and I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge of how feasable it is to drop the whole front subframe engine and all vs. pulling out with an engine puller.
    Thanks for any info.

It's doable yes. That's how they do it often on SAU.

much easier than engine and tranny at the same time and less risks.
    No build thread.
    1991 nissan
    El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

I tried doing a random search to see if anything came up without any luck.
      I'll check our SAU and see what I can find.
      Thanks "Bruizer".

Comment

It's often done on show cars when they don't want to damage the paint (I think common in the US). They use a hoist, crate to sit engine, trans on. They tape cardboard onto the strut towers, engine to protect the paint from getting damaged.

Also you'll have to remove aircon pump from engine (leave the pump connected to the hoses, or will have to get the aircon system gas evacuated before removing the hoses), subframe bolts, brake lines, steering rack mounting bolts, left and right upper arms on chassis side (nuts on inside of strut towers facing the firewall in the engine bay), drain radiator, remove radiator hoses, remove radiator, rear trans mounting bolts, mounting bolts for engine mounts, remove propshaft bolts on diffhead side, hanger bearing bolts for propshaft, speedo cable and other cables in the same area, unplug wiring loom to engine, earths to chassis on exhaust side (usually one off the turbo), I think intake side earths. Also can drain the fluids to make trans, engine lighter.

Might have missed a few things around the transmission area, but they should be obvious via visual observation.
        Last edited by Skym; 12-07-2014, 05:31 PM.
        RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

I've got a hoist and required tools. I've got a clear picture on what has to be removed/disconnected plus another member on here to help who has had his motor out a few times.
          I was just curious to know if anyone has dropped the motor/subframe before and ran into any unusual problems or had any input.

As always Skym your input is appreciated.

Comment

Have to get a alignment done after putting the subframe, etc back into car. From what I understand, that's one of the reasons why most pull engine, trans out as one piece.
            RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

I'm replacing the front inner and outer tie rods ends and adjustable FUCAs so an alignment will be getting done anyway.
              Also rear subframe is getting dropped to remove the diff. I intend on installing a Quaife LSD. By the time the car is all put back together the alignment will be right out to lunch.

Comment

Bobbo, I pulled mine without tranny form the top. Wasnt too bad, mounts were a prick to get out of the way, but it was my first time pullin an RB too
                1992 BNR32 Skyline
                285hp / 220tq @ 15.5PSI On Mustang Dyno 2014-09-22

Current Build:
                Precision 6264 Turbo 1.00A/R
                Tomei PonCam Type B
                Manley Titanium Valvetrain
                CP Pistons / Manley Rods
                Supertec Spline Drive Oil Gears/Drive
                N1 water pump / N1 Oil Pump
                Haltech Platnium Pro
                AEM Water/Menthanol
                Tomei FPR
                Exedy Hyper Twin Clutch

May 9th, 2015 made 408whp @ 9PSI

Build Thread
                http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gt-r-project-cars/62483-project-modworks-monster-r32-gtr-16.html

Comment

As Skym mentioned I suspect there would be less of a chance of damage. Also my garage is kinda short so I think lifting the body off of the subframe might be easier. We'll see.

Comment

I've done this before at the dealership. What you want to do is hoist the car to a low/mid point and place the subframe/tranny on whatever your going to rest it on (we used a hydraulic hoist table) but pallets or tires etc will work. Unbolt the the struts from the tower (body) and the control arms from the body (non-eccentric bolt ends) drop the entire engine/tranny/suspension as one. In your case you may have to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds to clear the frame rails but you'll figure what you need to take off as you start lifting the body off the engine. Once your cleared you can remove the engine and mount it on a stand. With that method you won't have to do an alignment and the least parts re&re'd
                    “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

That's right, turbo's, etc are removed (usually with bigger aftermarket turbo's).
                      RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Originally posted by caliber676 View Post
                        I've done this before at the dealership. What you want to do is hoist the car to a low/mid point and place the subframe/tranny on whatever your going to rest it on (we used a hydraulic hoist table) but pallets or tires etc will work. Unbolt the the struts from the tower (body) and the control arms from the body (non-eccentric bolt ends) drop the entire engine/tranny/suspension as one. In your case you may have to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds to clear the frame rails but you'll figure what you need to take off as you start lifting the body off the engine. Once your cleared you can remove the engine and mount it on a stand. With that method you won't have to do an alignment and the least parts re&re'd
                        I intended on setting the assembly on 4 axle stands.
                        I plan to try to drop the motor with the I/M and turbos in place. Based on how difficult the turbos are to remove with the engine in I'm sure Nissan installed everything assembled. I've got R34 N1 turbos so they're basically the same size as the originals.

How does the car balance with the front subframe/engine removed? I suspect it'll be ok as the front is quite a bit heavier than the rear end. If there is a suspected issue I'll drop the rear subframe first.

Comment

In your case you don't have a table hoist so you'll have to lift the car off the engine assembly. I would suggest possibly doing both at the same time if you have enough eyes but if you have a tall support stand you can position it under the rear subframe/diff and adjust as your going up with the body. Realistically your going to be raising the hoist up very slowly, it's not going to be a one shot deal. I would advise to rest the subframe on a pallet, jackstands seem like a good idea but in reality it's a lot more likely to shift and drop than a flat surface.

If you really want to make things easy you can stop by princess auto and get a 1-2ton lifting cart where the platform can be jacked up or down much like a pallet jack. Just return it when your done, they have an open return policy.
                          “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Hey Rob,

Sounds like you already have a solid plan in place and I can't really add anything useful other than supporting your idea to take it out from the bottom. I've removed my engine/tranny out the top 3 times and it's definitely not ideal; no matter how gentle you try to be it's a tight fit and you will end up scratching paint or worse.

Keep us updated on how you make out. I am very curious to see if you run in to any snags along the way. Hopefully you don't. Good luck!

Comment

Best part of my first engine pull was the fact that it started the never ending rebuilds cycle.

I say rent a $50 engine hoist and pull it out the top like 90% of the world over the last 25 years.
                              No build thread.
                              1991 nissan
                              El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Working...
                              X