No announcement yet.

Rebuilt motor, first startup I've got a strang noise help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^That's a good possibility , should pull the covers off and check for scoring

Comment

Alright so I removed the timing cover and the belt is perfectly fine no wear or anything, also the idler and tensioner appear to be good aswell.

With the stethoscope the sound seems to be coming from the FPR area of the engine.

I hooked up my consult cable and checked for codes and I get a knock sensor everytime I start the motor (code 34).

Tomorrow evening I will be looking into that and quite possibly removing the valve covers to look at the cam covers, because that could easily be a possibility.

Comment

Galling aluminum makes a pretty nasty sound as well. You should have hear the cap bolts when we pulled the stock cams out on FunnyGas's RB20. Pulled the threads out of a few of them, the rest sounded like your noise.

Jon.
        Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Alright guys..sorry for the delays on a updated post been real busy. The noise continues

Just re checked the cam caps and retorqued them all to proper value, cleaned the IAC, blow off valves, intercooler and all the associated piping, MAF sensors, checked the timing belt and associated components and they're all fine. Checked all the clamps on the entire engine and they're all tight aswell.

The noise is coming from the front right of the motor right by the fuel pressure regulator, it disappears if you rev the engine up to 4k RPM. I also have to keep my foot on the gas in order to keep it running, once it is warm it somewhat idles on its own but it bounces alot.

Could a bad intake manifold gasket cause this? I used a new one but you never know :\

What about a bad injector?

I'm getting to the gasoline and a match stage of things lol

Comment

Fuel pressure regulators can make some goofy noises if they are on their way out.

Jon.
            Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon Humper View Post
              Fuel pressure regulators can make some goofy noises if they are on their way out.

Jon.
              Tried a known good fpr and still doing the same.

Found one of my fuel injectors was cracked inside of the head like one of the plastic bottoms was stuck inside head.

Also two other o-rings were leaking. Could this cause noise like that?

Comment

No injectors wont cause that noise. As dumb as it sounds, is the metal piece behind lower timing belt gear (shim) on backwards?

Comment

So I brought the injectors in and apparently 3 of 6 were completely plugged and not allowing any flow through. Could this possibly be the cause? I am getting new orings and some injectors Wednesday. I hope this works.

Comment

Examine your timing belt please! you'd be pretty pissed if the belt is getting chewed up and this thing jumps the timing.
                    1989 Gts-T Sold

1992 GT-R Sold

1991 Gts-T Sold

1989 Gts-T Sold

1992 GT-R What did i get myself into again...

Comment

Take all the belts off to exclude the accessories. If it still makes noise then you know for sure that it is engine related. Hook up a battery charger to keep it up and let the motor run with nothing to take your fingers off (leave the belts off). Stick your head into every nook and cranny you can get it into with the car lifted up high enough to do it from underneath and tey to pin point it. You can hear much more with out all the pulley noises and the fan sucking. Check that CAS too, mine made noises and that was what was causing my high end breakup.

Jon.

Comment

Have you ever figured out the problem? I have the same issue now.

Comment

By the way, here is the video
                          Last edited by xcye; 06-27-2017, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Mine was a intake gasket leak. Take some carb cleaner to your intake and if it goes away you found your spot.

Comment

Working...
                            X