500 hp gtst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500 hp gtst

Hey everyone, im wanting to find out things that i would need to do to my engine/transmision to create a 450-500hp gtst. I am trying to go for both power and semi reliability.

A couple things i would like to have are a top mount turbo manifold, and a front facing intake plenum (makes the engine bay look alot nicer)
    And a turbo with very minimal lag

if you guys could help with a list of things that would need to be done, along with approximate prices, that would be much appreciated.

rb25 + GT35 + supporting mods. Your looking around 10-15 K I would say. Depending on your sources
    03 lancer dead
    68 gmc w/355 cid rice killer
    05 chevy silverado L33
    2010 crv Wife's ride
    1987 Harley Softail custom

Comment

If RB20DET, 400hp is enough for street use and limit of stock gearbox -

Short drive in a newly purchaces HCR32. Fitted with small single, fuel system and so much more. Should be a Kelowna BC sleeper!

For 450-500hp, copy BigRed -

Wild laps of Sandown Raceway in my BIG RED R32 skyline GTSt. RB25 280kw High Def.Find out more about this car on Big Red Racing facebook page facebook/teambi...

Bigred has around 547hp at engine with RB25DET engine, RB25DET gearbox, GT3540 turbo, etc in R32 GTS-T chassis -

R32 Nissan Skyline wide body dyno run. RB25DET Garret GT3540. 360kw at the wheels at 8500rpm.

Search with "Adz32", "Bigred" on SAU forum, as should have the list of mods.

If going that far, best to buy a R33 25T with RB25DET engine, drivetrain as stock equipment and build that up to 450hp-500hp.

For around 466hp at engine (17psi??) on stock RB25DET engine, full boost at just over 3500rpm -

GT3076R turbo on stock exhaust manifold with internal wastegate exhaust housing (56Trim, anti-surge compressor cover, Garrett GT30 .82 a/r turbine housing), custom 3" dumppipe
      Custom hard pipe intake pipe with silicon hose joiners, worm drive clamps, podfilter
      600x300x76mm FMIC
      3inch dumppipe, front pipe into 3.5 catback exhaust
      Aftermarket BOV (Synapse, HKS, etc)
      550cc Deatchwerks injectors
      255lph Nismo fuelpump
      Link G4 ECU, IAT sensor, boostcontrol solenoid, ViPEC ECU, PowerFC, etc
      Upgraded Clutch (Excedy Sports Tuff HD clutch, Nismo single plate clutch + Nismo flywheel, etc)

Turbo can be bought from ATP turbo -

Advanced Tuning Products or ATP Turbo offers aftermarket turbo solutions and engine tuning accessories for high performance cars.

Deatchwerks injectors -

Last edited by Skym; 11-22-2010, 10:29 AM.
      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

I did the following to my gtst to make that power. I went big on the bolt on in hopes to play with internals one day.

Stock rb25DETT s1 motor swap with rb25 trans
        arp head studs w/ stock replacement head gasket.
        walbro 255l fuel pump
        sard fuel pressure regulator
        godspeed topfeed fuel rail conversion
        rc racing 550 cc injectors
        shimmed rear diff
        holset hx35 turbo
        godspeed top mount manifold
        tial 38mm waste gate
        custom 3" exhaust
        z32 MAF
        Tomie Timing belt
        N1 oil pump
        front mount with 3" pipe
        q45 throttle body
        godspeed side mount plenum
        yellowjacket coils
        think thats all of it. maybe a few other insignificant bolt ons.

on the dyno made 380rwhp at 18 pounds of boost. Since the dyno added another 2 degrees of timing, water meth, and 3 more pounds of boost. Making around 430ish rwhp approx.

Been running her for 2 summers now no issues at all.

Comment

I would prefer to stick with my rb20, with that being said it looks like 400 hp is more achievable. If you guys could help me with a list of things that would need to be done to make this 400hp goal possible, or if you could point me to some people who have done it using the rb20 engine. thanks in advance

Comment

find everything i listed above as mods, plus this list
            decent sized cam, possibly solid lifter conversion
            race port,
            forged pistons and rods,
            arp every nut and bolt
            high flow oil pump
            acl race bearings,
            if you really want to get crazy get a 2.4L stroker kit for the bottom end

think that would do it? Anyone else add?

The amount of money you will spend on bolt ons and internals you can buy an rb25 full swap and all the same bolts ons i did. I've gone through the list before i did my swap. Rb25 is far better bang for buck with much more potential
            Last edited by BrianV8; 11-22-2010, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by all-Canadian11 View Post
              Hey everyone, im wanting to find out things that i would need to do to my engine/transmision to create a 450-500hp gtst. I am trying to go for both power and semi reliability.

A couple things i would like to have are a top mount turbo manifold, and a front facing intake plenum (makes the engine bay look alot nicer)
              And a turbo with very minimal lag

if you guys could help with a list of things that would need to be done, along with approximate prices, that would be much appreciated.
              On an rb20, forget it.

Rb25, you will need a turbo that flows at least around 58lb/min(give or take, some quick math here). You want 500whp, you will have to deal with some lag. Want minimal lag buy a billet wheel ball bearing turbo.

Semi reliability - pistons/bearings/headstuds/oil mods at a minimum IMO. The ringlands on the 25 aren't very strong they are the first thing I would upgrade.

A list of what I would do:

Engine bearings
              Forged pistons
              Head oil feed restrictor mid/rear feeds
              Intake plenum
              Inspect oil pump/snout service as nessecary
              Minor head work, tomei poncams(springs/retainers good idea as well)
              Lovefab/Neukin/Greddy/FullRace/6boost manifold
              Borg warner 83-75. Smaller comp inducer than a 35r but flows more
              44mm + wastegate
              Bosch 044 in-tank fuel pump
              740+cc injectors + FPR to suit
              Standalone ECU (no piggybacks) with a good tune. Run speed density to make life easier.
              Addressing ignition, new OEM coils with a kenne bell boost-a-spark
              Drivetrain you will need an rb25 trans. Need a clutch to hold the power. OS giken/ACT/whatever

Seriously, don't cheap out. I've learned the hard way enough times to know this now.

Comment

Originally posted by Zacho View Post
                On an rb20, forget it.

Rb25, you will need a turbo that flows at least around 58lb/min(give or take, some quick math here). You want 500whp, you will have to deal with some lag. Want minimal lag buy a billet wheel ball bearing turbo.

Semi reliability - pistons/bearings/headstuds/oil mods at a minimum IMO. The ringlands on the 25 aren't very strong they are the first thing I would upgrade.

A list of what I would do:

Engine bearings
                Forged pistons
                Head oil feed restrictor mid/rear feeds
                Intake plenum
                Inspect oil pump/snout service as nessecary
                Minor head work, tomei poncams(springs/retainers good idea as well)
                Lovefab/Neukin/Greddy/FullRace/6boost manifold
                Borg warner 83-75. Smaller comp inducer than a 35r but flows more
                44mm + wastegate
                Bosch 044 in-tank fuel pump
                740+cc injectors + FPR to suit
                Standalone ECU (no piggybacks) with a good tune. Run speed density to make life easier.
                Addressing ignition, new OEM coils with a kenne bell boost-a-spark
                Drivetrain you will need an rb25 trans. Need a clutch to hold the power. OS giken/ACT/whatever

Seriously, don't cheap out. I've learned the hard way enough times to know this now.
                Two thumbs up rb25 FTW

Comment

RB20 can do 500HP but the problem will be lag and reliability.

Not impossible, but not recommended.

When I do a swap I'll just go with a V8. (Nissan or Toyota V8)

Comment

for and rb20.Get your hands on some RB26 rods,cranks shaft and 4ag pistons.Doesn't take to much at all.
                    For a rb25 get in touch with with this guy.
                    Great guy and is pushing those numbers on pump gas
                    You Love Japan and Japan hates you.Fck JDM

Comment

R32 RB20DET is fairly simple for 400hp at engine -

Tomei Poncams
                      Tomei 80.5mm bore, 1.2mm metal headgasket
                      ARP head studs
                      Nissan repair gasket kit
                      New Coolant, New cambelt, New idle + tensioner bearings, new waterpump, liquid gasket, new mounting bolts for bearings
                      HKS GTRS turbo + HKS internal wastegate actuator or GT2871R with Ford T3 exhaust housing + swinggate assembly, which I think is Garrett equivalent to GTRS turbo.
                      HDI tube N fin FMIC
                      HKS or Blitz boost controller
                      Custom intake pipe to turbo, custom 3" dumppipe off back of turbo, custom intercooler piping
                      Custom oil, water feed to turbo
                      Apexi podfilter
                      Full 3" exhaust
                      Nistune for stock ECU + Nistune individual tuning software license + Consult cable
                      Z32 MAF + tail (MAF plug, bit of wiring off plug)
                      Deatchwerks 550cc injectors
                      Nismo 255lph fuelpump
                      Engine oilcooler, (Setrab oilcooler core, Mocal sandwich plates)
                      Upgraded Excedy or similar Nismo clutch with Nismo lightened flywheel

GTRS turbo is capable of producing up to around 375rwhp (UK hp) on dyno if you push it. But should be happy enough producing up to 400hp at engine on a daily basis with high boost setting. Low boost setting should produce less rwhp, as might struggle for traction with 400hp at engine and stock radiator might not be good enough on hot days (summer). Then use high boost setting for overtaking.

Also don't forget brake upgrade with super dot 4 600+ boiling point brake fluid, new low temp street spec brake pads (rotors if car needs them) on all 4 wheels and basic suspension upgrade. Also might want to look at wider rear tyres / rims to help with traction. Nismo Lowtemp thermostat, upgraded radiator shouldn't be needed on a street spec car. But if coolant temps start to rise too high on hot day when pushing car in safe environment, like a racetrack, upgrade them.
                      Last edited by Skym; 11-23-2010, 06:58 AM.
                      RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

What do you guys think the max hp I can run on my engine tomei 2.2 big bore kit with acl and arp everything, steel hg and all supporting mods?

tomei kit came with titanium coated rings btw

Comment

Klys on GTRC has already extracted around 355rwhp (at around 16psi) with rebuilt HKS GT2535 turbo with Tomei 2.2 litre RB20DET engine. Full 16psi at around 4000rpm. Stock cams, head, intake, exhaust manifolds, etc.
                          Last edited by Skym; 11-23-2010, 07:24 AM.
                          RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Like I have 340RWHP w/ stock rb20 and GT3071R.

I havent even touched cams yet.

Comment

There's another example ^^^^^.

With Poncams, retune, can extract around an extra 24rwhp at same boost level. So probably around 365rwhp for your cars RB20DET with Poncams, without touching boost level. Even more hp if you play with cam timing. Also don't lose much hp down low with Poncams, like you do with more aggressive cams on RB20DET. I noticed after I was told this, the more aggressive the cam, the more it has a cross bow look to powercurve at bottomend.

RB20DET in link below has Poncams, small single turbo, etc. But I think he concentrated on peak hp, so camtiming was adjusted that way (lump in idle when he stops in middle of drift session sort of gives it away, as Poncams usually give engine a smoothish idle) -

Last edited by Skym; 11-27-2010, 09:17 PM.
                              RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Working...
                              X