Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Cooler

Hey Guys

Looking to get an oil cooler for my rb20det wondering what kits people are going with and how hard of an install did you guys find it. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Originally posted by pmurr181 View Post
    Hey Guys

Looking to get an oil cooler for my rb20det wondering what kits people are going with and how hard of an install did you guys find it. Any recommendations?

Thanks
    Order all the pieces (core, lines fittings etc) from a place like Summit Racing and put the kit together yourself. I've done that a few times. Much better than spending $1000 on some JDM brand.

Make sure you get an oil thermostat as well.

Comment

I second Silvia_Drift's comments. Go to Jegs or Summit and just buy the basic components. They're very simple to install. HKS/Greedy/Tomei stuff is just not worth it.
      '93 R33 Gts25T Inked Art Car - SOLD

See the Sharpie makeover, and other inked cars from around the world
      at www.inkedartcars.com

Comment

I'm just going to buy grex oil block and relocate block and get my own lines and fittings made up.
        Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

where is summit racing? or Jegs? I am liking that idea much better

Comment

Online mail order sources. Excellent prices and fast shipping. I've used them both for 20+ years.
            '93 R33 Gts25T Inked Art Car - SOLD

See the Sharpie makeover, and other inked cars from around the world
            at www.inkedartcars.com

Comment

perfect thanks guys. What would i be looking to order? Core, lines.... How do i know what type of sandwich plate ( i think thats what its called) to complete the install?

Comment

From here -

Setrab oilcooler cores are hp rated, etc and used by Ferrari, etc. Up to 320hp a 19row oilcooler core is more than enough for mild tuned RB20DET (can upgrade core later on). I would suggest you buy the Setrab mounting brackets and some aluminium sheets for custom ducting, bolts + nuts to hold ducting panels to oilcooler core together, etc.

Also can use a Mocal sandwich plate with inbuilt thermostat -

Fittings, etc -

Basically select core size based on engine hp, etc, fitting size, hose to match fittings and fittings to match on sandwich plate.

Always use fittings from same manufacturer to prevent oil leaks. If Setrab oilcooler core use Setrab fittings. If Mocal sandwich plate use Mocal fittings.
                Last edited by Skym; 06-18-2011, 03:10 AM.
                RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

perfect thanks skym

Comment

I'm still a little confused at which size of sandwich plate to use?

Comment

I think is 3/4-16UNF for Skyline RB engine.

Also according to Greedy / Trust it's 3/4-16UNF (comparing "code" of HCR32 / RB20DET kit to single element under it) -

I guess that backs it up.
                      Last edited by Skym; 06-20-2011, 04:34 AM.
                      RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Well I have decided after this thread that I am going to buy 4 blocks,2 cores and some lines and fittings. I can stand changing the oil on the rb25 with the greedy intake manifold or on the rb26 the way it sits.

Maybe we should just get a group buy in on the greddy ones. I'll grab 2 of each different kind(2 different kind of oil blocks(one of the engine and other to relocate filter.) I would like to go with a setrab cooler though. Pmurr this is what I would personally do. All in all might cost you 500$ for a solid setup.
                        Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

I would use HKS remote plate setup with Setrab core. The HKS plates (I gather they are Earls brand? due to them using Earls fittings, etc or could be made by HKS) have a pressure diversion feature (also thermostat). Basically if core gets crushed or hit (accident when drifting or rock hits core) the HKS plates divert oil through engine (bypass oilcooler core). At least that's how I understand it.
                          Last edited by Skym; 06-20-2011, 03:27 PM.
                          RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

yeah that would be a soild set up. How would we go about doing a group buy? I am not ready to buy yet because i just bought new bumper and it needs paint That makes sense skym. I wonder if it does the same for a leak in the core? this has been super hepful guys thank you

Comment

HKS USA or buy through a HKS dealer. I found the part numbers for remote plates (repair parts) on HKS Japan website -

and plates mentioned, shown at bottom of this link -

I think it was R type oilcooler kit (R type plates) which is the remote oilfilter setup.

It mentions crushed core, pressure spike or something like that on HKS Japan website (need a website translator) -

I think I'm wrong about the rock part, pressure loss.

I know I was told to sheild core via using gauze (metal) type of material infront of core to help prevent rocks from hitting core.
                              Last edited by Skym; 06-21-2011, 04:23 AM.
                              RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Working...
                              X