Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 turbos in 2 weeks? WTF??? (sorry for the long story but wanted to be thurough)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 turbos in 2 weeks? WTF??? (sorry for the long story but wanted to be thurough)

ok I acquired a 91 r32 gts-t with a turbo on its way out but came with 3 spares two of which were to have problems one was supposed to be perfectly fine. after installing said turbo it was ok for a few days then i noticed small amounts of smoke again while boosting around 14 psi, i drove to work the next morning and it seamed to be ok and only smoking after i sat for a minute or two at a light. on my way home i stopped and picked up a newish MAF from the previous owner and told him that the turbo swap went fine and it was smoking a touch but not that bad.
    10 minutes later down the road a hose blew on my recirculating valve and the smoke started barreling out of my exhaust and i don't mean a small amount i filled the street to the point of people stopping or pulling over because they couldn't see!!!! i pulled over and popped the hood to see oil sprayed all over the engine bay. I also checked my oil level and not a drop on the dipstick so i burnt all 5 liters in 5 minutes. anyways that told me i blew the turbo, so i found another one online (rb20) and put that one in, cleaned out all the piping and intercooler, that one lasted for about an hour!!!! on 7 psi, figured i just happen to be duped into buying a **** turbo, i then bought another one (rb25) from a local guy and everything seemed to check out, very minimal shaft play, no signs of leaks and no harsh residue on exhaust side. i installed that one yesterday, i ran it at idle for 10 minutes or so and any extra oil left in the piping seemed to burn off quickly and it wasn't smoking, seemed to spool just fine and had no visible leaks, I jumped in pulled her out of the garage and proceeded out to the street as i went through first gear no smoke and i kept it under 1 psi to be safe as soon as i switched to 2nd gear and gave it some gas the boost reached maybe 3-4 psi followed by a sickening cloud of smoke as if i was using oil as gasoline!!!!! this as you can imagine didn't make me to happy, i just dont think i can have that much bad luck to have 4 turbos blow in less than 2 weeks.
    i do plan on taking it to the local shop so they can do a compression test and leakdown test to see if my stem seals are gone or if my rings are cooked, any other advice would be great thanks
    I have taken a few videos as well and put them on youtube so you can see what i mean

Last edited by Dayonaise; 05-06-2012, 06:46 PM.

Ok I can tell you what the problem is right now. You have the braided line hooked up, I doubt the said person that installed this line has a restrictor on it. That being said you have way too much oil going to your turbo. If you can find the stock line with the original banjo fitting and toss it back on. Also do an oil change as you will be low and have oil through your system. Clean out your intercooler, all your intercooler piping and throw some new oil back in. Let me know how it goes.

The video was perfect for finding the problem. Let me know how things go!
    Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

wow thanks i will find one asap and switch that out, I do believe its wide open from what i remember seeing when doing the swap.

Comment

also as i remember when i changed it out the ported plug that goes into the turbo was filled with silicone for some stupid reason and i think that was his way of restricting the oil flow??? i of course removed it!

Comment

does anyone know where i can find a stock oil feed line or a restrictor, i searched the for sale threads and nothing available maybe someone has one laying around they would like to sell???

Comment

Unless you set on having a braided line then I would ditch it and go back to Oem. On a gts it is really easy to replace while the turbo is still on the car, on a Gtr now that is another story

Comment

ya i dont care much for the braided line so OEM would be great as long as i can find one that is, everything iam finding is just the restrictors that are installed in the block nothing for the lines

Comment

took some pics but no clue how to upload them at the moment will keep trying, but it looks as if the ported plug off the turbo has a 0.2 mm hole on the inside to restrict flow to the turbo, hopefully i figure out the pics thing and can get some advice thanks
                Last edited by Dayonaise; 05-06-2012, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dayonaise View Post
                  took some pics but no clue how to upload them at the moment will keep trying, but it looks as if the ported plug off the turbo has a 0.2 mm hole on the inside to restrict flow to the turbo, hopefully i figure out the pics thing and can get some advice thanks
                  upload to image hosting site (tinypic, imageshack, etc..) then copy the URL or direct link and click the 3rd from right (small portrait with tree it looks like) and paste the link. very simple!
                  1989 GTR - summer toy
                  2011 Ram - winter beater

Comment

I have a set of oem oil/coolant lines for an rb25. Pretty sure there the same. They're yours for cheap if you want them. Pm me
                    I canz take this corner at 195k cause i gots AWDZ. Get real.

Comment

Rb25 are the same. And He is a good guy to deal with. Snatch them up

Comment

S#!t i just checked this thread a bit ago and didnt see anything so i bought a banjo plug from egay

but if its a good enough price ill take them anyway

Comment

Originally posted by cschepp View Post
                          . On a gts it is really easy to replace while the turbo is still on the car, on a Gtr now that is another story
                          I agree!

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

MY car is having the exact same problem. Put a new turbo on thinking the old one was blown but i think all the oil is coming from the PCV valve and then gets boosted into the engine
                            1991 Skyline R32 GTR
                            2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD
                            1993 honda civic b18 turbo

Comment

Now this I kind of off topic.

Sorry

But I'm putting a gt35 Turbo on my rb20. Obviously I need to go braided lines. Do I need a oil restrictor on that Turbo? Its not a ball bearing Turbo.

If I do need one. Does the restrictor go on the feed or the return?

Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
                              Currently rollin' in a 1997 Nissan 240sx こうき

The artist formally known as Cory Scheuer

Comment

Working...
                              X