Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 turbos in 2 weeks? WTF??? (sorry for the long story but wanted to be thurough)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

from what i have read the gt35 journal bearing turbo (which is what i will be upgrading to as well) needs a an-4 restrictor in the feed line with a 0.04 orifice, but thats only what i have read so please dont quote me on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillyb View Post
      MY car is having the exact same problem. Put a new turbo on thinking the old one was blown but i think all the oil is coming from the PCV valve and then gets boosted into the engine
      please let me know if you find out thats the issue cause my banjo bolt is restricted, what size orifice i dont know but i can see its restricted and leads me to believe i may be looking at a different problem like bad stem seals or pcv valve

Comment

sorry for the size of pics not sure how to make them smaller
        this is the inlet from feed line

outlet of banjo bolt

restrictor inside
        Last edited by Dayonaise; 05-07-2012, 07:17 PM.

Comment

a bit off topic but this is what i traded for this r32 and iam really starting to regret it

Comment

Originally posted by Phillyb View Post
            MY car is having the exact same problem. Put a new turbo on thinking the old one was blown but i think all the oil is coming from the PCV valve and then gets boosted into the engine
            so i found a thread that explains how to test your PCV valve, you have to take it off and shake it to see if the ball rattles freely inside and blow into the threaded end it SHOULD NOT let air pass through and if you suck through the threaded end it SHOULD let air pass through, clean it out with some brake clean and hope for the best.
            mine was fine but is still smoking badly so hopefully this new restrictor ets here soon and i can see if thats my issue if not iam leaning towards bad stem seals, hope that helps

Comment

well i taped up the split hose (for today) on my recirculating valve and now it will idle fine and no smoke unless i hammer on the gas, i took it for a drive down the road and only a small amount of smoke was present and figured it was just the laftover oil in the piping but when i stepped on it to about 4500 rpm and maybe 5 psi out came the famous white billowing cloud so i think iam still looking at a bigger issue than i had originally thought but will still try the new banjo fitting and do a compression/leakdown test to rule everything out.
              if i had any intake leaks would that cause it to smoke?

Comment

just to update, I replaced the recirculating valve hose that is blown in the video and now it doesnt smoke or burn oil and runs great????

Comment

Probably a case of check, eliminate until find problem. Also usually find other problems at same time.

Could have been running rich, but from my experience it would pop flames from exhaust (popping sound). Check o2 sensor, as when have a lazy o2 sensor, it can make ECU make engine run rich when offboost, cruising.

You'll know when engine is running really rich (bigger injectors, stock tune), as will do this -

Glenn puts 550cc injectors with a hks 25/30 turbo and finds it un a bit rich on first startup

Usually white smoke (big white cloud) can mean oil in the exhaust due to blown rear oil seal on turbo. Main cause I've seen that causes this failure (even on a rebuilt turbo) is blocked PCV system or using a restrictive catchcan with airfilter on top.

Also could be headgasket failure (oil or coolant), but white smoke would be there all the time (need to do compression test). Rings probably would make smoke appear and disappear.

Probably need to remove exhaust and inspect shaft play (make sure it's not touching housing) and check for oil leak. Out of balance turbo can chew up turbo oilseal. It happened to my cars stock turbo on compressor side and filled intakepiping, idle valves, intercooler, etc with oil and turbo wailed, then started making a wacking noise (compressor wheel was really out of balance). Also clean exhaust or it probably will smoke for a while afterwards.
                  RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Working...
                  X