X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forged vs cast wheels on GTST?

edited by S
    Last edited by Stardust; 05-22-2013, 08:13 PM. Reason: to clarify

Those type of wheels probably will be heavier than GTS-T wheels and just adding more unsprung weight. You'll have to make sure suspension can handle the extra unsprung weight.

From what I understand, rims can fail (even stock GTR and can crack on the spokes) if they are powercoated (process weakens the metal) and then hit curbs / ripple strips on racetrack where they can crack. That's why you paint rims, not powdercoat them. Same problem with chroming wheels.

Stock R32GTR rims are forged and much lighter than cast GTS-T rims and I would just use those stock GTR rims with semislicks or buy another set of stock GTR rims (R33 GTR or R34GTR) with cheap tyres for road use.

Or try and find stock rims from other stock Nissan's like S15, R34GTT, etc, from a Toyota, etc.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Cast wheels are much better than they used to be even 5 years ago let alone 10 hears ago. I run cast on my car with no worries at all, high end forged is for guys that actually race. Hell, there's a few guys with new GTRs (they weigh in at 3800lbs) racing the crap out of them on rough as hell tracks on Rota Grids, they hold up just fine.

You can pose and look really good doing it for about a third of the cost. If you want to go wide 18" though, you better go forged, cast will weigh a tonne.

Jon.
      Last edited by Dragon Humper; 01-05-2013, 09:19 PM.
      Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Design depends on what you like, what suits car and purpose of car with those rims. If want good brake cooling, make sure there's bigger gaps between spokes.
        RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Originally posted by Stardust
          Yay! Ordered my wheels (and tires)! I shamelessly copied the set up I've seen and loved in the GTS fitment thread. Went with cast wheels after all. Very excited!
          Which is....
          Jordie Lewis
          1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

Its always great when people are helpful.
            Jordie Lewis
            1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

Nice I just bought thoes wheels too! 17 x 9.5 +15. 215/45 up front and 235/40 rear. I had to cut the inside of the side skirt to fit them though and a pretty good roll. Fit perfectly!
              Built R32 GTR, BW S362, 682awhp @ 28psi

Comment

ahhh mb battles, so much bang for buck!

Comment

Working...
                X