No announcement yet.

High oil temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

19 row is good to around 320hp at engine and engine is producing around 360hp. At that hp level you would need a 25 row oil cooler, but also would need a higher pressure N1 oil pump with Reimax gears, oil restrictors to stop too much oil getting to head and starving sump of oil, sump mods (minimum baffle plates, but upgraded larger capacity sump with box section, trapdoors, etc is better).
    Last edited by Skym; 07-03-2013, 03:38 PM.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Wow, thanks for the info Skym, I did not think my setup would warrant such mods. I will keep this in mind and probably get a N1 pump at least when I do timing belt, waterpump, idlers and such.

Originally posted by Skym View Post
      19 row is good to around 320hp at engine and engine is producing around 360hp. At that hp level you would need a 25 row oil cooler, but also would need a higher pressure N1 oil pump with Reimax gears, oil restrictors to stop too much oil getting to head and starving sump of oil, sump mods (minimum baffle plates, but upgraded larger capacity sump with box section, trapdoors, etc is better).
      sigpic

Comment

You're welcome.

I would think anything over 10-13 row oil cooler core you need a higher pressure oil pump, as the pressure can drop with bigger oil cooler cores (manufacturer mentions this and by how much). RB20DET oil pump has less pressure than stock RB26DETT oil pump (8psi or so less), so I would think only works with a 10-13 row oilcooler core or similar that you see in most Japanese oil cooler kits. Maybe 10 row core to be safe with stock RB20DET oil pump, as they use up to 13 row with stock RB26 oil pump.

Also higher pressure, volume pumps moves more oil and don't want sump running dry hence a enlarged sump is needed (to make sure it doesn't run out of oil in sump). I think enlarged sump (At least 7 litre +, you would have to do the calculations on how much oil the oil pump moves to see how big sump needs to be) is usually needed with only Tomei or Group-A oil pumps, as they move alot of oil, but best to be safe on racetrack with a bigger capacity, upgraded sump due to higher G's when braking, cornering (1.2G + that can uncover pickup), fitting a N1 oil pump with Reimax gears.

With bigger oil cooler cores, just like they run on stock 600hp Lambourghini's (looks like a 50 row), they have a dry sump pump, etc. But on Group-A GTR racecars (Gibson Group-A racecar as one example which produced around 640hp at engine) they run 2x smaller cores in each guard (I think was 2x 19 row cores, maybe bordering on switching to 2x 25 row cores) and Group-A oil pump seems to work with those (Tomei oil pump is similar to Group-A oil pump, but Tomei oil pump has adjustable pressure, etc).
        Last edited by Skym; 07-03-2013, 06:06 PM.
        RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Originally posted by Skym View Post
          Am I the only one that thinks this sounds like a ****-ton of overkill for 360 crank horsepower?

Edit: I'm an idiot, I thought I was in the gtr section..
          *backs away slowly*
          Last edited by quadracer111; 07-03-2013, 06:12 PM.
          BNR32- Sold
          1998 Evolution V

Comment

It may seem that way, but it's best to set car up for all scenario's it will encounter (road, which includes high speed turns, racetrack, etc).
            RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Working...
            X