SBC R32 Beleivers only plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBC R32 Beleivers only plz

I love the Nissan Skyline, I also love chevy 350's so I thought why not put 2 and 2 together and get a BEAST. Now I know its not going to be just a drop in project but over the last couple weeks Ive been looking at empty R32 GTS-T engine bays and i think it wouldnt be the hardest thing in the world to do. The first major problem to deal with is engine clearance (mainly the oil pan being able to clear the cross member) Now what i was think is instead of using the normal rear sump system that most chevy 350's use a 62-67 chevy2/ nova front sump siystem which will put the sump exactly where a RB2.0's is. The next problems i would run into would be mounts engine and trans. If anyone else has tryed to put a 350 in a R32 please reply with any problems/tips. Another thing that would be very helpful would be the spec for the lsd viscous rear ends (would they be able to hold the power?)
    LIFE IS BEST LIVED SIDWAYS

"I drift not because it is a quicker way around a corner but the most exciting way."
    "What is power without control?"

Some more info
    Engine:Sbc 350 L98 Tuned Port Injection from a 1990 Iroc
    Transmission: 2 speed power glide
    Driveshaft:Chevy/Nissan Custom

"I drift not because it is a quicker way around a corner but the most exciting way."

Comment

I hope you fabricating skills are better than your spelling. Good luck, it will be unique if it ever happens

Comment

Having done a few v8 swaps myself (sbc 383 in '64 Austin Healey, sbc 305 in '80 Jeep, L33 in '86 944, and likely a "mystery motor" in my R33 GTO), the biggest engineering comes down to:

#1 Clearance - oil sump, engine and transmission mounts, firewall (for bellhousing), headers, hood, steering shaft
        #2 Wiring harness integration - there's no Painless Wiring kit for v8 Skyline swaps
        #3 Gear ratios
        #4 Shifter position
        #5 Weight distribution

Check out Hinson Super Cars for parts - the parts for a 240sx swap kit may help out on an R32 chassis. Not sure if you've ever done a motor swap before, but do not underestimate the time, money and agravation factor to get it done. A swap "support group" goes a long way.
        '93 R33 Gts25T Inked Art Car - SOLD

See the Sharpie makeover, and other inked cars from around the world
        at www.inkedartcars.com

Comment

Thank you for youre useful input johnny. First of all i would like to say yes this is my first V8 custom swap, but I do understand that things like this take alot of time, money, and pain! And I do have a "support group"(no matter how much they hate me for wanting to do this, they'ed still lend a hand to the project) Okay now for the engineering list #1 Ive been looking at 62-67 chevy2/nova oil pans and opposed to the normal rear sump design they had a front sump design which would put the sump in the exact same place as an RB2.0 and if we have to mount the engine a little bit further back for the trans. bellhousing and #4 shifter, the crossmember can be notched For the trans. bellhousing and #4 shifter to fit even better wouldnt I be able to cut away and weld a custom sheet metal trans. well. #2 wouldnt a custom dash cluster with a painless wiring harness work? #5 Hahaha should be good for drifting right? well thank you once again i hope to here more input!! Also ill put up a few pics of the engine so far!

Comment

The best one I've seen so far was a 350 dropped into a 2nd gen RX7. Total killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
            -Bruce Lee

Comment

Thank you for the support!!

Comment

Man,

It's been done before, and I totally understand why you want to go with a SBC,
                there really decent engine, and the aftermarket parts are just plain ridiculous.

Here's a vid of one (please don't use a hood like they put in this vid)

Good Luck
                14 VW Jetta TDI
                05 Sentra SpecV - winter beater -
                95 240sx (RB25DET powered)
                95 240sx ( powered)
                89 GTR - Money Pit -

Comment

I wouldn't put any effort into a V8 swap that wasn't a LS(insert number here). The L98 is a heavy iron engine that makes very little power. I'm all for a V8 R32 though, good luck!

Comment

Thank you collector i think i just got wet hahaha, but yes your right that hood was very ugly. Needavdub, id like to start off by saying the l98 block is just as heavy as an RB2.0 block, and if i put 113 heads on the l98 the overall wheight shouldnt be that much of a diffrence. And i dont see how you think they make very liitle power considering the Ls1 makes 305hp and 335 ft/lbs whereas the l98 makes 250hp and 350ft/lbs The only reason i didnt go with a LSx is because i had a budget for getting an engine block and when i was looking non where to be found!!

Comment

New Ford 5.0 engine
                      Originally posted by kengeroo
                      that's what I thought when I opened the package..
                      ...don't drink and ebay
                      '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

I just went through the same as you. (V8 swap, but mine is in a second gen RX7). Everyone says blah blah blah weight distribution blah blah

I did the math on it, and yes, im running an alloy V8, but the 13b that came out weighs **** all. By the time I run fibreglass panels on the front to lighten it up again, and swap the battery to the rear to take from the front and add to the back, I'm within kui of it being back to how it was.

At the end of the day I dont care because its going to be a killer skid car hahaha

For the record, I nearly did a SBC swap in it too - like you because of budget. LSX motors are too overpriced!

Originally posted by BoostGetsYouLaid View Post
                        Thank you collector i think i just got wet hahaha, but yes your right that hood was very ugly. Needavdub, id like to start off by saying the l98 block is just as heavy as an RB2.0 block, and if i put 113 heads on the l98 the overall wheight shouldnt be that much of a diffrence. And i dont see how you think they make very liitle power considering the Ls1 makes 305hp and 335 ft/lbs whereas the l98 makes 250hp and 350ft/lbs The only reason i didnt go with a LSx is because i had a budget for getting an engine block and when i was looking non where to be found!!
                        -= ECU UPGRADES =- -= LOCKOUT BARS =- -= AERO =- -= SEATS =- -= ACCESSORIES =-

-= PM ME FOR INFO =-

Comment

LS7 swap = BOSS

Comment

Originally posted by BoostGetsYouLaid View Post
                            I'm sorry if that came off a bit smug, I should have mentioned that I spent most of my youth building up my TPI IROC-Z. Are yyou planning to keep the tuned port? The reason I suggested going for a LS over the L98 wasn't much for weight as it is for power. True you could get 245Hp in a stock L98 350, but it's been 20 years since that motor was built, so it's safe to assume some horses have left the stable since then. If you go with the L98 I hope you ditch the tuned port injection, it's a pretty piss poor setup for a performance car, all torque down low and it literally chokes itself of air above 5k rpms. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you do anything to the L98 (rebuild/heads/cam/intake?etc) you'd be at the same price point of the lighter, more powerful, easier to mod modern LS1. Just my .02, but if you go ahead with the L98 I can share a few tips and tricks I've learned to build power on a budget. Again I wish you all the luck, I'd love to see this happen.

Comment

Good luck man. I'm a huge fan of SBCs. Mine has been bulletproof.
                              03 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT "Valerie"

Comment

Working...
                              X