A 4-door R32 with no turbos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 4-door R32 with no turbos

Nissan makes other, dare I say gnarlier, engines beyond the RB, kids.

I've owned several skylines, the last of which some of you may recognize

And it was fun, cool, and reliable. But there were things about it I was not satisfied with;
    better traction characteristics, more angle, more wheel clearance, better weight distribution, more torque, to name a few.

Then I sold the blue sedan and moved away for a change and school. At some point there, I convinced a certain Kamloops gentleman of the prowess of nissans V8's. A prototype adapter of my devising, steep learning-curve, and 100's of headaches later, he is currently cruising in the first vh45 r32 sedan in the world.
    Lots of money spent for nothing later, I returned home with renewed interest and zeal. All of my concerns with the last car will be addressed and then some this time.

Courtesy of Feast and my importing work;

Parents kind enough to help pickup the chassis-that-would-be-awesome!

All-original and extremely clean, very little seen here will be left untouched...

Couldn't begin real science for a while, so basic necessities had to suffice at first;

Cusco c/o's, camber arms, hicas-delete, rack spacers, and rolled fenders did the business for several months, as what became know as The Electric Drift Car (thanks Ian).

people familiar with the 7mgte toyota will appreciate this shot

hahhah aweigh anchor!

partly stripped...

just need to drop the gastank and remove a few more hoses/lines here...

Nismo powerbrace costs How Much!? I'll make my own thanks...

Has to be the dumbest way to move a chassis yet conceived. Not my idea for sure.

It's a big lump altogether, no doubt!

Very, very tight fit. several modifications needed to even get to this stage, and a few more to come. The front tubs I made are also visible here;

If anyone wants to have a look or help out a bit, I'll ply the latter with beer or whatever. haha.
    Last edited by plankworx; 10-21-2013, 12:27 AM.

Awesome man! This looks like a fun build with lots of personal twists. Steering angle hell yea!
    Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

okay so several setbacks behind-the-scenes have slowed this even further, but recently;

Did some magic here (try to guess where)

Could then put this big hollow plastic thing here with a horridly blurry photo;

Yaay GTR gastank and pump.
      This has several benefits, namely: lighter, bigger (60L vs 45L), better pump location, and plastic so no internal corrosion.

Completely rebuilt R33 brakeset with HPS pads and requisite horridly blurry photo

Girlfriend was bored waiting for me fiddling with the trans adapter so she prepped the powdercoated S14 subframe and we installed it. Adjustable aluminum adapter bushings and solid diff bushings with adjustable caster/camber/toe arms.

I need to sort out a short production run of my trans adapter before I can go much further, other than engine/trans mounts version 2 and custom d-shaft.

Comment

Wow awesome buddy. Wish I could find a girl to put to work on my car haha.
        Dang! You got shocks, pegs... Lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Comment

Latest progress:

Got these back from blast/coating

Newer photos of front tubs... Wash fluid bottle still kinda fits, I hope the tubs aren't too small

Folded-over upper pinch seam

For the lower framerail lip, where rubbing usually happens, rather than hammering it I cut the lip off flush with the framerail then welded the seams together

Project-Mu handbrake pads

Current state of the interior. New kenwood speakers all around, installed by my girlfriend. She learned how to solder to do this

And where I'm currently stuck, trying to install new shaft seals in this bastard. Shaft does not want to come out

Comment

Tubbed fenderwells, looks really good. Its nice to have an idea on the finished product. All i have is cardboard cutouts to test fit. What are you going to do with the driver side/ fuse box situation?
            Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

Originally posted by Supraclean View Post
              Tubbed fenderwells, looks really good. Its nice to have an idea on the finished product. All i have is cardboard cutouts to test fit. What are you going to do with the driver side/ fuse box situation?
              Thanks, that's my first attempt at tubs. Make sure the front of the tower doesnt peel away from the top framerail after the cut is made!

I'm pretty sure the fusebox will still fit on the drivers side with a new bracket/mount. Not sure though as I haven't tackled wiring at all yet. Soon though, and I'm scared of it.

Comment

Bit of progress

Boxed R33 FLCA's (longer) with bumpstops removed

And started assembling the front suspension, spaced the front swaybar down about 1/4" to help clear engine

need an r32 hicas front steering rack now to continue

Comment

Hate to thread jack, but do you have more photos of your old car? the one in the first post? New computer, need to regain my old background
                  Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

^ there are a bunch in the Media forum under 4 door love

Took the plunge last week and cut up my front knuckles. Selling the fancy tie rod setup I had, hope to finalise the new knuckle geometry by next week.

Have been working on some interior bits lately too that are quite fun, tease photo to follow....

Comment

Modded knuckles and crossmember yields;

46deg leading tire

~40deg trailing tire

could've gone for more, but 265 rubber allows 8mm clearance either way @ full lock as-is. Geometry is such that heaviness near max angle should be negated.

Teaser...

Comment

After waiting 3.5 eons, machine shop finally finished some stuff for me:

One-piece DS with gtr ends, resurfaced z32 flywheel modified to accommodate VH41 ring gear, modified TOB carrier, pilot bushing adapter

VH41 crank face with bushing removed. Old bushing chewed up on the right, new w/adapter on left. The trans plate visible didn't work out.

Another view of TOB carrier and pilot bush adapter. Beginnings of a battery tray, Cima axle peaking out

Bought a pair of new tires. First new rubber I've ever purchased, hopefully they're worthy.... and can be made to fit heheheh. Also PBM spherical bearing inner tie rods. So. Much. Burly.

Comment

Originally posted by plankworx View Post
                          Nissan makes other, dare I say gnarlier, engines beyond the RB, kids.

I've owned several skylines, the last of which some of you may recognize

Those Wheels..... please tell me you didnt get rid of them...
                          Jordie Lewis
                          1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

^ shhhh....

hokay so, some real, tangible progress here:

flywheel torqued on with RPS street clutch I've had sitting around for ages.

and after a little modding and assembly, trans and engine bolted together. I hope this is the last time.
                            Visible also are the manifold extensions I ghetto'd on to ease exhaust fab later.

To save the headache of building the whole exhaust from scratch, and to prep for big single later on, here's a ridiculous Blitz cannon cat-back

3.5" tube into mondo can

Trunk setup is completely done. Came out damn clean for having no idea what I'm doing. Wiper+sprayer delete with siliconed plugs

Sealed kinetic battery, custom weld-in battery tray, 500w bridged amp, 10" sealed kicker. The strut bar snugly holds the sub box without any mounting BS needed. makes for easy removal if required ( tires etc )

Comment

For the sake of internet documentation;
                              1991 Cima left-side axle @ right, 1991 GTR left-side axle @ left

(they are the same aside from the outside hub flange on the Cima unit)

knuckle modding super-fun (note ~48deg )

Very hard-to-find speedo correction magic

Like everything else, requires a little fab to fit properly

Yep, girlfriends a babe AND can add a drift knob the proper-way without leaving a trace:

The Franken-diff! What a ************. Had to flip+mod the ringgear-side bearing cap to re-install the same bearing+spacer stack that came out. wat.the.fuq.

Consists of; Cima case, ring + pinion. bnr32 stub shafts, rear cover, Kaaz 2-way center. bnr33 input flange.

Attempted to bolt the engine in a few days ago. I goofed somewhere along the way... Need either a custom-bent front swaybar or move the engine/trans back 1.5" and be forced to build custom headers. looks like headers at this point. yay.
                              Last edited by plankworx; 06-06-2013, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X