89' GTST Build....not the way I had planned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89' GTST Build....not the way I had planned

Time I started one of these since my car is going through some changes. I will slowly fill in details. Quick history, I stumbled on this car just over a year ago, sold my 08' STi to purchase it. The car was actually in really good shape, it was already in Colorado and had a clean Colorado title, came through Canada as it has a Canadian vin. Personally I have been taking care of the small things, just getting it cleaned up and looking as good as it can with out spending too much money...don't have a huge budget. I've done a full turbo back, changed out both seats, new steering wheel and general maintenance stuff.
    The end of June this year, I was rear ended sitting at a red light and pushed into the truck in front of me. The elderly lady that hit me never saw me I don't think, no skid marks from her car and I heard nothing before the impact. Her insurance is covering everything included the truck I was pushed into. Most of the parts are finally in and the work has begun fixing it.

Mod list:
    Tein Flex Coilovers
    Tomei Turbo oulet, Megan downpipe, custom catback
    AEM dry flow intake
    Front mount
    Koyo Radiator
    J30 LSD
    6 Point Cage
    Recaro Bucket seat
    R33 GTR passenger seat
    Nardi steering wheel w/ NRG quick release
    Enkei RPF1 17x9.5 +18, 17x10 +18
    GTR Bumper and Side spats

Shortly after I bought it:

Just before the accident:

And the accident:

Last edited by grapejuice; 10-24-2014, 11:07 AM.

lol in one of the accidents one of the guys with safety vests looks like he's crying about the lost skyline. Good luck with the rebuild, hope to see lots more!

Comment

Wow, car looked super clean prior to the accident. Really like the color! Sorry to see it got in an accident. Good luck in the repairs. What size rims are those in the rear?
      My R32 GTS-T 'Swagger Wagon' Build : http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/63889-jareds-swagger-wagon-90-r32-gts-t-rb20-build.html

Comment

Ouch.....

It crumpled as it was designed to. The rollcage would have helped in protecting the centre part of the car.

Looking at that damage, I can see these parts that need to be replaced or repaired:

New front bumper support, radiator support and bumper to suit for the front as long as the towers haven't moved, new hood (carbon hood?? or lighter stock GTR hood).

Rear trunk panel (expensive new, so see if can find one from a junkyard car), trunk bottom pulled out (make sure this is match to rear trunk panel via a caroliner chassis machine or similar, as sometimes doesn't go back to shape properly if done by hand with a slide dent puller), rear bumper support, rear bumper.
        Last edited by Skym; 10-23-2014, 10:00 PM.
        RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Originally posted by JayRod View Post
          Wow, car looked super clean prior to the accident. Really like the color! Sorry to see it got in an accident. Good luck in the repairs. What size rims are those in the rear?
          Thanks! Rear wheels are 17x10 +18

Originally posted by Skym View Post
          Ouch.....

It crumpled as it was designed to. The rollcage would have helped in protecting the centre part of the car.

Looking at that damage, I can see these parts that need to be replaced or repaired:

New front bumper support, radiator support and bumper to suit for the front as long as the towers haven't moved, new hood (carbon hood?? or lighter stock GTR hood).

Rear trunk panel (expensive new, so see if can find one from a junkyard car), trunk bottom pulled out (make sure this is match to rear trunk panel via a caroliner chassis machine or similar, as sometimes doesn't go back to shape properly if done by hand with a slide dent puller), rear bumper support, rear bumper.
          Yep you pretty much got it all! I got a carbon GTR hood for it, found a used GTR trunk, used headlights and the rest we ordered through rightdrive...so new GTR bumpers and new radiator support and rear panel...etc

Car has been to the frame shop and trunk pulled flat, rearend was finished last week.

Plan is to repaint the entire car pearl white, I was able to save a little money finding my own parts to help cover that cost.

Comment

Couple updates, front radiator support is in and rear fender fixed. Getting closer!!!

Comment

Couple more updates, all of the body parts are painted, finally got the last of the parts needed from Japan and just waiting on a new radiator to show up, they did find a little damage after the fact. But the rest of the car should be getting sprayed this week!!

Comment

Paint is done!!! So excited

Comment

Love the white man!
                  Started rebuilding my skyline when i was 18
                  1992 GTST RB25DET
                  http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/54849-saved-my-car-great-scrap-heap-sky-redo-my-first-car-thread.html
                  Originally posted by Bravo
                  PS My wife just told me I was shitting in your Cheerios!
                  I'm sorry,
                  Good luck!

Comment

Looks great
                    Jordie Lewis
                    1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

ditto on the white, looking nicceeee
                      http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/39993-infinity-skyline-r32-gts.html

Comment

Busy time of year and haven't had the chance to update this but it's done!! Picked it up last night, was a nervous wreck the entire drive home . I will get some better pics once the weather warms up and have a chance to bring it out during the day.

First just a couple more progress shots while still in the shop:

And a couple quick shots from last night first putting some fresh gas in and home safe in the garage again

Comment

looking good man, keep it up!
                          91'- GTR - SOLD
                          94'- GTR

Comment

Originally posted by Ho-Sik View Post
                            looking good man, keep it up!
                            Thanks man!!

Finally got to take it outside in the sun this weekend and wow the color came out so good!! Hard to see in the pics but it looks like a completely different car now.

Now....want to get peoples opinion on here about something. The frame rails on my car are pretty beat up, the car must have had an off-track excursion at some point...didn't see these till after I bought the car. In my friends opinion (the one who owns the body shop that did all the work on my car) it's not a safe car ie. if I was hit hard than I was or in a accident that I'm actually moving, the car really might not hold up and be very unsafe for me. He understands what the car is and means to me but at the same time is saying this isn't the car to fix up/build. I do know that this was someones track car in Canada at one point. Here are a couple pics.

Hard decision right now weather to keep it or sell it...it just looks so good now though.....
                            Last edited by grapejuice; 01-19-2015, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Mine look the same, except that my dents are from being picked up with a forklift. Personally I'm not worried about mine, as long as the cars straight. Mine also bend a bit when i jack the car up.
                              Last edited by Modb; 01-19-2015, 02:01 PM.
                              Started rebuilding my skyline when i was 18
                              1992 GTST RB25DET
                              http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/54849-saved-my-car-great-scrap-heap-sky-redo-my-first-car-thread.html
                              Originally posted by Bravo
                              PS My wife just told me I was shitting in your Cheerios!
                              I'm sorry,
                              Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X