Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard that the R33 5-Spd trans (3rd and 5th gears) go out often ,is this true?

and how long can i expect my RB20DET trans to go out with a RB25DET engine on it? now...The RB25 is basically stock except a few simple mods so i should be alright?

thanks/.
    .......GTRCANADA.COM
    Canada's premier Skyline enthusiast club

Comment

i remember having to do this
      such a pain in the arse
      well worth it though

Comment

Originally posted by Volden View Post
        i remember having to do this
        such a pain in the arse
        well worth it though
        That is nice to know as I am fitting an RB25DET Manual that has an Automatic on my R33. Can't wait

Comment

Originally posted by 89Baysideblue View Post
          I heard that the R33 5-Spd trans (3rd and 5th gears) go out often ,is this true?

and how long can i expect my RB20DET trans to go out with a RB25DET engine on it? now...The RB25 is basically stock except a few simple mods so i should be alright?.
          u heard wrong. the rb25det gearbox is pretty much unbreakable unless u 1) cant drive or 2) have sum serious power. Ive fair thrashed my gearbox and it hasnt faulted one bit.

the rb20det gearbox is fair weak... the only advantage it has is that it has double syncros in the first few gears. The rb20det gearbox was based around the rb30E gearbox but with the extra double sycros. They generally dont last long when you put a serious amount of torque behind them (like a rb25det with a few mods). Saying this..... if your extra nice to it im sure it will last sum time.

Comment

yea rb25det transmission is virtually unbreakable on a basic street car or daily driver, thats the reason why some rb25 transmissions go for 1000-2000 dollars depending on mileage, they are good on any RWD nissan application, especially people doing rb26 swaps into their S-chassis or even just a GTS-T, and i know of a company who makes an adapter bellhousing plate for this to fit an SR20 and KA24 set-up

Comment

im not doin the swap but im haveing a difficult time putting my rb20 tranny back in and have already tried jacking up the oil pan and looseing the engine mounts eney other ideas its driveing me crazy i wont to drive my car lol

Comment

ummm rb20 box is simply to get in. although its so much easier to put the gearbox on the engine and put them in as one, i always jacked up the front of the engine a touch and they generally slide straight on. rb20 box isnt even that heavy really. easier with a 2 man job so one can hold and one can position it on. then do up the top bolts before geting the gearbox into the spot.

if u cant get a 20 box in..... ur gonna have a nightmare with a 25 box. they r heavy and physically bigger

Comment

i dunno im doing this in my drive way plus its damb cold out side lol
                  got it on some jacks i dont no why its being such a b****

Comment

ahh driveway jobs rock. so so SOOO much easier with two people. sumtimes its abit of a slut lifting and sliding it on at the same time.

Comment

yah well im going to try and get it in this weekened hopfully

Comment

How was that swap in an underground garage...any spectators? hehe
                        Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

I gather why gearbox mount, crossmember lined up on one car and not on the other, is the car the RB25 gearbox conversion was done on in first post, looked like it had a autotransmission in the past and was converted to manual. Why I think this, is they make holes for autotrans shifter that mounts on top of hole where gearstick for manual transmission goes and the holes are still there in the photo.

With auto to manual conversion on a R32 auto chassis, I think you need a S13? crossmember for rear gearbox mount. So the mount holes are in a different place on chassis for auto (transmission might have been longer??). Maybe a R32 auto crossmember that's designed for a longer gearbox might have made it line up on the factory manual chassis or maybe S13 crossmember??? Also you can change the yoke on auto driveshaft for a manual yoke.
                          Last edited by Skym; 01-13-2014, 07:21 AM.
                          RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

So i finally got my transmission and wondered about the r33 rb25 trans in the 20's place. I am wondering about the speedo sensor from the gtr, is there anything out of the ordinary stuff that needs to be done?

Also the cross member that will be used to hold the trans up what have you guys done to make this work will your previously manual cars? Anyways feel free to let me know as it will be a big help!

Thanks,
                            Chris
                            Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

nevermind I got the sensor done today and have everything sensor where it needs to be. Super stoked. Now the only thing i need to do is the trans mount and thats in a week or 2
                              Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

24. You CANNOT use the speed sensor of the RB25 since its electronic and RB20 uses a mechanical system. You need to get the one for the GTR. There is an info thread on this subject elsewhere.

I need help for this, anyone can PM me?
                                The GTR speedo fits in the RB25 tranny?

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X