Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RB25 s1/s2 vs RB25 NEO turbo - differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If non ballbearing CHRA, steel compressor, exhaust wheels = rebuilt turbo. Although, I think later model VG30DET had a steel exhaust wheel stock turbo.

Cheap and good turbo's never go together. Apart from engine, exhaust, wheels, etc, turbocharger is one of the most expensive parts on a car.

If you want a cheap turbo (I cannot speak for the quality, or that they can handle anything above 15psi that I read that some in US are running, due to being balanced properly and using high quality parts) -

It's sleeve / non ball bearing, going by the rebuild kits they sell. So could explain the cheap price, as the cheap Garrett turbo's are non ball bearing.

Bolt on for RB20, RB25, no mods to pipes, etc, except water feed. It looks like a rebuilt stock RB20 turbo or similar, but not 100% sure it is, due to no stamped Nissan, etc on compressor housing.

Other turbo's they sell -

RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Well that's interesting!.. Not much information lol. I emailed them, hopefuly they get back to me this week with some interesting info that i can share.

Cheap, however it IS an alternative and definitely something to look into.. Always interested in finding something somewhat original. How it holds up.. well.. perhaps we'll find out lol.

Still in the market for a 2871r as it seems to be the best/safest bet.. But again, always cool to look into something original.
      Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
      www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
      Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
      Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

hey marc, have you considered a "twin scroll"???.... look into those, they're super cool!
        The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

Nelsonmxmarc, I heard there wasn't a equivalent turbo to stock available (similar housings, etc). But the above turbo shows there is one available.
          RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

subscribed

Kyle
            Originally posted by funkymonkey
            You guys need to set up an RSPCS (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Skylines) and take a baseball bat to the heads of owners that bring disrespect to the heritage by being metrosexual knob jockeys behind the steering wheel.

Comment

yeah highflowing a turbo isnt in my budget, i got a quote of close to 2000 (1995) plus ship from AUS.

supposedly 25% increase in power, and it should hold the boost to redline.

Comment

That's expensive for a rebuilt RB20 turbo, unless it has a ball bearing CHRA???

Should only cost just over $1000 for a rebuilt RB20 turbo (non ballbearing). It includes cleaning housings, machining housings, balancing rotating assembly, new CHRA, etc. Boost, power doesn't drop until 7500rpm (stock rev limiter) on dynochart.
                RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Let me just conclude our findings to the S1/S2 VS NEO RB25 turbo debate so that we can finally lay the topic to rest.

S1 and S2 are Ceramic wheeled, comp and ex side.

Neo are the same, but a high flowed version of the S1 and S2 RB25 turbo, and the tell tale sign is the OP6 Stamped on the exhaust housing -

The Neo came with ceramic wheels as well and like the S1 and S2 will most likely only see 15 lbs of boost on a regular basis before failing.

The Neo did, however, come in a steel wheel version? Assuming Zacho's correct, this turbo from Nissanparts is in fact a steel wheel variant of the Neo rb25 turbo due to the Garrett Stamping on the compressor side.

Does this in turn conclude that the Neo/Garrett is an s1 s2 high flowed variant with steel wheels on both compressor and exhaust side? Possibly Ball bearing?

Check this out.. This is what i was actually looking at buying when i created the thread;

Comment

We do perform this high flow to the RB20det turbocharger, and you are looking at $1955.00 Inc GST to do so. With supporting modifications, you should see upwards of 25% increase in power. We use a larger wheel combination than factory, so you should see boost hold on a lot longer in the rev range, as long as the turbo is still fitted to an RB20det.
                    From GCG
                    its a little pricey for me maybe its including shipping there and back?

Comment

CXRacing has responded to my email..

Me..
                      Wondering what kind of information you can forward me on this turbo, part number; TRB-GT28-RB

A/R on compressor/exhaust side? Steel wheel? Ball bearing/ journal/ sleeve?

I'm assuming this is an OEM 'high flowed' rb20det turbo?

Very interested in finding out!

Thank you,
                      Marc
                      And the lengthy, intuitive response from the guys at CXracing..

It is the same as your stock one, not ball bearing one, but spools very fast. Bolt on replacement.
                      ..... lol

Comment

lmfao.
                        i think you better not use cx racing :P

Comment

I see. Interesting response.

It doesn't have "Nissan" on the compressor housing, so it can't be the same turbo. But maybe same compressor, exhaust housings. Sounds like a cheap non ballbearing turbo. Nothing wrong with thoses types of turbo, as it seems to be oil, water cooled (just like a rebuilt stock RB20 turbo). Not the usual oilcooled only with cheap sleeve bearing turbo's.

Would be fun to fit it to a RB20DET, turn the boost up and see how long it last's. If balanced properly, should last for a while. Or maybe get balance checked before fitting.

Love_boost, international shipping by air is usually expensive (I think by container ship is cheaper). Probably up $400+ both ways by air, taking into account weight, size. Smallish (similar size to turbo), light package from USA is around $80 US one way.
                          RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Ya, no branding is for sure.. kind of an odd response though.. I mean he can't be too keen on making a sale if he's going to short word something like that lol. Would be nice to know if it was a steel wheel conversion, at least.

maybe get balance checked before fitting.
                            I'd be more than happy to guinea pig, but my biggest problem is finding someone in the area who's even able to do the work. So far, i've only been able to find someone who can do ball bearing, steel wheel turbos such as garrett, hks and the likes. They're hesitant on rebuilding / balancing an OEM, thus my issue with finding someone to highflow it..

I would be down to try it, and i'm sure it would perform well, but for how long.. i have no idea lol.

Comment

Skym, any chance you received my pm? Still curious as to whether or not that turbo (in the pic above, and on the listing i sent you) is in fact a legit Neo Garrett BB/SW Comp,ex turbo.. Looks to be legit, and for the price, seems like a steal..

Comment

Yes, I'll reply later.

It's one option.

I read that some in NZ are running the DSR430? turbo -

That's in NZD, so cheap turbo. Shipping might be the expensive part???

It is said the result on RB20DET was 228rwkw / 305rwhp (370hp at engine) at 16psi and fullboost by 4200rpm with .63 exhaust housing. It's said the .58 exhaust housing might be better (I presume to lower rpm where full boost happens).

It's not bad, as HKS 25/30 produces 15psi at around 3800rpm with around 208rwkw / 279rwhp (343hp at engine). Roughly 400rpm, 1psi difference.
                                RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Working...
                                X