Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cluster Swap Issues...HELP!

Car is a 92 gts-t

Alright, hopefully someone can help me on this cause im about to lose my mind haha.

I had a fully functioning cluster in the car before 2 days ago, everything worked fine I just wanted to swap in a new one because the blue colour doesn't work with what im doing in my car.

I purchased a Cluster with grey faces over winter, and went to swap it in yesterday. Switched in my LED's to the new cluster and put it in. The Tach did not work and when hitting the left turn signal the outside light would work but the light inside the dash would not, even with a fresh bulb.

So I took it out, and put my origional Cluster back in and everything worked 100% fine.

Today I figured I would just take off the faces from the broken cluster and put them on my working one because thats all i really wanted anyway. So i get them off and put them on my working cluster, everything looks good so far.

Put the "working" cluster in the car with the new faces and now nothing works (except oil).

-Boost gauge doesn't work at all
    -Speedo doesn't move (although that could just be position but it stops at 175 if you move it, which doesn't seem right)
    -Tach started working a bit but is super delayed
    -Gas keeps going to completely full
    -Door light doesn't light up

I don't think that taking the needles off would cause a cluster to stop working, I understand that things might need to be re-calibrated but they shouldn't just stop working like this.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or should I just get a new cluster all together that already has grey faces on it?

Thanks,

Anthony
    Originally posted by Paradis
    ^^ hows not being rich going? ...haters be hatin

ya you might have forgot one of the plugs in the back or not connected it completly

Comment

err.. not this again

whats the color of the back of both new and old clusters?
      sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

ah same issue i had.
        nothing is wrong.
        odds are the cluster you bought is made fore cars before 1991, and since you have a 1992 it wont work. don't ask why, i don't know lol.
        i was super stoked to install a tomei gts cluster into mine but it wouldn't work.
        are the colors on the back of the clusters differnent?
        if so:
        the beige-backed cluster is for zenki skylines, pre-aug91
        the blue-backed cluster is for kouki skylines, post-aug91
        ^frankimans knowledge
        - Adam

:
        http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/44846-project-nashzilla-r32-gt-t-neo.html

Comment

Originally posted by amnash View Post
          ^frankimans knowledge
          amen.
          sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

lol
            - Adam

:
            http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/44846-project-nashzilla-r32-gt-t-neo.html

Comment

Thanks for the quick feedback, good news guys seemed a panicked a bit quickly before actually testing.

Derbeck - All plugs were def plugged in!

Frank - colour of the backs of the cluster doesn't matter as i stated im using my origional cluster all I ended up changing was the cluster faces.

Frank/ Amnish - you guys are right on the colour difference one was blue and the one that came in my car was beige (but like i said it didn't matter because im still using the one that came in my car.)

My problem wasn't testing it enough. So i went back out to the car and took her for a spin on the perimeter. the speedo started to rise up from 0 when i was around 80-100 km/h so i pulled over and tinkered a bit more.

Speedo: Looks like i found true 0, and now it seems to be working perfectly fine 0-20 is a bit slow/ delayed sometimes, next step for this is to get a gps and see how my numbers compare.
              Tach: Seems to be working well (and appx in the right spot), it's still a bit choppy and delayed at idle but when im giving it full throttle it rises smoothly. When i slowly revved it up it was sitting at 7.5 rpm when it hit rev limiter...Does that sound right?
              Oil: Rose up to 8 when i first started driving but settled back into proper place
              Boost: Settled in and worked fine once i started driving. held perfect at stock boost placement on full throttle

Is there anyway to smooth the tach out so that it's more responsive at idle/ lower rpms?

Comment

to check that the tach works properly drive in third gear and the tach and speedo should be in the same spots. third gear the speed and rpms are synchronized
                Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
                http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

the beige-backed cluster is for zenki skylines, pre-aug91
                  the blue-backed cluster is for kouki skylines, post-aug91

i had the beige backed originally, bought a nismo 260km speedo that had the blue blue back. switching it never worked, but many hours later and switching pins all around it now works if you take the time it can be done haha

Comment

Can you describe how to switch the pins to make it work? Please do... This could help him out
                    Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

^ should do a diy on it with pics wish i knew that before i got rid of the tomei lol
                      - Adam

:

Comment

Thanks Trav, i'll give that a try tomorrow.

Anyone know if there is a way to make the tach smoother?

Comment

Series 1 R32 from 1989-1991 is blue and later model Series 2 R32 1991-1992 is grey looking.

Doluck sell a 200 mph / 320 km/h speedo upgrade for HCR32 (Series 1 and Series 2 HCR32) -

Tomei used to sell a 300km/h version for HCR32 (my mate had this dash on his HCR32) -

Nismo sold a 260km/h version for HCR32.

Series 1 HCR32 -

Series 2 HCR32 -

Last edited by Skym; 04-14-2011, 12:25 AM.
                          RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

honestly diy on this would be nice if i hadnt of done it almost a year ago now and took some pictures haha. i just compared the symbols on the back of each tach and matched them up and seen what had to be switched by looking at the back of the pins. very painful i tell you.

Comment

Boo that sucks! I was lookin forward to actual pics and explaination.... Let down for sure. I will have to see the differences as I have 2 different clusters
                              Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

Working...
                              X