engine "sputter"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine "sputter"

Alright so i decided id just put the issues im having in this thread and see if anyone can answer them.

First off, not getting full boost. read about it here: http://forums.gtrcanada.com/general-...tml#post459515

Secondly, my front tires are both closer to the back of the fender causing rubbing when cornering. I have new Tension rods here, any ideas if that will fix this? Also putting new tires on and the new tension rods and then getting an allignment done. Hopefully that clears up this issue.

Slightly rough idle, rough start after sitting. Every morning when i start the car the idle is low, kind of boggy and revs up and down for 30 - 45 seconds, then goes up to 1500, then slowly drops to around 1000. Car idles at about 900 once warm (all according to original tach in car)

Car is running rich, BOV is venting to atmosphere and i have been told that could be the issue. Have also been told that it might be my MAF since the cars having a rough idle. Or that it might be my AAC? How do i go about cleaning my AAC and (probably noob question, first JDM vehicle) where is it located on the engine?

I plan on getting a front mount intercooler, aluminum rad, new turbo (T3 maybe?) with boost gauge and run around 12 PSI, gtr fuel pump and injectors. Any suggestions on parts to upgrade to make the car run better, faster and stronger will help. dont want like 400 HP, this is a DD but i like to have fun at times.
    Last edited by evolution23; 05-02-2011, 10:49 PM.
    1989 GTR - summer toy
    2011 Ram - winter beater

dude that video doesnt give any justice. you want to get help on the "engine tick" but you take a video of the exhaust?
    Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

noo im not wondeirng about the tick as it is very faint and doesnt seem to be an issue, even the title says what im wondering about. Listen to the exhaust, you can hear a kind of sputter in the idle. I am trying to figure out what the sputter sound is as it has just recently started doing that. it used to have a really smooth sounding idle but now its got this random sputtering sound..

Also the car is running a little rich which could be causing the "sputter" sound...

Should of clarified what i was wondering about i guess, but i am not worried about the tick right now as i have ideas what it is. Just wondering about the sputter that can be heard in the exhaust note.

Originally posted by Nismo_line View Post
      dude that video doesnt give any justice. you want to get help on the "engine tick" but you take a video of the exhaust?
      1989 GTR - summer toy
      2011 Ram - winter beater

Comment

Could be number of things man, if it was me I would go threw all the simple things. Replace fuel filter, cleaning your maf ,checking for air leaks via intercooler piping vacuum lines with soapy water. You said you found one but there could be others. Making sure you have the right spark plugs and properly gapped.
        Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

i was wondering if they were gapped right last night, they should be at 1.1 when running stock boost? and i was going to put a front mount intercooler on so if theres any leaks around there it should fix that. I will track down a new fuel filter and see if thats what it is and am about to go clean the MAF and replace the filter. Cant hear anymore vacuum leaks but when i go to the shop ill start with the soapy water.

My A/C has a leak, positive A/C has nothing to do with this though.

Any other ideas are appreciated. I want to put about $1000 - $2000 in engine mods to get some more power so i will also fix this idle as well. Wondering if it could be the IAC? had issues with the idle on my silverado and all it needed was a new the new IAC valve.
          1989 GTR - summer toy
          2011 Ram - winter beater

Comment

i would remove aac and clean sounds like its getting plugged up

Comment

What would be best for cleaning it really good? And the AAC is the same as an IAC, correct? my car, while making the "sputter" idles roughly around 900rpm (according to the tach). after the new filter and cleaning of the MAF it starts quicker and idles up a bit quicker but still stumbles to idle up after a being parked for a bit and is still making the sputtering sound. i am changing the plugs and have a front mount intercooler on way, along with new tubing/piping. I did notice however that between the MAF and the turbo there is a lot of oil like substance built up in the flex tube. Its a thick black oil it looks like. The previos owner put a Spectre cone filter on it, wondering if it might of been an oiled filter and was over oiled or the oil was just drawn out of it?

Anyways i will try and remove the AAC tomorrow to clean it up a bit and update if it helped or not. Thanks!

Originally posted by derbeck View Post
              i would remove aac and clean sounds like its getting plugged up
              1989 GTR - summer toy
              2011 Ram - winter beater

Comment

I have the exact same idle. Other than that the car runs great. I am going to clean the aac valve next. Here is a diy. http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...ry+air+control
                sigpic

Comment

If you have exhaust sputtering and you have increases your boost, you need to put the spark plug gap at 0.8. Work fine for me at 400HP (14psi)
                  We produced with spartan air.

Comment

Working...
                  X