Boost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost?

Why cant i build boost in first gear? I have no problem in any other gear but im just wondering why when im in neutral or parked i cant build boost to show off my bov? Thx

Mine starts building around 3-3.5k rpm, normally rev it up to 6.5-7k and then release it, gives a nice woosh sound
    '12 Kia Forte - Winter/Summer car
    '91 Skyline GTR - Weekend Fun/Project car

Comment

You should normally only be able to build boost under load. If you're in neutral it's not going to happen unless you are running a rev limiter of some sort.
      R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
      http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

So you can't build boost while neutral, parked OR in first?
        Originally posted by kengeroo
        that's what I thought when I opened the package..
        ...don't drink and ebay
        '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by Snake556 View Post
          So you can't build boost while neutral, parked OR in first?
          No i cant build boost in any of those. Its a 5 spd as well if that makes a difference.

Comment

Like DarkCaporal said, you should only be able to build boost under load. But no boost while driving in first is... odd... :S
            ...don't drink and ebay
            '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

boost leak!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianV8 View Post
                boost leak!!
                No leak. I can build 10lbs every time and hold it there. The wastegate opens tho. I think i might be building boost but neither of my gauges show boost at all

Comment

When you punch it from a stand still, do you FEEL it boosting? It's a pretty unmistakeable feeling, boost gauge or not lol.
                  ...don't drink and ebay
                  '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

it is normal, your car has no load at a standstill :P

Comment

Originally posted by gtst_skyline View Post
                      No leak. I can build 10lbs every time and hold it there. The wastegate opens tho. I think i might be building boost but neither of my gauges show boost at all
                      Lol if you keep your foot to the floor long enough it will always get to 10 pounds, not saying you have a huge leak but enough. get a tester and test it. Chances are thats the issue

Comment

You may just be experiencing what is commonly called boost lag. Depending on your turbo, it can take up to 4-4.5k rpm to reach full boost (that's on a GTR, dunno about GTS) when going from a standstill.

Do you have a boost controller? If so what make/model?

If it's an Apexi AVC-R it has gear and rpm based boost settings and might not be set up correctly. This is likely not your issue but I'm just throwing it out there.
                        R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
                        http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

Don't understand this thread seems to bee all over with answers. You CAN build boost in neutral just got to RPM alot higher like around 6k+. Building boost before "launching" is not uncommon in racing. Not building boost in first gear though is weird, seeing as its a short gear though your probably shifting before it happens(?), but yeah the engine got to be under load for normal boost to happen... in my GTS spooling usually starts around 2-2.5k RPM and peaks around 4k ish... punching it off the line in first you should be able to HEAR it boosting yet alone feel it...

AAAND if none of your gauges aren't showing any boost then yeah you got a leak... vac lines running to the gauge(s)... unless i read that part wrong.

What kind of BOV you have? could be it's not functioning properly and bleeding...
                          You gotta pay to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                            AAAND if none of your gauges aren't showing any boost then yeah you got a leak... vac lines running to the gauge(s)... unless i read that part wrong.

What kind of BOV you have? could be it's not functioning properly and bleeding...

My gauges show boost in second through fifth so the gauges are working properly. And the BOV is a vibrant synchronic bov.

Comment

Remember that most of your "boost" is generated from the HEAT of the exhaust gas, not its velocity. Your motor is not going to generate much exhaust heat at zero load even if you're cranking it at higher rpm.
                              '93 R33 Gts25T Inked Art Car - SOLD

See the Sharpie makeover, and other inked cars from around the world
                              at www.inkedartcars.com

Comment

Working...
                              X