This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **WARNING **RED DUST ON COILS(picS)

It's only a matter of time before it happens to you.If you see red dust on your coils you got some serious problems.That's right...get off the computer pull off your coils and take a look.If there is red dust on them you'll thank me

Sorry to link my add ops:
    Full-Race sponsored GTR. Anything else is half fast!

Full-Race.com

thanks that's good info :shock:
    Marc-André
    _________
    2.2L RB20 GTS-T
    ECU modification enabled - PM me for details

Comment

Ya, I saw it for myself. Burton is the guy who rebuilt my motor and taking out Jasons. Said the tensioner corroded and the dust was blown up and over the coils.
      1989 Skyline GTR

"Want to Race? Save it for the track!"
      www.victoriamotorsports.ca

Comment

If you own an skyline and haven't changed this bearing with your timing belt by now and this hasn't happened.....your very lucky.It happened to me in less than 2,000 KM's after I got the car(car only has 110,000 KM's). This same red dust was on the original coils too.This should be stickied somewhere for people thinkng about buying one of these cars.I hope my misfortune can prevent this for someone alse.

Full-Race.com

Comment

I agree
          Marc-André
          _________
          2.2L RB20 GTS-T

Comment

new coils splitfires ??? how did you find them notice any diff ???

tks
            clet

1989 skyline gts-t .. the slut ..

Comment

So that's the idler tension pulley we're looking at? Does the red dust get up there even if you have the cover on, or only if you have the cover over the coil well off? How hard did you find the job to get to the pulley?
              -Josh

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
              1990 Skyline GTS-R

Comment

The timing belt cover would have to come off and you would see the timing belt running between these two bearings.My Nissan covers were on so if the covers were off I don't think it would be any dust....but the dust was from the rusted bearing so you would see it on the bearing.If you haven't changed these bearings change them now!This has been a very expensive ordeal and really hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.And to answer Nimonewfs question,they did make a differance.The car revved sooo much smoother through the power band.Some people say they are a waste of money,but I don't think so.As for the power gains I'll find out in a few months when my new engine is broken in.

Full-Race.com

Comment

so i see you had the same thing as me
                  the damn pulley exploded

Comment

Yeah, when I bought my timing belt and other stuff from RBMotoring they suggested I change all the timing belt pullies as well as the rad and heater hoses, as they wear out all the time. I bought all that stuff and had it for sale here. No one even noticed. In the end they all went for a song to Qualthar.

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

thanks bro, im go look right now :|

Comment

Does this apply as a common problem for RB20 as well?
                        Andy B.
                        '99 Ram 2500 Cummins
                        '90 R13

Comment

Well, they will have the same tensiometer so the warning should also be considered
                          Marc-André
                          _________
                          2.2L RB20 GTS-T

Comment

mine only has 36,500kms. this should be relpaced with the timing belt and i will be ok?
                            1966 Pontiac Beaumont | 1972 Nissan Skyline 2000GT-X | 1990 Nissan Skyline GTS-T Type-M
                            1991 Toyota Celsior C-Type Supercharged | 1991 Toyota Cressida | 2008 GMC Acadia

Comment

my car have 155 000Km and wjem i've checked my coils i don't have that problems, my timing belt was changed on 96 000Km.
                              so should i'll replace it?
                              the turbo lag is just the anticipation of the boost pressure

Comment

Working...
                              X