This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning the MAF

You know, every time a MAF question comes up, we always say clean it, this has been discussed many times, ect.. but I tried searching tonight for a good definative step by step on cleaning and couldn't find it. Just found some scattered hints and tips. Anyone got a good step by step they'd like to post up so we can sticky it?
    So far, what I've gathered is clean the contacts with electrical contact cleaner, and someone even went as far as poping the top off the MAF and re-soldering all the connections?
    Someone want to help me out?
    -Josh

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    1990 Skyline GTS-R

I'm yet to do it to the skyline, but in my last car all I did was shoot it with Brake-Kleen and it was back to minty. Brake-Kleen is the greatest stuff ever, it can clean electrical, get grease off of anything, make some of the best flames shoot out of the exhaust and if you're feeling daring it will add a really nice kick to any fine cuisine you might make.

I will die a happy man as long as the entire time on earth i had duct tape, WD-40 and brake-kleen.

just spray the entire MAF down, low-pressure blow it dry and you're good to go. I would say try it while the car is running... but don't know what would happen out of a turbo'd car, worked great on my N/A talon.
    90 Nissan GTS-t Type M
    Originally posted by DrMango
    Your past girl friends must have really skewed your idea of what "tight" is.

Comment

I just used electrical cleaner stuff.... you would be amazed at how much crap is on that little metal screen.
      Race. Win. Live.

Comment

Well,
        I re-soldered my connections after cleaning twice(which did nothing) with electrical contact cleaner. Make sure it's plastic safe!
        I let mine air dry as you do not want to damage the resistive elements eg:
        the hot wire.
        It all dependes on what symptoms you have or if you're just doing routine PM's.

Basically you remove it from the vehicle, the MAf sensor of course.
        Look inside and find the perpendicular crossing bars which hold the elements.
        There are two of them.
        get your spray cleaner with straw attached and go nuts.
        soak it down and then direct the spray to the resistor looking wire element thing on the cross brace inside the barrel.
        Spray as much as you want and you will see the shiny wires coming through the gunk. Stick the straw through the mesh and go again.
        Once you are happy with the results, let it dry. low air pressure works faster but should be avoided due to possible moisture in the lines.
        the spray should clean everything off and evaporate without residue.
        Do the same to the contacts for plug.
        I went to the extent of using 400grit paper on the terminals to make them shine.

If this doesn't work for you then it's time to re-solder the connections inside the housing. It's not difficult but a procedure is needed for the apprentices in the house.

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Great posts guys. Thanks
          -Josh

1990 Skyline GTS-R

Comment

And if the pins that are connected to the plug are still soldered, you can grind off the solder that holds the copper cap that covers the internals so that you can take of the cap. Check the solder around some of the chips. They may be in rough shape, like mine were.
            For those whom don't want to do this them selves, my mechanic will be happy to do it for a fee.
            1989 Skyline GTR

"Want to Race? Save it for the track!"
            www.victoriamotorsports.ca

Comment

did mine the other day...

felt so stupid doing it. it looked like it was just installed the night before while i slept....

kyle
              Originally posted by funkymonkey
              You guys need to set up an RSPCS (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Skylines) and take a baseball bat to the heads of owners that bring disrespect to the heritage by being metrosexual knob jockeys behind the steering wheel.

Comment

So anyone have a chance to check this out ?

Canada Supplier of quality chemical maintenance products for Automotive, Marine, Industrial & Electrical industries. Also provides CFIA approved chemicals for the food processing industry.

crc maf airflow sensor cleaner Mar2006 new product.

My car has been giving me grief lately... a real random power issue, or in the case of idling... stalling issue... car stumbles has loses power for a moment, then usually... given gas... an a second or two... it comes back to life...

But even if it stalls... it would all but once, restart immediately with no grief... Some days not at all, some once.....or a couple ( I drive about 35 kms daily on the commute )

The only thing that is constant, is that now when it's cold... starting it, I actually have to use the pedal to get it to run. Which didn't happen at all the first 3 months I had it... turn key once, 1 sec, and voila it was alive.. now... not so much 8(

I'm going to get my hands on a can of this this weekend.

Thanks for the prev info...

J

Comment

I don't know, I think the cleaning of the MAF is over-rated, don't get me wrong I'm sure it helps as I did mine like the second day of owning my car....when it finally kicked the bucket like a week or so ago, I borrowed BigBlueR32's MAF (which has very low kms) and realized my car had never run right until putting in a GOOD MAF. It pulls sooooooo much more, ideals better, picks up faster, and get waaaaaaaaay better fuel economy! I should have my brand new one from Japan next week (thank you Adam!)

When it comes to a 15 year old, delicate sensor that ultimatly can make a healthy motor run like ****, i think investing in a new one is well worth the few hundred bucks! :wink:
                  Andy B.
                  '99 Ram 2500 Cummins
                  '90 R13

Comment

Over-rated ??

Well I completed a clean with electrical contact cleaner from Crappy-Tire. As that stuff I quoted earlier is a new product, and my local parts store ( Lordco ) hasn't gotten any at all from their distributor here in BC.

Placed a white paper towel and a white sheet beneath it whilst cleaning it out with the spray... and HOLY CRAP !!! Left quite the airbrush artwork.. something straight from shrink... " NO it doesn't remind me of my mother "... lol.

I removed the siliconed shut trap door on the top of the MAF, and resoldered the connections ( as I didn't figure that the 4 bolts holding on the connector plug receptical weren't the only thing holding it on and I promptly ripped the solder from the inside wires ).... Then re-sealed the door.. reinstalled the MAF in the car...

And voila... in 3 days, no stalling, no power loss... no idle issues... everything so far... is back to close to perfect.

Thanks for the info tendered in the thread previously.. it sure saved me some stress.

Cheers.

J.

Comment

Hey, i'm not saying that you shouldn't give yours a cleanover, as it was like one of the first things i did after getting my car. But even after mine went completely Kaput, I took it apart thinking that it was probably a solder issue, but to my surprise everything was perfect! The connections looked like they had been soldered a week prior. I gave it another cleaning (good ol' BrakeKleen) but nada....

Up until i borrowed the MAF that is in excellent condition, I always thought my car ran pretty damn good.....boy was i wrong!

I now have my brand new one as of yesterday, and the car runs even better then with the good one.

Point of my post = nothin' beats brand spankin' new! ( heh, i suppose that's a given :P )
                      Andy B.
                      '99 Ram 2500 Cummins
                      '90 R13

Comment

I think I'm gona give this a try over the weekend (since im working it anyway ) but Andy if your free, do you think you could swing by as I'd love to put in your new MAF to see if infact there is a difference? This could possibley be why I still don't have the pull I feel I should considering all the upgrades I've done and so on.

Good write up on the cleaning. :wink:
                        RHD DriftinG, DoeS iT GeT AnY BetteR????

Project GTS-R: 1992 R32 Skyline GTS RB20na-> Turbo
                        Mods: A few things .
                        Dyno Results> 209.2whp/196FtLb @ 7psi

Comment

My car only had 50k kms on it when I got it, but the maf was black man. Not a huge amount of build up, but a good blast with the contact cleaner sure made a difference. Only takes a few minutes and can't hurt either way.
                          -Josh

1990 Skyline GTS-R

Comment

^^^

Yep thats how I'm viewing it. I mean it will only help, not hinder so for sure I'll give this a try.
                            RHD DriftinG, DoeS iT GeT AnY BetteR????

Project GTS-R: 1992 R32 Skyline GTS RB20na-> Turbo
                            Mods: A few things .
                            Dyno Results> 209.2whp/196FtLb @ 7psi

Comment

yeah Bruce, next time we link up, for sure you can try it...I'm heading up to the cottage this weekend , so prolly be next week as we should get a WB/16th meet happening again!
                              Andy B.
                              '99 Ram 2500 Cummins
                              '90 R13

Comment

Working...
                              X