This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow... what a bunch of nansys.

someone posts about a HKS filter thats soo old it falls apart in water and thats the saving grace for keeping the MAF screens?? cmon...

If you have GOOD airfilters (ie/ NOT HKS sponge junk) then the screens are overkilll and DO add negative pressure to the intake duct. They are before and after tests... it makes enough of a difference to the MAFs reading (not turbulent air) that engines respond well to a retune AFTER the screens are pulled!!!

Thats real world. Not e-guessing or armchair mechanics.

'08 HD FXSTB: Denim Black, V&H Big Rads, V&H Fuel Pak, K&N, HD Inverted Front End, C&C Seat

'78 HD 93" Shovelhead rigid, 4spd, 3" open primary, 250 rear tire, 40 rake. (in progress)

'90 GTR 2 tone 350z blue/black, Volk TE37s, Greddy intercooler and suction kit, Blitz BOV, Splitfire coils, Greddy gauges, HKS oil filter relo / oil cooler, Rear LSD, HKS hypermax II suspension, soon to have new turbos.

Comment

RESOLDING THE MAF :

This is how i resolded my MAF, opened it by the top and i said : ahh connections are still goods. NOT
      When i unscrewed the 4 connection screw, it was EASY to take it off so the soldering was bad bad.
      I was less nervous to do it because i have a N60 MAF backup in case.

This is the opened MAF

Now, remove old dirt from connections and reclose it being sure that the 4 pin are in the slot and put some form a gasket.

Now, Solder the 4 pin carefuly and close the top cap with form a gasket or silicone

Now ... i'm gonna test my maf in 5 minutes ... if still doesn't work, i'm gonna put the n60

5 min later ...

WOAH the car is running well ! So i bought a n60 MAF for absolutly nothing ... anyways, its all fine for me ahah the car is running.
      1989 Midnight Blue Gts-T - Apexi Air Filter, Decat, 3" Catback Exhaust, Bailey Motorsport BOV

T3/T4 Arrived, Project for 2008 :P

Comment

is the n60 MAF the same as the stock rb20 maf's? or is it bigger?

what is the n60 maf off of?

Comment

I believe it's off a nissan maxima

Comment

so would it be the same as a stock rb20 maf then or is it bigger?

Comment

Nissan MAXIMA and Nissan CEFIRO rb20det in japan, in others forums they say that it run very well ...

Hint : if you put the n60 and dont want to cut the plug in the car, unsolder your j60 maf plug and switch it on the other one.

Good luck
              1989 Midnight Blue Gts-T - Apexi Air Filter, Decat, 3" Catback Exhaust, Bailey Motorsport BOV

T3/T4 Arrived, Project for 2008 :P

Comment

Hey,
                my car is idling at about 2 grand and im cutting out under high throttle
                i cleaned my maf and no dice,
                ive tried a whole bunch of other things, checking for boost leaks, coils, plugs, throttle position sensor, reset my ecu, pcv...

think i might have a f** ed maf?
                Skyline hipster owl

Comment

Yes it sounds like your maf is toast. have you tried resoldering it.

Try reading my hesitation/problem solving thread. Should clear up a lot of your probs.

Comment

Another +1 for the MAF cleaning.

Took about 5 minutes to do today along with filter change and the car idles really really quiet and stable.

Left the two mesh on.

Comment

Originally posted by mightyrocker View Post
                      Hey,
                      my car is idling at about 2 grand and im cutting out under high throttle
                      i cleaned my maf and no dice,
                      ive tried a whole bunch of other things, checking for boost leaks, coils, plugs, throttle position sensor, reset my ecu, pcv...

think i might have a f** ed maf?
                      my car was doing pretty much the same thing and i found cleaning the MAF did nothing so i resoidered it and it ran perfect after.
                      60% of the time my car is on the road all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by TK-GTS View Post
                        my car was doing pretty much the same thing and i found cleaning the MAF did nothing so i resoidered it and it ran perfect after.
                        Ok I cleaned and re-soldered the MAF sensor and the car has been able to hold boost now at .5 bar with no problem without cutout. At some point after like 10 seconds holding the boost it cuts out and I re-mash the gas and I am off after .6 bar to .1 than I have to back off because I have in-sufficient fuel to hold 1 bar, although before I installed my intercooler I was able to hold 1 bar without any cut out at all. I still think there is a minor problem and I am starting to really aim towards simply a clogged fuel filter or just simply a suction or pressure leak somewhere. I am going to change every single rubber hose in the car, PCV valve and dress up the engine a bit. Also I show 55 for my code so I'm good on that end.

Comment

Well my R32 is not running so good, low idles, and its running really rich. I thought, time to clean the MAF, well i aslo checked the conneter to the maf, and only one light showed up, my wire tester didnt pick up the other 4 turmenals, is that suppose to happen, or are all 5 suppose to light up? thanks for any inputs.

Comment

From what I understand you should use contact cleaner or proper MAF cleaner. Carby cleaner can damage the coating on the MAF sensor.

I think the stock MAF should heat MAF sensor wire up thus self clean itself when you turn the car off. Sometimes MAF sensor wire gets a build up of oil from wet type of airfilter, like from a K&N airfilter and can't burn dirt off. What makes it worse is the oil attracts dirt. This is when you need to clean the sensor.

My car has a Apexi airfilter (dry type airfilter) which is really good at filtering incoming air, but doesn't have oil that affects the MAF sensor. I had 0 problems so far with my cars MAF since running a Apexi airfilter. K&N are not bad airfilters, as they are as nearly as good as the Apexi airfilter filtration wise, but it's the oil that lets the K&N filter down. I've noticed Nismo has used K&N panel airfilters for their cars, but they do mention something about cleaning MAF.

I gather to clean MAF properly, your supposed to remove sensor from the MAF housing and clean sensor manually. The sensor element will look black when dirty and I think white when clean. At least you could do that with older style MAF setups.

With R32 MAF, might need to remove square lid, then screws holding circuit board to MAF body. Then remove circuit board + MAF sensor and clean sensor manually and refit, etc. The sealant used on lid is I think high temp black silicon? sealant due to being in a hot engine bay. Try to remove circuit board without electrostatically damaging the circuit board. Electrostatic damage can happen when you touch circuit board with your hand after scuffing over carpet, touching hair, etc. You can use a earthed wrist strap, special gloves that dissipate electrostatic charges, standing on a electrostatic discharge mat, electrostatic discharge mat on bench + touching sides of MAF circuit board only should help to minimise electrostatic damage. Or get somebody with the correct electrostatic equipment to do it.
                            RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Originally posted by Skym View Post
                              From what I understand you should use contact cleaner or proper MAF cleaner. Carby cleaner can damage the coating on the MAF sensor.

I think the stock MAF should heat MAF sensor wire up thus self clean itself when you turn the car off. Sometimes MAF sensor wire gets a build up of oil from wet type of airfilter, like from a K&N airfilter and can't burn dirt off. What makes it worse is the oil attracts dirt. This is when you need to clean the sensor.

My car has a Apexi airfilter (dry type airfilter) which is really good at filtering incoming air, but doesn't have oil that affects the MAF sensor. I had 0 problems so far with my cars MAF since running a Apexi airfilter. K&N are not bad airfilters, as they are as nearly as good as the Apexi airfilter filtration wise, but it's the oil that lets the K&N filter down. I've noticed Nismo has used K&N panel airfilters for their cars, but they do mention something about cleaning MAF.

I gather to clean MAF properly, your supposed to remove sensor from the MAF housing and clean sensor manually. The sensor element will look black when dirty and I think white when clean. At least you could do that with older style MAF setups.

With R32 MAF, might need to remove square lid, then screws holding circuit board to MAF body. Then remove circuit board + MAF sensor and clean sensor manually and refit, etc. The sealant used on lid is I think high temp black silicon? sealant due to being in a hot engine bay. Try to remove circuit board without electrostatically damaging the circuit board. Electrostatic damage can happen when you touch circuit board with your hand after scuffing over carpet, touching hair, etc. You can use a earthed wrist strap, special gloves that dissipate electrostatic charges, standing on a electrostatic discharge mat, electrostatic discharge mat on bench + touching sides of MAF circuit board only should help to minimise electrostatic damage. Or get somebody with the correct electrostatic equipment to do it.
                              Hey thanks for all the information, when i get back ill give that a try, and ill see if that works.

Comment

i have a question about this, my friend recently told me to take apart the maf and clean it. I own a gts-t, how the **** do i get the maf sensor off the intake rubber, not the box i have that part off, like the part that the screw tie is on there?

Comment

Working...
                                X