r32 turbo upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r32 turbo upgrade

im rather new to my skyline, just got it this passed summer and still am learning, wondering if there are any aftermarket turbos i can drectly bolt on to my rb20? preferably a steel ball bearing turbo no ceramic turbos, as well how would i got about replacing a rocker on a skyline?

any help is appreciated thanks

pierce.

hks gt-rs is a great upgrade and it's bolt-on:
    RHDJapan offers the best quality performance parts made in Japan including Nismo, Mugen, Defi, Spoon, Cusco, Tomei, HKS and other JDM brands.

Comment

If on a smaller budget and worried about affecting insurance, can get the stock RB20 turbo made into a hybrid turbo (TB03 CHRA + bigger steel wheels, machine stock compressor, exhaust housing). Good as a sleeper turbo where engine, turbo looks stock but produces more hp. Hybrid RB20 turbo produces 20hp more than stock RB20 turbo at same boost level (12psi with intake, 3" exhaust from stock dumppipe / outlet pipe, BOV mods, around 270hp at engine) without touching ECU tune.

Cherry turbo can make a hybrid stock turbo -

With any turbo upgrade a ECU tune (Nistune for stock ECU or aftermarket ECU) will be needed to get the most from it or make ECU tune safe (not running too lean).

Basic boost up to 330hp at engine with 1bar / 14.5psi and stock RB20 turbo -

Deatchwerks 550cc injectors
      Deatchwerks fuelpump
      Z32 AFM + Z32 AFM plug
      Electronic boost controller
      FMIC (stock GTR or similar size)
      3" exhaust from turbo
      Stock ECU retune with Nistune
      Upgraded single plate clutch
      PFR7A or so sparkplugs (let tuner choose heat range), regapped to 0.8mm from 1.1mm.

Can do the same with stock RB25 turbo (Hybrid RB25 turbo) if want more hp than above hybrid RB20 turbo.

I assume you mean cam / rocker cover gaskets???? If so, Permaseal camcover gasket kit.
      Last edited by Skym; 01-28-2012, 07:30 PM.
      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Originally posted by Skym View Post
        Cherry turbo can make a hybrid stock turbo -

Just met with him yesterday. Great guy and he'll take care of you if u want a hybrid. I know his done RB25 hybrids but not sure bout Rb20 hybrids.

Comment

Even a rb25 would bolt up great and. Ale some great power. 300-350 hp is a great number
          Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

I run an RB25 turbo, GTR intercooler, and intake and 3" catless exhaust. Everything else is stock and set to 0.9 bar or about 13psi. Runs very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
            -Bruce Lee

Comment

^ Me too. RB25 S2 turbo at 0.8 bar , Blitz intercooler, stock intake w/ Blitz SUS, stock fuel system, HKS dump n down, punched out cat and 3" exhaust. The turbo is nice but afraid too increase boost because of ceramic wheel and stock fuel delivery. At full spin, AFRs are mid to high 11s. Keeping it under 14 psi keeps those in check.

If the OP could find a VG30det turbo he would be laughing. Also, to the OP, its the exhaust wheel thats ceramic and not the balls in the ball bearing.

Check this out, should be stickied.
              http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-tech...urbo-tech.html
              Last edited by beacher1B0; 01-28-2012, 06:11 PM.

Comment

From what I have noticed, hybrid RB20DET, RB25DET turbo's use the same exhaust wheel, TB03 CHRA. The compressor wheel is a T3 60 trim on hybrid RB20 turbo, I think was a T04E compressor wheel for hybrid RB25 turbo.

The hybrid RB25 turbo on stock RB25DET engine can produce 369rwhp at 15psi (over 400hp at engine). That's with a Hybrid brand tube n fin FMIC, 500cc injectors, upgraded fuelpump, Apexi podfilter, modified stock BOV (so it doesn't leak), I think was a 3 inch from turbo into 3.5 inch catback exhaust, Link G4 ECU + IAT sensor, MAC? brand boost control solenoid, upgraded clutch.

RB20DET hybrid turbo TB03 CHRA -

RB25DET hybrid turbo TB03 CHRA -

Then as far as I know, just need to machine the stock housings, rebalance turbo, buy new gaskets from Nissan dealership, etc.

Also hybrid RB20 turbo should be good for a reliable 350hp (around 286rwhp) at around 14.5psi with the boost up menu as shown above + 1.2mm, 80.5mm bore Tomei metal headgasket, engine oilcooler.

350hp RB20DET can be alot of fun -

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                Last edited by Skym; 01-28-2012, 10:25 PM.
                RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Thank you so much for those links and that video. Now i have a whole new set of vids to watch.

And sorry to the OP and mods for bringing this slightly off topic.

Comment

From research I've done, the hybrid RB20 turbo, hybrid RB25 turbo (bolt on turbo upgrades) use a 80's??? VG30ET turbo CHRA (TB03). The hybrid RB20 turbo is close to a stock VG30ET turbo with wheel size, but with machined RB20DET turbo housings (as far as I know, VG30ET has a bigger A/R housings which makes it less responsive). Also later model VG30DET turbo should fit if can find one.

The hybrid RB20, RB25 turbo's works with stock cams or Tomei Poncams if want more hp (from dyno result's, roughly extra 24hp or so at same boost level with ECU retune). The cams increase hp of engine, just like what can be done with NA engine. It's another way to have same hp but at lower boost level for reliability. Also I would change valve springs at same time, as tend to get valve bounce at around 7500rpm, which is where hybrid stock RB20 turbo has it's peak hp with stock ECU tune. With ECU retune, can bring peak hp down to 6000rpm which is safer with stock valve springs.
                    RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

for 300whp would you suggest rb20 hybrid or rb25 hybrid?? I want response and reliable setup, for street now, I'll try some lapping days too.

Comment

Working...
                      X