Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinding from third to fourth gear at higher rpm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding from third to fourth gear at higher rpm.

I'd like to start with an apology if this post has already been done before, but I searched all my keywords twice and both times came back with nothing. Anyway, I'm running a basicly stock 95 gtst. I've been having problems with shifting from 3rd to 4th gear at high rpm. I'm putting my foot to the floor on the clutch, but it still grinds unless I wait for the rpm to drop then slide the gear shift slowly back into 4th. I'm sitting at around 92000km and I'm the 3rd owner. From the fairly detailed amount of paper work I have on the car it doesn't look like the clutch has ever been changed. I'm wondering if it's just time to swap it out. Correct me if I'm wrong but could it be that it is worn to the point where it can't take the amount of torque at that rpm? Thanks for all the help!
    It's the mind that makes the man, not the color of his collar!
    95 GTS-T RB25 R33
    Apexi power intake, stage 2 clutch kit, HKS exhaust, Mishimoto rad, DBS 4000xs rotors, yellowstuff pads, HEL stainless lines.

My I had my rb26 tranny rebuilt because of that. Guess what, it grinds worse then before from 5-4. So now my mentality is drive it till it breaks and rebuild it again.
    Dang! You got shocks, pegs... Lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Comment

Mine does the same thing. Installed an engine dampened, didn't help
      I'm putting syncromesh fluid this year, lots of people have had great success.
      If the problem doesn't go away I'm gonna do the transmission bushings.
      I can only imagine the stress they are under at high rpm and the clutch releasing causing it to move
      R33 GTST RB25DET series 1
      Stock motor, holset HX40, power fc d-jetro, bolt ons, 20psi = 492rwhp 364 lbft

Comment

I've ordered an engine damper, and a new clutch kit. I'm going to change all the fluids too. I hope it all helps. I don't really like the drive it till it breaks thing... Usually costs more that way! Lol! I like the preventative maintainance approach better. This things my baby, and I want it to last so I can hand it down to my son. Preferably with a lot more mods done!
        95 GTS-T RB25 R33
        Apexi power intake, stage 2 clutch kit, HKS exhaust, Mishimoto rad, DBS 4000xs rotors, yellowstuff pads, HEL stainless lines.

Comment

Haha ya I built my car ground up. Everything has 3500km on it and some things just haven't changed. I never expected it to drive like a Cadillac anyways
          Dang! You got shocks, pegs... Lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Comment

To true! Thanks for the feed back! Much appreciated!
            95 GTS-T RB25 R33

Comment

Is it possible your clutch slave is leaking???
              Can R33 clutch pedal arm be adjusted like R32s??? Changing how far the piston is inside the Master.

Syncromax and Shockproof are the Fluid of choice. I run Syncromax.
              Last edited by beacher1B0; 06-09-2012, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by beacher1B0 View Post
                Is it possible your clutch slave is leaking???
                Can R33 clutch pedal arm be adjusted like R32s??? Changing how far the piston is inside the Master.

Syncromax and Shockproof are the Fluid of choice. I run Syncromax.
                How do I adjust that? I'd like to give it a shot!
                95 GTS-T RB25 R33

Comment

If run a quick shifter it can cause synchro problems with RB25DET transmission.

Nismo solid shifter doesn't have this problem and they explain how the quick shifters cause problems with synchro's -

We design, manufacture, and sell automotive parts, as well as providing vehicle set up services, based on the technology, passion and spirit cultivated in the motorsports field as the Nissan works team.
                  RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

snycros, pretty common on all the skylines. remember 15-20 year old tranny that has probably been driven hard.

try that redline shockproof syncromesh tranny fluid.

Comment

I'm not running a quick shifter that I know of, one of the previous owners may have thrown one in though. Anyone know if that redline stuff is any good? And where i can get it? I did a couple searches, and couldn't find anything on it except in other forums. Some people where saying it eats syncros. Others where saying mix it with regular fluid. Help!
                      95 GTS-T RB25 R33

Comment

Redline is good stuff, i swear by it. You can order threw Napa if you ask the corner guys to special order threw Mopac.
                        Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

I had some grinding issue .. Used both the light proof and heavy shockproof and the light weight shock proof one helped alot

Comment

My GTR had 4-5 shift grind, I put Redline Shockproof Heavy in and no more grind, had it in there for like three years no issues . ( I don't drive it that much though but did a track day with it last year) you have nothing to lose,it's a no brainer pull trans or try changing fluid. Some say it eats sycros slowly I think cause of sulphur content but who cares if they are already wearing out.

Comment

Through in redline! Worked like a charm! Thanks everyone!
                              95 GTS-T RB25 R33

Comment

Working...
                              X