Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinding from third to fourth gear at higher rpm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is what u guys are using right ? http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=43&pcid=7
    2008 silverado 2500hd dmax 640whp 1200 wtq twin turbo at 60 psi
    1992 nissan skyline gts-4

rb20
    t28
    nistune
    z32 maf
    aeromotive fuel pump
    13 psi dynomatics at 231.9whp on slipping clutch
    1997 toyota paseo
    1994chevy suburban
    2008 victory vegas low chopped

Comment

Had many debates and discussions over the shockproofs. Final word from Redline is "its a GL4 fluid and won't attack the yellow metals in a transmission.....period". Got that from 3 different Redline sources (I like to be thorough). Put Heavy Shockproof in my car finally last year and it made a big difference over the witches brew of fluids I had in there before. The brew made a difference but I still had the odd grind in 4th, the Shockproof eradicated it completely.

Dead cold shifting is no worse than warm with the Heavy ShockProof, didn't notice any hard shifting at all cold.

Jon.
      Last edited by Dragon Humper; 01-21-2013, 11:38 PM.
      Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

hmm i may have to try that too Jon. Mine for last few years has had this problem. High rpm grind into 4th, Running RP Max Gear right now

Comment

I was leary spending that amount of dough on "oil" but it really did work as good as others had reported. Plus the power that I am funneling though a stock tranny, I needed all the help I can get.....lol.

Jon.
          Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

I've used Redline MT-90 in my Skylines. All 3, including my GTR do or did the 3-4 grind. After I swapped out the old crap with the Redline, grinds disappeared. I also substituted one liter of MT-90 with a bottle of Lucas Tranny Fix in my GTR, made a big difference. She shifts like a dream now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
            -Bruce Lee

Comment

I used motul and redline , both good
              , i agree with the clutch slave being weak.it s 15 + years old and the friction surface is probably all recked
              refresher time fluid, clutch , slave ... Break in period .. Like new

Comment

I actually did the MT90 in my tranny first thing after I got it home. Don't know what was in there before but it was dirty and needed changing anyway. Still had grinds in 4th after 2 seasons so I started experimenting with fluids. Put in some Lucas and some Dextron and that helped but not completely. The Heavy Shockproof did the most good, shifts firmly but not clunky. The MT90 brew I had in there was, I think, too slippery and not letting the syncros do their job. Now the trans won't go into the next gear untill they are fully syncronized. I had to adjust my clutching a little to make sure I don't blow out 3rd, but so far, I like it. Feels manly......lol.

Jon.

Comment

good to hear... my common grind is 2 to 3 .... its a longer throw and im always up near 6k.
                  I just pop open the clutch and 3 finger slam..
                  14 out 15 times its perfect... that one time I catch the lip slipping in gear and I and hear the "baseball card in the spokes" feeling for a split sec. pull back, slow down and pop her in. then shake my head at myself for a shameful, shameful grind... limp home cool her off, wash her and tell her im sorry.

Comment

Some oils stick to parts and that's what quietens them down, but transmission rebuilders don't like them (I gather hard to clean off parts). I think like Nissan, they recommend Castrol oil for transmission.
                    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Working...
                    X